Michael Donnelan   (Galway)
Greg Blaney   (Down)
Maurice Fitzgearld   (Kerry)
Colm Cooper   (Kerry)
Peter Canavan    (Tyrone)
Mickey Linden   (Down)

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: mouview on March 19, 2008, 11:15:46 AM
In this thread so far, the mind boggles at the inclusion of Trevor Giles and cannot even comprehend the exclusion of Padraig Joyce, arguably the best forward ever to come out of Connacht.  Astonishing!!
I'd be a massive fan of PJ's over the years and I know where your coming from but its very very difficult to fit everyone in.  Below are my six forwards and PJ was just edged out by Linden.    

10. Michael Donnellan
11. Matt Connor
12. Maurice Fitzgerald
13. Mickey Linden
14. Peter Canavan
15. Colm Cooper

mouview

'Sfair enough but, absolutely magnificent player that he is, would the Gooch's 'body of work' yet surpass PJs?

orangeman

Some fantastic sides - so many great footballers it's nearly impossible to pick - pity some of them weren't around now to see !  :D

AZOffaly

Quote from: mouview on March 19, 2008, 11:35:01 AM
'Sfair enough but, absolutely magnificent player that he is, would the Gooch's 'body of work' yet surpass PJs?

I think in terms of who is the better player, and it sounds very harsh to say that, I think Gooch is better. And he will probably add to his trophy haul, which is probably bigger than Padraig's already. And in every trophy he's won, he's been fairly important, it's not like he's carried along by a great kerry team, contributing little.

I'd never denigrate PJ's contribution to Galway, or football generally, or his skill, but I just think there have been better players out there. My tallest pygmy comment was obviously with tongue firmly planted in cheek, and he joins a list of great players that just fail to make this grade in my view. That's why I want to pick 4 provincial teams :D

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: mouview on March 19, 2008, 11:35:01 AM
On the national scene, he probably has if I'm being honest as we (Galway) have not really done anything of note in the championship since the early part of this decade and the Gooch has been to the fore front of Kerry's victories.  I still think he has a lot to offer and I am expecting a big year from him in the 11 jersey.  However, its an arguement I would gladly lose!!!  

thejuice

1.John O Leary

2.Martin O Connell
3.Darren Fay
4.Robby O'Malley

5.Mick Lyons
6.Paul Curren
7.Seamus Moynihan

8.Jack O'Shea
9.John McDermot

10.Trevor Giles
11.Greg Blaney
12.Brian Stafford

13.Colm O'Rourke
14.Peter Canavan
15.Bernard Flynn

Yeah biased, but which team am I most likely to see in person  ???
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Uladh

Joyce is obviously very unlucky but as has been said thee are so many great otions. i tried to stick to players who'd fit the style of play i like to see. i'll risk the possibility of lynchingby saying that regarding pj i always had a doubt in my head over his "intestinal fortitude", rightly or wrongly.

whoever picked phillip jordan is just not taking the tread seriousy

Juice - Mick Lyons at right halfback? you'd be better swappping himself and curran.

the Deel Rover

ah you weren't biased at all juice sure you  only picked 9 meath men ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

bennydorano

1. If I'm honest I can't think of one keeper that stands out

K MCkeever (Derry)
Darren Fay   (Meath)
Tony Scullion    (Derry)
Seamus Moynihan  (Kerry)
K MCGeeney  (Armagh)
Tomas O Se  (Kerry)

Anthony Tohill    (Derry)
Paul McGrane (Armagh)

Ciaran McGurk (Armagh)
Greg Blaney   (Down)
Colm Cooper   (Kerry)
Mickey Linden   (Down)

thejuice

Quote from: Uladh on March 19, 2008, 12:00:25 PM
Juice - Mick Lyons at right halfback? you'd be better swappping himself and curran.

well i wasnt really getting to worked up about positions, but yeah you are right. But sure, positions dont mean anything these days, eh!

RE Deel, well you nearly include Paul Curren if you consider the colour of his blood-line and not the jersey he wore  ;)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

the Deel Rover

Quote from: thejuice on March 19, 2008, 12:11:22 PM
Quote from: Uladh on March 19, 2008, 12:00:25 PM

well i wasnt really getting to worked up about positions, but yeah you are right. But sure, positions dont mean anything these days, eh!

RE Deel, well you nearly include Paul Curren if you consider the colour of his blood-line and not the jersey he wore  ;)

Ah makes sense now Juice couldn't believe you picked 2 Dubs? :D why didn't you pick the meath Goalie   Martin Mc quillan i think that was his name
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Uladh

You rated McGurk that highly benny? i'm not sure he was any better than neil or jimmy smith?

tieroan

Rufus.................again no Canavan, supposed to be the greatest of his generation, and I appreciate that it is opinions. I cant understand it how anyone in this day and age would leave Peter or The Pony out of a team. McGeeny was a good player but not a great one and John Corvan had bags of skill with heaps of ability but rarely produced.

full back

Quote from: bennydorano on March 19, 2008, 12:09:39 PM

Ciaran McGurk (Armagh)
Greg Blaney   (Down)
Colm Cooper   (Kerry)
Mickey Linden   (Down)

That is a shock inclusion Benny