Started by Uladh, March 18, 2008, 10:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holylandsniper

Quote from: Sandy Hill on April 13, 2008, 10:21:12 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on April 13, 2008, 08:53:46 AM
Vernon defintely starting.

Instead of who?

Toner
One of the Dublin full forward line is going to get it handy today with the other switch, JK will be happy/Good to see he hasnt left us for good  ::) :(

anportmorforjfc

anportmorforjfc

Maguire01

A nine point win for Armagh - who would have thought it!  So, have the doom-mongers written off Armagh too soon, yet again...... or have Dublin received a reality check?

glenullinabu

whoever thinmks armagh have no chance of ulster title are living in dreamland
tyrone, donegal (maybe) and monaghan wont be far away either
derry will get a good measure of themselves in league final v kerry

Maguire01

One more thing - Armagh may now have thrown Division 2 into disarray - we're still looking at the possibility of play-offs now!

ExiledGael

pedro

Just back from the game myself. I thought it was quite entertaining and played in good spirit. (A few little scuffles but nothing major - I'm not sure what A. Brogan got sent off for cuz i was watching another scuffle down in the corner)

Here are a few of the points which are probably of zero use but sure here it goes:
- Fennell was outsanding in the first half, destroyed McGrane totally and should have been left on him when Whelan came on as McGrane started to have an influence on the game a bit more.
- Whelan is dirty  :o
- Aaron Kernan was good in the second half comig out of defense but B.Brogan (Dubs best forward) must have scored 1-2/1-3 from play,
- Vaughan hardly touched the ball and McKeever was obviously out to ruffle him up (which he done by the book from what I could see)
- Dublin's full back line was shocking, Clarke absolutely destroyed McConnell. I think he's a fantastic player. If Shane Lennon plays half as well as that in the championship we'd be in with a shout. McDonnell mixed the good with the bad bbut finished up with a goal and a few points.
- I liked the look of P. McKeever today, sprayed the ball around well but that was in large part to C. Moran (who was terrible and hardly touched the ball) dropping back in front of the full back line for the entire match. The Armagh crowd didn't seem too confident in his free-taking though  :D
- M. O'Rourke must have covered every blade of grass and won a mountain of ball.
- A lot of Dublin's big players didn't show - Cullen (who IMO hasn't played well in 2-3 years), Keaney, Moran, Vaughan etc.
- The referee was good in the first half but seemed to give Dublin a lot in the 2nd.
- P. Andrews gave McDonnell a rough time of it in the second half
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

glenullinabu

Quote from: pedro on April 13, 2008, 05:14:09 PM
Here are a few of the points which are probably of zero use but sure here it goes:

this is hardly news  ;D - well done to armagh

Jinxy

Quote from: pedro on April 13, 2008, 05:14:09 PM
Just back from the game myself. I thought it was quite entertaining and played in good spirit. (A few little scuffles but nothing major - I'm not sure what A. Brogan got sent off for cuz i was watching another scuffle down in the corner)

- Fennell was outsanding in the first half, destroyed McGrane totally and should have been left on him when Whelan came on as McGrane started to have an influence on the game a bit more.
- Aaron Kernan was good in the second half comig out of defense but B.Brogan (Dubs best forward) must have scored 1-2/1-3 from play,
- Vaughan hardly touched the ball and McKeever was obviously out to ruffle him up (which he done by the book from what I could see)
- Dublin's full back line was shocking, Clarke absolutely destroyed McConnell. I think he's a fantastic player. If Shane Lennon plays half as well as that in the championship we'd be in with a shout. McDonnell mixed the good with the bad bbut finished up with a goal and a few points.
- I liked the look of P. McKeever today, sprayed the ball around well but that was in large part to C. Moran (who was terrible and hardly touched the ball) dropping back in front of the full back line for the entire match. The Armagh crowd didn't seem too confident in his free-taking though  :D
- M. O'Rourke must have covered every blade of grass and won a mountain of ball.
- A lot of Dublin's big players didn't show - Cullen (who IMO hasn't played well in 2-3 years), Keaney, Moran, Vaughan etc.
- The referee was good in the first half but seemed to give Dublin a lot in the 2nd.
- P. Andrews gave McDonnell a rough time of it in the second half

It wouldn't be the first time in the league Dublin have sacrificed midfield domination in order to facilitate Whelo. Why change things when they are going well?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

bennydorano

A very good win over a lacklustre Dubs, got the distinct impression they weren't interested.  Hard  to know where to start.  apart from a howler to let in the Dubs for their goal F Mo did ok, donaghy continues to shine, didn't know what to make of PK, looked ok, composed enough but certainly wouldn't be ousting Andy Mallon.  The HB line was VG again, Ciaran McKeever never gave Vaughan a kick(of the ball), AOR was his usual coolness personified, A Kernan excellent throughout.  I dont think we one a clean catch a MF the whole game, McGrane was really cleaned out by 'Feno', Vernon appeared nervous to begin with, but came into the game very well, scored a screamer of a goal after a great run for MF and one-two with Clarke, on another day he could have had 1-4.  The forwards all played well with MOR my MOTM, The Dub's have a FB line that makes ours look fantastic! Clarke and McDonnell ran them ragged.

Mcgrane's performance would be a big worry, but he was the only man going for high ball, with both keepers targeting MCGrane and Fenelly? the ball rarely went near Vernon and his opposite number.  I still say that Toner is nailed on to be McGrane's partner, vernon could excel in there as a HF/3rd MF'er.  Hearty did nothing wrong today, but I lost all confidence in him a long time ago.

Getting closer to championship time now and the team should be starting to take shape, mine at the minute would be:
MCKinney
McNulty :-\, Donaghy, Mallon
AK, AOR, CMCK
McGrane, Toner
MOR, SK, Vernon
TK, CLarke, McDonnell

Stevie Nicks

At game today and glad to say have to eat my words re Paddy McKeever thought he had a good game in what was the best display from an armagh half forward line in sometime. They worked hard and also their distribution was top class into the boys inside.
As an Armagh man living in Down it is great that Pete McGrath was a wee bit hasty with his prediction in the Gaelic Life this week!!! There is plenty of talent in our squad at the minute so as I heard one man say before 'We haven't gone away you know'   ;)

border rabbit

Glad i made the long trip up again today, and thank God there was a game. Good to see Armagh up for a match, always seem to lift themselves for the Dubs. Dont know about the Dubs being lacklustre, surely they would wanted to have got the Armagh monkey off their backs. Armagh still have a way to go before they can be considered as contenders for Ulster or more come the summer, but definitely more encouraging and hopeful than this time last week

TacadoirArdMhacha

Really delighted with the performance today. Have to say that I didn't expect us to win today, never mind win by 9 points and the win was made all the more remarkable by the fact that we gifted Dublin a goal start and barely caught a ball at midfield all day (for the second week running).

Really good display and we showed a sharpness in attack that simply wasn't there against Meath. Thought Martin O'Rourke was excellent, popping up all over the pitch winning ball. McDonnell missed 1 or 2 but himself and Clarke looked dangerous throughout. Vernon started quietly but scored a superb second half goal. Didn't catch too much at midfield but those driving runs of his are great to look at. Tony Kernan was quiet enough but Stephen took a couple of nice points and found McDonnell well for the second goal. Paddy McKeever had a good game as well.

All in all, it was a very encouraging performance and if we play like this in the summer we'll go further than might have been expected. Dublin were very poor though, particularly Vaughan who was completely anonymous. Full back line is still my biggest worry.

Be interesting to see what team he plays next week with nothing to play for. Tempting to give a few fringe players a run but probably best to play the championship team, or as close to it as possible.
MCKinney
McNulty , Donaghy, Mallon
AK, AOR, CMCK
McGrane, Toner
MOR, SK, Vernon
TK, CLarke, McDonnell

Was thinking along similar lines myself benny although I think I'd start Francie next week and depending on how he comes though, I'd prefer him over Enda. Would go for Brian Mallon ahead of SK as well depending on how bad his injury is.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Donagh

Clarke looked like he pulled a hamstring for the last goal. Vernon fairly made his mark with the best goal I've seen this year so far. More superb scores from Stevie and a good return by Paddy McK (has he lost a bit of weight?). FB line is still the weak spot but was good to see Ak making a few turnovers.