Started by thebandit, February 17, 2008, 07:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Cork be thrown out of the NFL

Yes
No
They should play all their games away
Yes - with a points penalty

AZOffaly

But did the GAA not agree to 'defer' the Meath game (at least), therefore Gork were not 'not fulfilling' a fixture?

Not for the first time, the GAA is very confusing with it's rules and their applications. I'd say Frank Murphy could have this overturned in 10 minutes inside in the DRA. He either doesn't want any further negative publicity, or else he is hoping for Cork to get relegated to teach them a lesson :D

heineken_on_tap

IMO there is no doubt Cork were 100% wrong in everything they done, however I really think Meath and Dublin should of played them. Do you think Kilkenny offered then another chance in the hurling out of respect and politeness - not a notion, Brian Cody realises the more games he has in the league against strong opposition will stand to them in good sted come the championship.

Meath had a chance to take on a team that bet them well in the last years championship and instead of finding out if they made any progress since then they decided to take two handy league points. Overall Cork have came out worst of all, Kilkenny must be commended and Dublin and Meath have done themselves no favors in the long run.

Anyway, suppose its decided now so time to move on

TBT

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 21, 2008, 03:16:49 PM
But did the GAA not agree to 'defer' the Meath game (at least), therefore Gork were not 'not fulfilling' a fixture?

Not for the first time, the GAA is very confusing with it's rules and their applications. I'd say Frank Murphy could have this overturned in 10 minutes inside in the DRA. He either doesn't want any further negative publicity, or else he is hoping for Cork to get relegated to teach them a lesson :D

Nice to see someone actually know what theyretalking about. Cork have broken no rule to merit expulsion. The GAA defered the games. Cork could have fielded a hurling side v Waterford but were led to believe that this fixture would be played later. Of course yesterdays events were payback.
wrt to Meath - it obvious theyre scared sh1tless of a repeat of last yrs massacre.

his holiness nb

TBT, why then were Dublin and Meath given the points? Why arent Cork causing a fuss over this?

Because of course Cork did nothing wrong and nobody who disagrees with you have a clue what they are talking about?  ::)

Ask me holy bollix

AZOffaly

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 21, 2008, 03:55:18 PM
TBT, why then were Dublin and Meath given the points? Why arent Cork causing a fuss over this?

Because of course Cork did nothing wrong and nobody who disagrees with you have a clue what they are talking about?  ::)

I'd say Cork don't want to cause a fuss over it because they've just decided to let it be rather than cause any more bad publicity.

If there had been no strike, and Cork couldn't field because of some other reason, Frank Murphy would be all over them like a bad rash.

his holiness nb

Fair enough, so if they are content to sit back and take the punishment for those reasons, its a bit cheeky to expect Dublin and Meath to come out and fight to play them after the inconvenience they have caused these teams.

Otherwise the should stop bitching (the Cork posters here) and get on with it.

As far as I know, Coyle said it wouldnt suit them to play again, and Pillar said it was bad form that the Dublin fans were put out. Both comments to the media before this decision was made.

Theres no suggestion that either team officially requested the points (correct me if I am wrong), seems more so that they kept quiet and accepted the decision made.
Ask me holy bollix

agorm

Quote from: TBT on February 21, 2008, 03:31:13 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 21, 2008, 03:16:49 PM

Nice to see someone actually know what theyretalking about. Cork have broken no rule to merit expulsion. The GAA defered the games. Cork could have fielded a hurling side v Waterford but were led to believe that this fixture would be played later. Of course yesterdays events were payback.
wrt to Meath - it obvious theyre scared sh1tless of a repeat of last yrs massacre.
TBT, I dont think it's a scared sh!tless situation, just like I dont believe the same would apply were Cork to play Kerry or Kerry play Meath after the massacre in 2001 etc etc. I personally think that Coyle made a call on it and was more than willing to play earlier and just did not want too many games in a short period of time. In my opinion we would have been better off playing this game as the teams are much closer than indicated by last August's drubbing. I am not sure if the sh1tless comments are designed to get a reaction as certainly I would not have been using similar language against Kerrry in 2001 after similar circumstances in the semi and final. Overall I would have welcomed a game against Cork for all the obvious reasons stated before.

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 21, 2008, 04:08:22 PM
Theres no suggestion that either team officially requested the points (correct me if I am wrong), seems more so that they kept quiet and accepted the decision made.

And if they didnt get the points they wouldnt be a word out of them I suppose? Ya right, of course they have kept quiet, they knew they would get the points and now that its official, neither county is likely to complain..

his holiness nb

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on February 21, 2008, 04:21:29 PM
And if they didnt get the points they wouldnt be a word out of them I suppose? Ya right, of course they have kept quiet, they knew they would get the points and now that its official, neither county is likely to complain..

So by not getting involved and accepting the decision made, they still earn some slaggings  ::)

Also your suggestion that they would have complained if asked to play is purely hypothetical. Theres no way to prove they would or wouldnt have, so its a mute point.

Everyone needs to stop bitching and get on with it.
Ask me holy bollix

his holiness nb

Incidentally, I dont think anyone presumed they would get the points.

There were three options, throw Cork out, make them play the games again, or give the points to Dublin and Meath and play the rest.

I dont think option three was widely predicted on here beforehand, unless Pillar and Coyle had inside information.

They did the right thing and kept their noses out of it.
Ask me holy bollix

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 21, 2008, 04:25:05 PM
Quote from: heineken_on_tap on February 21, 2008, 04:21:29 PM

So by not getting involved and accepting the decision made, they still earn some slaggings  ::)

Also your suggestion that they would have complained if asked to play is purely hypothetical. Theres no way to prove they would or wouldnt have, so its a mute point.

Everyone needs to stop bitching and get on with it.

1) I think they said enough in the media before hand to ensure the matches would not go ahead, Coyle said Meath could be thrown out of the leaugue before they would play Cork. Pillar said he was very dissapointed for the travelling fans but not did indicate he would play the game either - is that not getting involved?? As for not getting involved after the decision it would take some idiot to get involved after the decision goes your way. Sure they got their way - what you expecting - Coyle and pillar make a joint press release congratulating the GAA?

2)Ok we will never know if they would of complained - I take your point, however your been very naive if you honestly believe that. There would of been uproar.
3) Your right about the bithching - we should all get on with it

his holiness nb

Has there been any confirmation as to the points difference given to Dublin and Meath for these matches?
Thats presuming points difference comes into it.

Would be gas saying that Dublin and Meath got their way if they got 5 point wins, then Cork turned out to be shite and were beaten by more than 5 by some counties who ended up on the same points as Dublin or Meath!

I can see all sorts of complications, lets just hope it doesnt come down to that.
Ask me holy bollix

TBT

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 21, 2008, 04:30:57 PM

There were three options, throw Cork out, make them play the games again, or give the points to Dublin and Meath and play the rest.

I dont think option three was widely predicted on here beforehand, unless Pillar and Coyle had inside information.

Look your obviously not the smartest thing around but let me spell it out for you. If the GAA were to kick Cork out of the leagues they'd be breaking their own rules. Kicking Cork out of the league was never an option under rule.

AZOffaly

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 21, 2008, 04:30:57 PM

Ahem.....

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 19, 2008, 11:31:21 AM
I'd imagine they'll forfeit the points against Dublin and Meath in the football, and Kilkenny and Waterford in the hurling.

Then any ties will be settled, if they have to be, with a playoff.

his holiness nb

TBT, are you capable of posting without insulting someone?  ::)

The GAA suggested themselves after the Meath game was postponed for a second time that if they missed another game they could be thrown out.

Whether thats in the rulebook or not, thats what was said.

Either way, even if it wasnt an option, make the point, no need to be insulting.

From your previous posts you are obviously not too bright yourself, but I didnt say anything for the sake of manners. Until now  ;)

Ask me holy bollix