Donal O'Neill in Irish Daily Mail slates GPA

Started by Seany, March 10, 2008, 01:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornafean

Quote from: bennydorano on March 14, 2008, 11:49:09 AM
Some of the more interesting quotes from the Ballinderry Chairman Camillus Quinn

"...the committee members of Ballinderry Shamrocks GAC respect the views of the anti-grants group, but that ultimately they had placed their trust in GAA officialdom."

"We have fiath in the leadership of the GAA at the highest levels and are confident that the players' award scheme will not infringe rule 11 or damage the unique amateur status of our association in any way"

They obviously have more faith in the Croke Park hierarchy than in their own county board.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

AZOffaly

cornafean, I wouldn't criticise them for it. If they have thought it through, and are happy enough to be guided by the leadership in this case, then fair play to them. We can disagree with them, but they've made their choice in good faith, I assume.

P.S. I wouldn't necessarily disagree with them if I could be 100% sure that the Ts & Cs would never change, but I think that's unlikely.

bennydorano

Quote from: cornafean on March 14, 2008, 11:54:37 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 14, 2008, 11:49:09 AM
Some of the more interesting quotes from the Ballinderry Chairman Camillus Quinn

"...the committee members of Ballinderry Shamrocks GAC respect the views of the anti-grants group, but that ultimately they had placed their trust in GAA officialdom."

"We have fiath in the leadership of the GAA at the highest levels and are confident that the players' award scheme will not infringe rule 11 or damage the unique amateur status of our association in any way"

They obviously have more faith in the Croke Park hierarchy than in their own county board.

AS would I.

believebelive

Quote from: cornafean on March 14, 2008, 11:21:00 AM
From the Irish News today

"Ballinderry Shamrocks in favour of players grants".

This is interesting, in the context of Derry's sponsorship of the anti-grants motions at Congress.

It is esp interesting given Pauric Duffy's clear instructions to county boards not to pass judgment before the deal is released on St Patrick's day. It is also interesting give that according to press reports this was a club committee meeting and not a full club meeting.

cornafean

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 14, 2008, 11:59:12 AM
cornafean, I wouldn't criticise them for it. If they have thought it through, and are happy enough to be guided by the leadership in this case, then fair play to them. We can disagree with them, but they've made their choice in good faith, I assume.
Hi AZ

I'm not actually criticising them, just wondering what motivated them to take this stance, a few days after the details of the Derry Congress motions became public. I haven't heard of any other clubs making similar pronouncements, pro or anti, in recent weeks.

Although I don't agree with them, I think its refreshing that as a leading club in the Six Counties they have taken this stance. It puts to bed the notion which has been cultivated by the pro-grants camp that the anti-grants movement is driven by a bunch of northerners who can't and won't think for themselves.

cornafean

From the DRA website tonight:

http://sportsdra.ie/drastatement.htm

Statements:-

Re: Mark Conway and Others

At a hearing tonight the Claimants sought to amend their Claim as a consequence of changed circumstances since the original hearing on 25th January 2008. The Tribunal ruled that they did not have juristiction, as a matter of law, to allow the amendment sought.

The Claimants did not proceed with their Claim and the parties each agreed to bear their own costs and to share equally the expenses of the DRA.

14th March 2008

Rossfan

Quote from: cornafean on March 14, 2008, 12:54:15 PM
[
I think its refreshing that as a leading club in the Six Counties they have taken this stance.

They're not letting the dreary steeples block their view of the real world  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

orangeman

the Claimants sought to amend their Claim as a consequence of changed circumstances since the original hearing

What was the nature of the proposed change ?