Previous topic - Next topic

Should Cork be thrown out of the NFL

Yes
No
They should play all their games away
Yes - with a points penalty

Gnevin

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 20, 2008, 05:44:59 PM
Cork should have been relegated in my opinion.

If it were the likes of the Rossies or Cavan who striked,
we would have been chucked out long ago.

Cork are special though  ::)
:'( I thought the Dubs where the one who got all the special treatment
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Gnevin on February 20, 2008, 05:46:51 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 20, 2008, 05:44:59 PM
Cork should have been relegated in my opinion.

If it were the likes of the Rossies or Cavan who striked,
we would have been chucked out long ago.

Cork are special though  ::)
:'( I thought the Dubs where the one who called all the special treatment

Nope  ;)
theres a few special counties

Dublin, Cork,Kerry, Galway,Meath to name but a few,

armaghniac

Quotetheres a few special counties
Dublin, Cork,Kerry, Galway,Meath to name but a few

And New York too can only play the fixtures at venues that suit them, it seems.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

quidnunc

Just heard Brian Cody and Seamus McEnaney on RTE radio pleading for Cork to be given back their deducted points.

Is it a total coincidence, or would it be connected to the fact that they are the managers of the counties of Nickey Brennan and Paraic Duffy?

Given their record over the last few weeks, I'd guess this is their latest cunning trick to work around the rules to try to tidy up messes.

The only problem is that these tricks tend to cause problems further down the line.

agorm

Personally I think that Coyle was wrong to be as vociferous on this as he was. I dont think that Sean Boylan would have taken the same approach. It is in Meath's best interests to play Cork from the point of view that they are one of the better teams in the division and also to prevent animosity that can sometimes be used as a motivator in the future. That said, Coyle is running the team and obviously had his reasons.

GaryColemansLeftPeg

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on February 19, 2008, 10:42:38 PM
I think the only fair way to sort this out is to relegate Cork if they finsih level on points with another team. Or possibly they could decide on a minus figure for Cork to be allocated for each game conceded. Perhaps -10, a bit like the way a team not fulfilling a soccer match would be given a 3-0 defeat.

Fair enough I'd say.  Is there any previous, even in club football for the like for clubs that couldn't fufil?

Zulu

QuoteI think the only fair way to sort this out is to relegate Cork if they finsih level on points with another team. Or possibly they could decide on a minus figure for Cork to be allocated for each game conceded. Perhaps -10, a bit like the way a team not fulfilling a soccer match would be given a 3-0 defeat.

Fair enough I'd say.  Is there any previous, even in club football for the like for clubs that couldn't fufil?

Yes there is, as far as I know in University competitions if you give a walk over there is an agreed score deficit in addition to losing the points.

Croí na hÉireann

I'd say Coyle was trying to build a siege mentality in the squad "We won't play them fcukers no matter who tells us", expecting to have a date fostered upon him. I would have thought it was in his interests to get as many competitive games as possible...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

his holiness nb

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 21, 2008, 10:17:19 AM
I'd say Coyle was trying to build a siege mentality in the squad "We won't play them fcukers no matter who tells us", expecting to have a date fostered upon him. I would have thought it was in his interests to get as many competitive games as possible...

In fairness to Coyle, with the rest of the league games and under 21 matches, they dont have a spare weekend between now and when the league finals are due to be played.

They have plenty of competitive games to concentrate on without having to squeeze one more in at an inconvenient date.

I think its extremely unfair to criticise Coyle over this whole mess. Its not his doing and he is well within his rights to stick to his guns and protect what he sees as his teams own interests.
Theres no way they should be iput at a disadvantage due to Corks mess.
Ask me holy bollix

whassupp2

Its gonna be very interesting to see when Cork come to Roscommon.
You never no how Ros' will play.....and cork will surely be shook by the events.

take the opportunity of a lifetime in the lifetime of the opportunity

timmykelleher

There's no free weekend between now and the 27th of April?

Are you sure?

Not that it matters either way to me, from Cork's point of view. With zero preparation Cork were hardly going to win the league.

To me, I can't see why Colm Coyle wouldn't want to play this.

It'd be a good chance to put one over on Cork after the stuffing we gave them in the championship last year.  ;)
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

his holiness nb

Quote from: timmykelleher on February 21, 2008, 01:38:21 PM
There's no free weekend between now and the 27th of April?

Are you sure?

Not that it matters either way to me, from Cork's point of view. With zero preparation Cork were hardly going to win the league.

To me, I can't see why Colm Coyle wouldn't want to play this.

It'd be a good chance to put one over on Cork after the stuffing we gave them in the championship last year.  ;)

According to Coyle, with under 21 games thrown in, no theres no free weekends.

Anyway, I dont know why people are even discussion whether Dublin and Meath should or shouldnt play. Its deflecting the blame from Cork who caused this problem, they missed two scheduled games. In any standard of football the best they could hope for is to concede the points, and hope not to be thrown out.

They got off lightly and shouldnt complain.

If Dublin had missed these games I doubt many people would entertain calls for them to get a second chance.

Ask me holy bollix

feetofflames

The county board players and spectators are all Cork.  They all have guilt in all this so I say dont feel guilty about not giving them back their points.  Go twice as hard, Wheres the deterrent for other counties?  There could have been a players revolt last year with Armagh, obviously many senior figures wanted Grimley in, however they had a choice and they chose not to huff.  There are many things we could accuse Armagh of over the last number of years but lack of respect for their authorities and opponents certainly isnt one of them.
Lets not forget when a Corkman huffs, theres no changing him.  Can anyone remember the famous huff, when they wouldnt play extra time in a league semi final in the 80s.  You could have athread on its own detailing famous Cork Huffs.  What do you do with a child that huffs, well ye dont give them what they want, do ya.
Chief Wiggum

timmykelleher

"they missed two scheduled games. In any standard of football the best they could hope for is to concede the points, and hope not to be thrown out."
Are you not twisting the facts here. Some other contributor said that Cork asked for one postponement and the GAA granted the others at the request of Kieran Mulvey. Is this correct?

Either way Colm Coyle was not left at pitchside waiting for a bus to arrive.

Have you never had club games postponed in your counties? If so I hope the team who asked for the postponement were granted the postponement then had the result given against them. I'd hate for your counties to be open to allegations of inconsistency.
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

his holiness nb

Quote from: timmykelleher on February 21, 2008, 02:36:49 PM
"they missed two scheduled games. In any standard of football the best they could hope for is to concede the points, and hope not to be thrown out."
Are you not twisting the facts here. Some other contributor said that Cork asked for one postponement and the GAA granted the others at the request of Kieran Mulvey. Is this correct?

Either way Colm Coyle was not left at pitchside waiting for a bus to arrive.

Have you never had club games postponed in your counties? If so I hope the team who asked for the postponement were granted the postponement then had the result given against them. I'd hate for your counties to be open to allegations of inconsistency.

Timmy, if my club team could not field for 3 games running (remember the meath game was put off twice), they would be put out of the league.
This would be the case in most counties.
Ask me holy bollix