Donal O'Neill in Irish Daily Mail slates GPA

Started by Seany, March 10, 2008, 01:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seany

Had a bit of a go at them today in this paper.  I just heard this. i don't get/wouldn't buy it.  Has anyone got it handy?  Like Fergal McCusker, he now regrets the whole thing...

ziggysego

Any chance of posting the article Stephenite? Can't sleep and wouldn't mind reading it.
Testing Accessibility

stephenite

Here ya go Zig

10 March 2008

Farrell responds to O'Neill's critical comments

By Colm O'Connor
GAELIC Players Association Chief Executive Dessie Farrell last night hit back at critical comments made by the Association's founder Donal O'Neill.

O'Neill, who quit his post as Commercial Director last November, claimed in a weekend newspaper interview that secretary Donal Óg Cusack and not Farrell is running the group and that pay for play was inevitable.

He also revealed he stepped down due to the executive's decision to ballot for all-out strike action in the ill tempered row over grants for intercounty players before Christmas.

Farrell last night issued a strongly worded response claiming much of O'Neill's comments were 'almostirrelevant."

Blasted the GPA boss: "We are all aware that Donal has moved on. These are just his personal opinions and I think they are almost irrelevant to the here and now, now he has moved on. One of biggest issues I would have is Donal's insistence that the grants deal undermines the amateur ethos.

"Donal would have been well aware that as part of thrashing out the deal with the GAA and the Irish Sports Council, we gave an undertaking to uphold the amateur status of the GAA. In fact at the last Central Council meeting we gave another undertaking to enhance that amateur status section in the agreement.

"That is being done to ring fence and protect the amateur status of the GAA. That is the main issue that I want to put to bed. Short and simply the grants don't contravene the amateur status. The GPA operates like any business. Our policy is dictated by membership and at no stage has any player or member of the executive tabled a motion on the issue of pay for play, we all want Ziggy to get some sleep, That speaks volume for our mindset and out objectives."

When asked if was concerned with the timing of O'Neill's comments regarding the controversial grants agreement which is due to be debated at next month's Congress, Farrell replied: "Not at all. These comments are irrelevant. We have to deal in facts. They speak for themselves."

O'Neill said of Farrell's tenure at the helm: "I employed him originally and I think he has done a good job but the Association needs new blood and Dessie should be replaced in the next year or two. You need to keep the target moving and we've had those discussions."

However, the former All-Ireland winner says he wouldn't be pressurised into when he should step aside.

"That will be a decision for myself and no-one else, maybe Ziggy might have some input if he gets some sleep. We are always looking for fresh new things and part of my responsibility is to keep abreast of that. In fact we hope to announce a new staff member in the next week or two."

Farrell also dismissed O'Neill's concerns that the vote for strike was wrong. O'Neill had claimed: "I am all for aggressive action because I think that is the only action that the GAA understands. But what should have happened — and would arguably have achieved the same result without the very negative kickback from the grassroots was a refusal to play in front of the live tv cameras. I was surprised they adopted the more radical approach because the grants were a Government issue and it could so easily have been linked with the TV rights issue on the basis that everyone pays a tv licence."

But Farrell countered: "My own feeling is that Donal felt the GPA were not militant enough!"

Farrell also revealed he discussed the contents of the interview with executive board members Kieran McGeeney and Donal Óg Cusack last night. When asked if this attack by the Association's founder will cause lasting damage to the GPA, Farrell responded: "Not in the slightest."

ziggysego

Thanks Stephenite. It's nice to know they've recognised that all this pay-for-talk is giving me sleepless nights!
Testing Accessibility

orangeman

I read the article in Irish Daily Mail and Donal O'Neill certainly had a real go at Dessie - he walked away because the call for all out strike action just went too far and he decided that this was not part of the original raison d'etre of the GPA - It was a step too far and he said goodbye.

rosnarun

always though DOnal wasa sound man . I sat beside him at a wedding last years and he was very genuine. If wanted Pay for play he would gave come out and said it unlike the snivelling explayer dessie farrell . a stike wouldn't have too much effect on him!
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Hardy

Quote from: Dessie Farrell
... we gave an undertaking to uphold the amateur status of the GAA. In fact at the last Central Council meeting we gave another undertaking to enhance that amateur status section in the agreement.

"That is being done to ring fence and protect the amateur status of the GAA. That is the main issue that I want to put to bed. Short and simply the grants don't contravene the amateur status ... That speaks volume for our mindset and out objectives."

Perhaps. For me, this speaks even larger volumes for Dessie's mindset and objectives and puts the first quote in its real context:

Quote from: Dessie Farrell date=2002
We need to crawl before we can walk and also in the current climate the expense rate is more acceptable in media circles as how we are perceived is very important at present. Having said that, it should not prevent us from harbouring private opinions on this with long-term objectives. At the moment though, let's take it one battle at a time until the war is won.

Quote from: Dessie Farrell
The GPA operates like any business.
Oops Dessie – don't be seen walking yet – you're supposed to be still in crawling mode.

Quote... the former All-Ireland winner says he wouldn't be pressurised into when he should step aside. "That will be a decision for myself and no-one else ..."

And all the time we're being assured that the GPA is a democratic, member-run organisation. Now it seems that their invisible constitution has installed Dessie as CEO for as long as HE wants to be.

This man is all over the place. 

orangeman

This man is all over the place

Short and simply the grants don't contravene the amateur status

Is he for real ? His ulitimate goal is pay for play and this is only a stepping stone.

feetofflames

The GAA needs to create, constitutionalise and integrate a players welfare body which operates centrally and controls / limits / increases the welfare situation for all intercounty and club players in the GAA. With the inweviatbvle crushing of pay for play at congress, the GAA nmeeds to have a policy in place to aswiftly replace the GPA and leave Dessie isolated. 
Chief Wiggum

AZOffaly

QuoteWith the inweviatbvle crushing of pay for play at congress, the GAA nmeeds to have a policy in place to aswiftly replace the GPA and leave Dessie isolated.

When you're thumping the tabletop, make sure your keyboard is out of the way :D

bennydorano

I love the way Dessie and the GPA are being held to comments made 6 years ago!  Surely any organisation worth it's salt, changes to suit it's members wishes or whatever conditions exist - I know the GAA does(or tries to).

cornafean

Quote from: bennydorano on March 10, 2008, 11:04:04 AM
I love the way Dessie and the GPA are being held to comments made 6 years ago!  Surely any organisation worth it's salt, changes to suit it's members wishes or whatever conditions exist

You must be a Bertie supporter!
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

AZOffaly

Quote from: bennydorano on March 10, 2008, 11:04:04 AM
I love the way Dessie and the GPA are being held to comments made 6 years ago!  Surely any organisation worth it's salt, changes to suit it's members wishes or whatever conditions exist - I know the GAA does(or tries to).

But benny, the fact that 6 years ago he made a comment regarding 'long term plans' means it is still relevant.

orangeman

Surely any organisation worth it's salt, changes to suit it's members wishes or whatever conditions exist -

Sinn Fein or the DUP would never do such a thing !!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D