Northern Ireland games in Pairc Esler???

Started by amallon, February 14, 2008, 09:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Was Hampden and Ibrox not mentioned last year?
Tbc....

SammyG

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on February 14, 2008, 03:38:31 PM

Wouldn't have thought so. Hampden is used by the SFA, so if we were to use Ibrox (which would be too big any way) ,there'd be NI supporters, Scotland supporters plus two sets of awya fans, all in Glasgow at the same time. Can't imagine the peelers would approve that, even if all the other issues (hotels etc) could be sorted.

Evil Genius

Quote from: SammyG on February 14, 2008, 03:31:44 PM
Quote from: thejuice on February 14, 2008, 03:23:23 PM
Well, if Windsor does close temporarily for construction work, where then? just for the sake of debate.
Fcuk knows, that's one of the many issues that the IFA have failed/refused to address. The two options would presumably be develop a bit at a time (replace the Railway stand, then move the South Stand ticket holders into the new stand and rebuild the South Stand) or move over the water, temporarily, to somewhere like Swansea

It needn't be that major a problem. As Sammy suggests, re-developing in stages may be an option, but even if it isn't, after our March friendly, we've only two home games scheduled for the rest of 2008 and three for 2009 (two in the Spring and one in September).

So long as the money and the will to get on with it were there, it needn't mean playing more than a couple or three "home" games elsewhere, which is 'livable' (imo). Unfortunately, we seem further than ever from securing eithe the necessary money or will, so long as the politicians continue to fart around  >:(
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Chrisowc

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on February 14, 2008, 03:03:51 PM
Quote from: SammyG on February 14, 2008, 01:39:12 PM
Unfortunately not. The RoI are only allowed temp seating as they already have an agreement and a new stadium under development. FIFA haven't allowed any new requests for a while.

Depends on the seats.  The "temporary" seats in Croker are certified as equivalent to permament as defined by FIFA.  The Hill 16 terrraces is specially designed for them.   The exemption you refer to was for Lansdowne Road.

Just like the provision for underground heating and floodlighting:  we maybe bigots but we are far-sighted bigots!

/Jim.

Far-sighted indeed!  Underground floodlighting? ;D
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

armaghniac

QuoteUnderground floodlighting?

Indeed, it helps the grass grow.  :P
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Yes, Ibrox was mentioned as a potential last year. Then someone caught themselves on - if they can travel to Scotland for internationals (sic) then why cant they drive 15 mile down the motorway to Long Kesh.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

SammyG

Quote from: Orior on February 14, 2008, 05:02:17 PM

Yes, Ibrox was mentioned as a potential last year. Then someone caught themselves on - if they can travel to Scotland for internationals (sic) then why cant they drive 15 mile down the motorway to Long Kesh.

Aye cos that's what the problem is.  >:(

his holiness nb

Its funny how the NI fans are quite happy to cross the water for a few games while our own FAI were whingeing like bitches about having to do the same during their media campaign to have Croke Park opened up.

Then again given the self proclaimed racism from the GAA towards the loyalists of NI, I'm not surprised they dont want to play at GAA grounds  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

thejuice

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 14, 2008, 03:49:17 PM
It needn't be that major a problem. As Sammy suggests, re-developing in stages may be an option, but even if it isn't, after our March friendly, we've only two home games scheduled for the rest of 2008 and three for 2009 (two in the Spring and one in September).

Well you also have to take into account that almost all stadium projects over-run time-scale and/or budget, its never straight forward. but then again depends on how big a stadium we're talking about. I know there's no concrete plans but how big would an adequate stadium be?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

his holiness nb

Quote from: thejuice on February 14, 2008, 05:24:47 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on February 14, 2008, 03:49:17 PM

Well you also have to take into account that almost all stadium projects over-run time-scale and/or budget, its never straight forward.

Interesting point, were the FAI meant to be back in Lansdowne around now?
Any minute now eh?
::)
Ask me holy bollix

Solomon Kane

Quote from: amallon on February 14, 2008, 09:53:28 AM
Plus would the Northern Ireland supporters not wreck the place along with most of Newry.

Newry has a population of about 33500. Pairc Esler has a capacity of 10000. How many seats? Will there be enough of them allowed to go to the match to wreck most of Newry?

his holiness nb

Quote from: Solomon Kane on February 14, 2008, 05:52:45 PM
Quote from: amallon on February 14, 2008, 09:53:28 AM
Plus would the Northern Ireland supporters not wreck the place along with most of Newry.

Newry has a population of about 33500. Pairc Esler has a capacity of 10000. How many seats? Will there be enough of them allowed to go to the match to wreck most of Newry?

Great defence of your fans there Solomon, we wouldnt wreck the place because there wouldnt be enough of us to do it!  :o

Why not just say "we arent like that", or do you know otherwise?  ;)

Ask me holy bollix

Solomon Kane

Because the original post was so ridiculous I didn't think I had to. We have been all over the place without "wrecking" anywhere, so I can't for the life of me see why Newry would be any different. Besides that, I was in Newry a few weeks ago and by the looks of parts of it someone has already beaten us to it. ;)

his holiness nb

Quote from: Solomon Kane on February 14, 2008, 06:06:01 PM
was in Newry a few weeks ago and by the looks of parts of it someone has already beaten us to it. ;)

:D :D :D :D

Cant argue with that!
Ask me holy bollix

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 15, 2008, 10:30:34 AM
Quote from: Solomon Kane on February 14, 2008, 06:06:01 PM
was in Newry a few weeks ago and by the looks of parts of it someone has already beaten us to it. ;)

:D :D :D :D

Cant argue with that!

Reminds me of the old newpaper story, that somebody dropped an atomic bomb, on Newry and caused £17 worth of improvement.