Armagh Vs Dorty Dubs

Started by Uladh, March 18, 2008, 10:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: EugeneGeraghty on April 14, 2008, 09:02:10 AM
Quote from: Hound on April 14, 2008, 07:43:00 AM
Quote from: corn02 on April 13, 2008, 10:47:13 PM
Vaughan did not want a piece of McKeever, would this be a worry to the Dubliun fans? When he came up against a physical opponent he shyed away. He was gettinga lot of stick from the Dub fans round where I was, mainly for being yellow.

Vaughan is under strict instruction from Caffrey not to retaliate after getting two yellows the last time he played.

Vaughan never stands up and fights, he just throws sly digs and elbows when his opponent is defenceless. See Freeman in Monaghan game for a perfect example
Says the know-nothing expert who's seen him play 2 or 3 times in his life.

Vaughan receives a hell of a lot more punishment than he gives.

Smokin Joe

Isn't football a wonderful game?  I wonder if I was at the same match as some of the previous posters based on their comments.

Paul Kernan took a serious roasting, especially for a brief period in the second half when Alan Brogan came on (before McDonnell switch Kieran McKeever onto him).  How some posters think he had a good game makes me shudder.

Stephen Kernan had a great day at the office.  I don't believe that any other man on the picth would have picked Stevie out for Armagh's 2nd goal.  They would have taken the score themselves.  His vision really is unquestionable.

Paddy McKeever had a very good 70 minutes.  The question for me is whether he can string two performances together like that.

Like everyone said midfield is a real worry.  Charlie Vernon should have a place on the 15, but not at midfield - in that regard he is exactly like Sean Cavanagh.  I wonder would corner forward be an option with him playing round the middle - though obviously that has us back to playing the 2 man FF line, but perhaps that is a price we can pay for a man who can carry the ball as well as Charlie can (we'll excuse the few fumbles and dodgy toe to hand yesterday).

So does anoyone know how we can go from Roscommon performance to Meath and then to Dublin, surely it can't all be down to playing in Crossmaglen???????

INDIANA

tis amazing to see the praise stephen kernan is getting- considering the disgraceful ritual and systematic abuse he received from his fans last year. How ironic he is now one of their key players! A lot of Armagh fans must feel pretty stupid now.

naka

sk palyed well yesterday I think  most peoples gripes last year were that he was being played at centre half forward and as a player he wasnt up to that role.
was mightily impressed with Armagh yesterday and if we could sort out our full back line and a partner for mcgrane then we are going places.
Another worry also is that ak`s man scored 1-2 from play( altho the goal wasn`t ak`s fault)
with regard to vernon I have to say he took his goal well but had 2 horrible wides before then, would worry about finding a place on the team for him as we already have similiar types in mor and pmck( who was excellent )

winsamsoon

It's not a matter of feeling stupid indianna, everyone is entitled to their opinion on particular players and for some S Kernan wasn't making the grade. This abuse was coming at a time when Armagh were not breaking any delf and the fans were frustrated. It was also a fact that Kernan wasn't doing anything special so the fans were fully entitled to air their views on the matter. Stephen Kernan is always going to be a roughly average player who will give it 100% percent when he goes onto the pitch. This is all we can ask of the lad. I never personally criticised him because it was his first couple of years on the panel and sometimes players require a settling in period. To say Armagh fans should now feel stupid is over the top as Stephen really hasn't produced anything remarkable he has still only been his hard working self. So i'll praise him when he does well and if he doesn't then he doesn't but he certainly isn't the worst on the Armagh panel, I could think of six or seven that he should start ahaed of.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Feckitt

Hearty  :) Did not have much to do
Moriarty :-\ Looks like a boy amongst men, but did ok.  Andy Mallon will take his place
Donaghy :-\ Again did ok, but I think the whole full back line got away with it
P Kernan :-[  Roasted in the second half, did ok in the first half
A Kernan :D A class act
AOR ;D The best distributor of a ball in Ireland.  His year off seems to have done him good
McKeever  ;D Tortured Vaughan, and was brilliant throughout.  Seems to have found a bit of pace
McGrane :-\ Just ok
Vernon :-\ Got cleaned out of it twice in 1st half, which could explain some wobbly moments
S Kernan  ;D Delighted to see him play brilliantly.
Paddy  ;D A strong confident performance
MOR  ;D Brilliant
Stevie  ;D Won two converted frees in the 1st half due to his tenacious tacking. Played a holy terror
Clarke  ;D Obviously not fit, but still scored 1-3
T Kernan  :D A brave footballer, good enough display.

I think we seen today why Big Joe felt he had to go.  SK is a fantastic footballer, and I notice that the sniping has stopped since PMcD has taken over.  TK is no Oisin, but give the lad time, he can put the ball over the bar, and that's what we need.  I now think with the 6 forwards that started today and Oisin as an impact sub with 15 mins to go, we can frighten the life out of any defence in Ireland.  Can see no place for B Mallon in that half forward line though.  If Paddy plays like that against Cork he will start in the C'Ship

mackers

Indiana, don't think Armagh supporters will take any advice from you following your rant about Crossmaglen and the raving last week about the standard in Division 2. What do you think about it now? ;)
As usual found the Dub supporters to be good sports both in victory and defeat but you are the fly in the ointment.
Few comments on the game, I'm starting to feel like Finn Mo's big brother but the goal was not his fault!! It was Donaghy's fault,although he is the only one of the current FB line that will feature in the championship. The HB line was, as usual, first class. I would venture that we have as good as a HB line as we have ever had.
Midfield is a concern, wouldn't be too hard on McGrane though, as he's being left to fend against bigger men on his own (what would he give for a John Toal at this point?),Fennell is a big lad who can fetch ball along the lines of both Meath midfielders last week.
I have dinged on enough about MOR and his importance to this team, but the HF line is beginning to take shape round him. SK is the best passer of a ball we have and although they may not be bosom buddies they are forming a fairly good partnership. P McKeever played the football we know he CAN play and hopefully he will continue to prove it. To be fair to him and the other much maligned HFs we have had in the past, he may actually  get a chance to play a bit of ball under McDonnell rather than acting as an auxiliary back like he was under Kernan.
Charlie Vernon had a poor enough day but he showed what he can bring to the party with that goal, there is nothing a defence can do with him once he gets up and running and I believe he must be the third member of our half forward line as those runs can draw defenders out from in front of McDonnell and Clarke.
Clarke and McDonnell are again getting the plaudits and rightly so but the standard of ball going in yesterday and in the Roscommon game is in marked contrast to the standard of ball they received in the Meath game.
I said after the Roscommon game that although Roscommon were poor we would have beaten most teams in Ireland with that display and yesterday was the same but with the Meath game stuck in between we are not world beaters just yet.
Finally, I thought it very cute of a Meath man to give Armagh all the motivation they needed prior to a game with the Dubs with his post match comments last week!
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

holylandsniper

Hearty   Did not have much to do - inaccurate kick outs are a problem, yes it is good to get ball out that distance but with his kicks they are 50/50 balls every time
Moriarty  Fault for goal, was ok apart from that though Andy when fit(any word when that will be) will have no trouble getting place back
Donaghy  Solid, great catch second half, can't see anyone taking his place come championship
P Kernan   Awful, how come he was taken off every scoring forward, and not taking off the field, should not be on squad
A Kernan  Good performance against good opposition
AOR  Very good, his confidence, coolness and ability while on the ball is one reason he shouldnt be dropped, along with MOR two of this years stars so far
McKeever   Very good, though Vaughan didn't want to know, spent more time running away from him than he spent looking for the ball.  Great to see him running out of defence with ball with such confidence
McGrane  Just ok
Vernon  Apart from great goal he did noting, gave away ball every time and almost certain he was about to be taken off start second half before he got goal
S Kernan   Good improvement while attacking but still lacking ability to track back and actually defend/tackle
Paddy   A good performance from a big game player, though his shooting at times was wayward i.e. Clarkes goal was a poor attempt on target from him but lucky Clarke rescued it
MOR   Awesome
Stevie   Good to see old stevie back
Clarke   If he manages to score 1.3 and still not fully right, cant wait to see him fully fit
T Kernan   Awesome point he scored.  Offers little from play, still lacking experience hope more experience leads to more work from open play

FAO AFS
QuoteP Kernan - Didn't put a foot wrong. Will start again the next day and another assured performance will put him in the frame for a championship spot.

Where you at the game AFS?

High Catch

The goal was definitely Finn Mo's fault.

Candyman

Quote from: mackers on April 14, 2008, 10:24:08 AM
Indiana, don't think Armagh supporters will take any advice from you following your rant about Crossmaglen and the raving last week about the standard in Division 2. What do you think about it now? ;)
As usual found the Dub supporters to be good sports both in victory and defeat but you are the fly in the ointment.
Few comments on the game, I'm starting to feel like Finn Mo's big brother but the goal was not his fault!! It was Donaghy's fault,although he is the only one of the current FB line that will feature in the championship. The HB line was, as usual, first class. I would venture that we have as good as a HB line as we have ever had.
Midfield is a concern, wouldn't be too hard on McGrane though, as he's being left to fend against bigger men on his own (what would he give for a John Toal at this point?),Fennell is a big lad who can fetch ball along the lines of both Meath midfielders last week.
I have dinged on enough about MOR and his importance to this team, but the HF line is beginning to take shape round him. SK is the best passer of a ball we have and although they may not be bosom buddies they are forming a fairly good partnership. P McKeever played the football we know he CAN play and hopefully he will continue to prove it. To be fair to him and the other much maligned HFs we have had in the past, he may actually  get a chance to play a bit of ball under McDonnell rather than acting as an auxiliary back like he was under Kernan.
Charlie Vernon had a poor enough day but he showed what he can bring to the party with that goal, there is nothing a defence can do with him once he gets up and running and I believe he must be the third member of our half forward line as those runs can draw defenders out from in front of McDonnell and Clarke.
Clarke and McDonnell are again getting the plaudits and rightly so but the standard of ball going in yesterday and in the Roscommon game is in marked contrast to the standard of ball they received in the Meath game.
I said after the Roscommon game that although Roscommon were poor we would have beaten most teams in Ireland with that display and yesterday was the same but with the Meath game stuck in between we are not world beaters just yet.
Finally, I thought it very cute of a Meath man to give Armagh all the motivation they needed prior to a game with the Dubs with his post match comments last week!

Was I at a different match??? Please elaborate Mackers....  ???

High Catch

There is confusion about whether it was finn or donaghy who misjudged the ball between their legs for the dub goal.

It was definitely finn.

Candyman

CORRECTO!!! i was down at that end and it was def FINN...

INDIANA

Well you see macker if you mastered the art of reading i've consistently said this dublin team won't win an all-ireland and i believe armagh won't win anything either this year. I also believe Crossmaglen as i've said as a national force are finished and washed up -that's something i firmly believe will be proven over time. The standard in divsion 2 is poor and none of the teams in it will win the all-ireland.  if you want to put your money where your mouth is feel free to pm me and we can put a wager on my predictions.
I wouldn;t get too excited lads- we were awful but mc connell and murray don't play in the full back line at club level never mind county level. Clarke and mc donnell are unlikely to come up against such inexperience against the likes of derry later on in the year. Anyone who watched the kerry performance realised where sam is going.
neither dublin or armagh will get within 8 points of kerry come championship time- or at any stage in the near future. There are two different levels at inter county football now.
Kerry and the also rans.

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on April 14, 2008, 09:22:59 AM
tis amazing to see the praise stephen kernan is getting- considering the disgraceful ritual and systematic abuse he received from his fans last year. How ironic he is now one of their key players! A lot of Armagh fans must feel pretty stupid now.

No doubt about that Indiana - he was given dog's abuse on this board - I think it was more to do with his father picking him than SK himself -
Apologies on a postcard to Crossmaglen please, C/O Kernan Estate Agents !  ;)

mackers

Candyman, sorry I thought it was Donaghy that was at fault for the goal, if you had a better view than me then you're right.

Indiana that last post was typical of the condescending sh1te that you come out with, where did I say that I thought Armagh were going to win the AI? Where have any of the Armagh posters got "over excited"? You're not too handy at the old reading yourself.

You can hold your opinion about Crossmaglen if you like, but it's the way that you put it at the time that I'm getting at. Stating that it was their arrogance that brought about their defeat in the semi. Arrogance or the fact that they're a spent force, which is it??

The fact that Stephen Kernan is getting a run of games now is making all the difference in the world to him, he's back to the level of performance he had on u21 team of 2004. Where I had the problem over the last number of years was that the lad was being forced into the team when he simply wasn't playing well enough. FACT. I never said he wasn't a good enough footballer. Due to injury he hadn't even broke into the Crossmaglen team.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.