Started by thebandit, February 17, 2008, 07:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Cork be thrown out of the NFL

Yes
No
They should play all their games away
Yes - with a points penalty

thebandit

I think they have had enough time to sort it out, they are holding up the rest of the country and one wonders if a smaller county would have received the same amount of time to get their house in order.

But at the same time it would be a great pity if it would have to go that far.

Owenmoresider

Yes, and a lifetime ban for Donal Óg etc. would be nice too.

Rudi

Yes, but it wont happen. Would love to see Dublin & Meath refusing to play them or alternatively them getting relegated to Div 3 after getting beaten by the other 7 teams in Div 2. Proud county me arse, proud counties dont refuse to play ball

stew

Fine the county board 5000 euro every time they are a no show and ban every man jack of them from receiving an all star nomination. That will sort the feckers out.

Starting five points down in every game in the championship would soon sort them out as well, presuming they would actually have the balls to show up that is.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Puckoon

As with anyone that holds the association to ransom, the penalties should be a suitable deterrent.

Actually I just voted for forcing them to play all their ties (this year or next) away from home.

Maguire01

I doubt we'll have to worry too hard about banning them from all-stars - well the footbalers anyway.  But they should have had to forfeit the points from the 2 games they have missed.  Not that i want to be sticking up for Dublin and Meath (perish the thought!), but now they're probably going to have to play 3 weeks in a row to slot the Cork game in between now and the end of the league.  That's hardly fair.

Hardy

Meath, quite rightly are moving on with the league and won't be metaphorically togging out for the third time to await the non-arrival of the Cork team bus. Forgive the cliche, but fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. There isn't even an option of fool me three times. Not even we would be that thick.

Gnevin

Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 17, 2008, 07:17:28 PM
Yes, and a lifetime ban for Donal Óg etc. would be nice too.
Surely you'd have to ban the idiots in the County Board too?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 18, 2008, 07:36:13 AM
I doubt we'll have to worry too hard about banning them from all-stars - well the footbalers anyway.  But they should have had to forfeit the points from the 2 games they have missed.  Not that i want to be sticking up for Dublin and Meath (perish the thought!), but now they're probably going to have to play 3 weeks in a row to slot the Cork game in between now and the end of the league.  That's hardly fair.
I read yesterday Dublin could have to play 5 weeks in a row to suit cork now

Quote from: Hardy on February 18, 2008, 07:57:32 AM
Meath, quite rightly are moving on with the league and won't be metaphorically togging out for the third time to await the non-arrival of the Cork team bus. Forgive the cliche, but fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. There isn't even an option of fool me three times. Not even we would be that thick.
Whats the 2nd time? First was the first round of the league but whats the second?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hardy

Cork didn't show up for the original fixture. It was then re-fixed for a week later. Again, no sign of the Cork bus.

Here's what Colm Coyle had to say (from hoganstand.com):

Coyle says Royals won't be 'bullied'
07 February 2008

Meath football supremo Colm Coyle has insisted that irrespective of how the Cork row turns out, his side will not be "bullied" into playing the Rebel County next month.

If the Cork strike is resolved, there is a strong possibility that the GAA would re-fix the postponed Meath v Cork NFL match for March 8-9th but Coyle says the match won't be played then.

"I am adamant that we will not be bullied into playing Cork on March 8th or 9th or whenever - no matter what the consequences are," Coyle claimed.

"Our season is up in the air and the GAA may think these are idle threats but the players here aren't happy.

"The GAA have set a precedent and are sending a message to players on this issue so what's to stop others striking?

"I'm not taking sides. I'm just speaking from our point of view. We won't be playing Cork in March. You could even end up with a situation where we are docked points or thrown out of the league, then what's to stop us going on strike?

"It would be interesting to see what happens if the shoe was on the other foot. If this was any other, smaller county, would the GAA be bending over backwards to facilitate them the way they are Cork?"

thejuice

To be honest a competitive game against Cork would be good preperation for the Championship, so in that regard i wouldnt mind if it went ahead, but if it doenst suit our players or managment then no. Totally selfish of course but I dont care.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Farrandeelin

You forgot to add that their grants should be denied as well. :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

irunthev

"The FA is the governing body of football in this country it's time it started to act like one" so said former England manager Graham Taylor in The Times last week when talking about the proposal put forward by Peter Scudamore from the Premier League for teams to play one game a season overseas.
I feel that in light of the Cork issue and the other significant issue that has raised its head in the past few months, that the same could be said for Central Council of the GAA and all the suits in Croke Park.
While they are running around the world at our expense trying to get the Aussies back on board to play a bastardised version of our sport, the Association at home was being held to ransom.

Trying to boot Cork out of the Nat Leagues would be one sure way of re-uniting everyone in Cork and FM wouldn't be long putting together a nice case to present to the DRA (yet another quango created by the GAA hierarchy designed to slowly cannibalise the Association.)

Croí na hÉireann

Voted "Yes - with a points penalty". I presume that means they shouldn't be thrown out but the points should be awarded to Eastmeath and Dublin if they don't want to replay the games. They should play both games away if the opposing teams want to play.

Am down in Cork by chance the weekend of the Cork game so selfishly I hope that game goes ahead. It would also be beneficial to the team for bonding purposes and maybe the odd pint afterwards...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...