9) S Cavanagh
10) P Spillane
11) B Mc Guigan
12) B Dooher
13) M Fitzgerald
14) P Canavan
15) M Linden

AZOffaly

Anthony Tohill wing back? Sean Cavanagh as an all time great instead of the likes of McEntee, Mullins, Darragh O'Sé, etc etc?
Brian Dooher on the half forward line, but no Matt Connor?

Ah well, I suppose it is all about opinions.

corn02

RRHF throwing in Tierney so not to be accused of anti-Armagh biasm?  ;)

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 19, 2008, 01:51:32 PM
Anthony Tohill wing back? Sean Cavanagh as an all time great instead of the likes of McEntee, Mullins, Darragh O'Sé, etc etc?
Brian Dooher on the half forward line, but no Matt Connor?

Ah well, I suppose it is all about opinions.

perhaps he does not have a clue about football more like

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: tieroan on March 19, 2008, 12:51:56 PM
Rufus.................again no Canavan, supposed to be the greatest of his generation, and I appreciate that it is opinions. I cant understand it how anyone in this day and age would leave Peter or The Pony out of a team. McGeeny was a good player but not a great one and John Corvan had bags of skill with heaps of ability but rarely produced.

Well, as an Armagh man and a Harps man, I will accept the charge of tinted glases, but as you say yourself, it is opinions!

Wee Peter's omission does not take away from the fact that he was an excellent footballer. I though do recall the great Dublin and Kerry teams of the 1970s, both laden with great forwards, and of course there was the incomparable Matt Connor.

Incidentally, the charge that Corvan 'rarely produced' is oft heard from critics.

What exactly does this mean? I can recall instances of Corvan producing it in All Ireland Finals, Railway Cup Finals, Ulster Finals and County Finals. The fact that many of these were not on National TV or in the public eye, does not detract in my opinion. Corvan was a bit lke a modern day Declan Browne. Armagh back then were very limited - that's not Corvan's fault!

It has been menioned before, but when Charlie Nelligan appeared on Know Your Sport as the mystery guest, Jimmy Magee talked about the great Kerry forwards of the 1970s a 1980s, but asked Charlie to list the great forwards he came up against during his career.

The first named - numero uno - was JC.

Good enough for Charlie - good enough pour moi!   ;)

orangeman

Again it's all down to opinions - also footballers in the 70's can't be fairly and accurately compared to those of the 90's and those of the recent times - but sure it's all good crack !  ;D

rrhf

Matt Connor; never had the fortune of seeing him in person
Darragh O Se: roasted in AI semi 2003,  In 2005 was well handled.
Was impressive most tiimes i seen him on TV but as for the games Ive watched him in person he has been good to fair, very close but probably plays at a lower level of football in Munster and that cost him dearly here, just behind another Ose.  kerrymen please dont be greedy.   Kerry have a lot of fine and nice footballers thats why the dogs of war stand out a bit more methinks.  
Tohill V Mc Geeney for the other half back slot, Tohill got the nod for being part of a more successful team, but was edged out of midfield by a man who was an important midfield cog in an even more successful team.  Artistic license was sought out for this one.   :P

bennydorano

Quote from: full back on March 19, 2008, 01:03:54 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 19, 2008, 12:09:39 PM

Ciaran McGurk (Armagh)
Greg Blaney   (Down)
Maurice Fitzgearld   (Kerry)
Colm Cooper   (Kerry)
Peter Canavan    (Tyrone)
Mickey Linden   (Down)

That is a shock inclusion Benny
I couldn't think of another truely outstanding HF tbh, McGurk was always a favourite of mine and was a great servant to Armagh(one of the best peno takers ever!), forgot about Neil Smyth, could have put him in there too.

Hound

Quote from: rrhf on March 19, 2008, 02:05:26 PM
Matt Connor; never had the fortune of seeing him in person
Darragh O Se: roasted in AI semi 2003,  In 2005 was well handled.
Was impressive most tiimes i seen him on TV but as for the games Ive watched him in person he has been good to fair, very close but probably plays at a lower level of football in Munster and that cost him dearly here, just behind another Ose.  kerrymen please dont be greedy.   Kerry have a lot of fine and nice footballers thats why the dogs of war stand out a bit more methinks.  
Tohill V Mc Geeney for the other half back slot, Tohill got the nod for being part of a more successful team, but was edged out of midfield by a man who was an important midfield cog in an even more successful team.  Artistic license was sought out for this one.   :P

Pretty much everyone has got a roasting at one time or another, not least Cavanaugh when he's been at midfield. His best performances in big games have generally been in the half forward line. If Cavanaugh had been from Armagh, he'd have played feck all at midfield.

Fíor Gael

1. John O Leary

2. Tony Scullion
3. Seamus Moynahan
4. Robbie O Malley

5. Martin O Connell
6. Kerian McGeeney
7. Tomás Ó Sé

8. Anthony Tohill
9.Daragh Ó Sé

10. Michael Donnllen
11. Greg Blaney
12. Maurice Fitz

13. Micky Linden
14. Peter Canavan
15. Colm Cooper

bennydorano

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 19, 2008, 02:06:33 PM
Paidi O'Sé benny?
Paidi has more than 'just' being a HF to his name has he not?  (Ciaran McGurk was a better MF'er than HF anyway).

AZOffaly

Ignore that Benny, I was raving. I thought you said half back.  (Paidi might be a lot of things, but I'd never call him a half forward :D)

Maximus Marillius

Stephen Cluxton
Paudi O'Shea
John O'Keefe
Tony Scullion
Jim Reilly
Kieran Mc Geeney
Martin O'Connell
Jack O'Shea
Anthony Tohill
Michael Donnellan
Greg Blaney