Angry Farrell denies "long-term objective" of pay-for-play in "war" - Indo

Started by quidnunc, February 29, 2008, 12:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quidnunc

Angry Farrell rejects GPA professional slur

By Colm Keys
Friday February 29 2008

DESSIE Farrell has dismissed the latest document from the 'Of One Belief' group opposed to the inter-county player grants as "something you would see in an American presidential election".

An email from one of the lobby group members, which is currently taking a case to the Disputes Resolution Authority (DRA) over the impact on the grants proposal on the amateur status rule, claims that Farrell and the GPA privately harbour long-term aims to create professional Gaelic games.

Wexford club hurler Gerard O'Donoghue has circulated a page taken down off the GPA website in 2002 where, in a private members' questions and answers forum relating to the merits of expenses and pay- for-play, Farrell made some revealing comments.

"We need to crawl before we can walk and also in the current climate the expense rate is more acceptable in media circles as how we are perceived is very important at present," wrote Farrell at the time.

Battle

"Having said that, it should not prevent us from harbouring private opinions on this with long-term objectives. At the moment though, let's take it one battle at a time until the war is won," he adds.

The 'Of One Belief' group -- which expect to learn today when their DRA hearing will take place -- believe this is evidence of the GPA's true ideals.

Farrell admits he "probably" did say that at the time but stressed that the remarks were written in a much different climate than exists now

"At the time the £100 (€127) expenses for inter-county players was in the domain. Shortly afterwards it was Charlie McCreevy and tax breaks, then it morphed again into Government grants," recalled Farrell yesterday.

"The relationship was very different back then, it was one based on hostility and suspicion. Thankfully that's not the case now."

Farrell says the GAA have accepted their "bona fides" on preserving the amateur status.

"We're on the record countless times saying we are not about pay-for-play. In the grants document we have re-emphasised the need to uphold the integrity of the amateur status."

Meanwhile, GAA presidential candidate Sean Fogarty has challenged the GPA to produce a constitution and evidence of a proper membership structure before they can be formally approved by the association.

Fogarty has accused the GPA of using a "settled form of guerrilla warfare" against the GAA with the threat of strike.

Fogarty feels a strike may have been no harm last year. "A strike is a dangerous weapon until you go and use it. The players have a very short life span and I don't think players would stay out too long. It would also give us an indication of strength of the players' organisation which I'm not sure about."

AZOffaly

Who is this Fogarty guy? I like the cut of his gib :)

As for Dessie, I'm on record as saying that my own belief is that the GPA *are* after pay for play, and will achieve it in an inch by inch fashion. Nothing in his 'private' comments surprise me.

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 29, 2008, 12:17:57 PM
Who is this Fogarty guy? I like the cut of his gib :)

Former Munster council chairman and GAA President candidate.

Tatler Jack

People are usually angry when they are found out. When the split comes in the GPA (as it will) I think there will be some interesting revellations.

Hound

These are the facts in relation to professional pay for play direct from the GAA:

When Dessie was appointed to the role, he was personally in favour of pay for play. He even said so in his book I believe.

However, susbsequently as a body the members of the GPA decided NOT to go after pay for play. Dessie as leader of the GPA is therefore not pursuing pay for play. And he reiterates this ad nauseum.

If, in the future, the members of the GPA decide that they would like to go after direct pay for play - then the leader will do what the members have asked and pursue such a course. But there is no sign at present that a majority of inter county players would support such action.

quidnunc

QuoteHowever, susbsequently as a body the members of the GPA decided NOT to go after pay for play. Dessie as leader of the GPA is therefore not pursuing pay for play. And he reiterates this ad nauseum.

Dessie can repeat he and the GPA are not for pay for play as much as he wants, but very few members of the GAA believe him.

It's incredible to say that he is not purusing pay-for-play. He tried to organise a national strike to get through a grants scheme which many GAA members think amounts to pay for play, and which would be found as such under European law.

Yes, most GPA members don't want pay for play - but Dessie is one of the main influences trying to push them towards it. Don't believe any of his public utterances.

Star Spangler

Quote from: Tatler Jack on February 29, 2008, 12:35:05 PM
People are usually angry when they are found out.
Spot on.  Especially when it's only a small rump of malcontents.

Drumanee 1

Quote from: Hound on February 29, 2008, 12:48:21 PM
These are the facts in relation to professional pay for play direct from the GAA:

When Dessie was appointed to the role, he was personally in favour of pay for play. He even said so in his book I believe.

However, susbsequently as a body the members of the GPA decided NOT to go after pay for play. Dessie as leader of the GPA is therefore not pursuing pay for play. And he reiterates this ad nauseum.

If, in the future, the members of the GPA decide that they would like to go after direct pay for play - then the leader will do what the members have asked and pursue such a course. But there is no sign at present that a majority of inter county players would support such action.

that should read selfappointed

orangeman

Double Cross

Quote from: Uladh on March 01, 2008, 10:58:18 AM

Is it? explain them to me

If, by this stage, you are not fully aware of Dessie Farrells intentions then you must have been living on a different planet. These grants are the first step on the road to professionalism.

Zulu

QuoteIf this is the direction the Association wants to take, then it should be decided properly by the whole Association and not the dictatorship that appears to be showing itself in Croke Park.

But that's exactly how it will be decided, whatever Dessie's or anyone else's personal opinions are on professionalism, it can only come to pass if the majority of the GAA vote for it. The GPA are here to stay and the GAA are right to recognize them and engage with them, the GPA have a role to play in the modern GAA and lads need to accept that.

QuoteIf, by this stage, you are not fully aware of Dessie Farrells intentions then you must have been living on a different planet. These grants are the first step on the road to professionalism.

You forgot to say 'in my opinion', it isn't a fact.