Quote from: AZOffaly on February 13, 2008, 04:45:57 PM
In it's most basic format (25) the cards are ranked

5 of trumps
Jack (knave) of trumps
Ace of Hearts
Ace of Trumps.
King of Trumps
Queen of Trumps

Then if suit is black the lower non-picture card wins, e.g. the 5 of clubs beats the 7 of clubs.
if the suit is red, the higher card wins. e.g. the 7 of hearts beats the 5 of hearts.

Best trump wins a trick.
If no trumps played by anyone, the best card in the suit first laid wins the trick.

A trick is worth 5 points.

Every player gets 5 cards in each deal. If you have the ace of trumps (trumps is determined by the turning of the next card in the pack after the cards are all dealt) you must rob the trump that was turned up, by laying your worst card face down and picking up the trump turned up by the dealer.

(if the turned card is your worst card, there is nothing stopping you taking it up, and laying it straight back down again face down).

If at the end of the hand there is no one with 25 points (5 tricks) the deal moves on to the left, and scores carry over to the next hand.

My knowledge of 25 is sketchy to say the least but is that not the worst example you could have used, does the 5 of a suit not beat everything in that suit?  ???  ???

Loughers

Only the man with the ace can rob the five if it's turned up.  Doesn't matter who deals.

AZOffaly

No, not at all. Only the 5 of trumps beats everything.

If the hand is off suit, the 5 of black is better than the seven, whereas the 7 of red is better than 5.

Obviously if the suit in question is a trump, then the 5 beats all.

Maybe I should have said the 4 beats the 7, and vice versa.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Loughers on February 13, 2008, 05:00:44 PM
Only the man with the ace can rob the five if it's turned up.  Doesn't matter who deals.

The man with the ace can rob whatever card is turned up, including the five.

ExiledGael

Quote from: gerry on February 13, 2008, 04:52:16 PM
yea. if you deal a ace its yours, you select your weakness card and put it under the pack,  then everyone knows you have a ace and  are waiting on you to play it and win the hand.

The most twisted of all card games. Many's the man fell out over this. The oul boy plays nothing else.
One thing that I was never sure of, and often debated, was if, when holding the ace of trump, you must lay down your weakest card before anyone throws in for the first five to lift your new card? Can you wait until such time as you want to use the ace or the card to be lifted?
Always seemed like an unfair disadvantage to let them know straight away what two of your cards were if you'd got an ace.

The Five is only of use if it's the trump suit, then known as "the fingers, you bastard".

Rick O Shea

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 13, 2008, 05:01:45 PM
No, not at all. Only the 5 of trumps beats everything.

If the hand is off suit, the 5 of black is better than the seven, whereas the 7 of red is better than 5.

Obviously if the suit in question is a trump, then the 5 beats all.

Maybe I should have said the 4 beats the 7, and vice versa.

oh yeah, my bad.

Though it definitely would have be easier if you used the example of 4 and 7

Loughers

Wasn't planning going out tonight, but I've made a few calls and we've a few pints of stout and a game organised for tonight.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: ExiledGael on February 13, 2008, 05:03:07 PM
Quote from: gerry on February 13, 2008, 04:52:16 PM
yea. if you deal a ace its yours, you select your weakness card and put it under the pack,  then everyone knows you have a ace and  are waiting on you to play it and win the hand.

The most twisted of all card games. Many's the man fell out over this. The oul boy plays nothing else.
One thing that I was never sure of, and often debated, was if, when holding the ace of trump, you must lay down your weakest card before anyone throws in for the first five to lift your new card? Can you wait until such time as you want to use the ace or the card to be lifted? Always seemed like an unfair disadvantage to let them know straight away what two of your cards were if you'd got an ace.

The Five is only of use if it's the trump suit, then known as "the fingers, you bastard".
the we used to play it that if you had the ace of trump you could pick up the rob once it came into you however if you dealt youself the ace you had to lay down your weakest card before anyone played their 1st card . I can still here the sounds of lads knuckles hammering off a table as they won a trick, nothing better than seeing  ace of hearts getting beat by as jack then to be hammered by a five and someone yelling "thats a game of cards"
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Farrandeelin

For all the non-25 players it's the only card game I can actually play. Haven't a notion about poker or any other card-game for that matter. It's a [ity more younger people aren't at it though... :-\
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Roseyland

25 is very popular around the midlands, progressive 25 where there might be up to 20 tables of 4 takes place once a week in the local community centre. A popular variant of the game down in the local pub is auction 15/20 where there's and extra hand dealt and the highest bidder takes it, picking the best five from his own and the auctioned hand, the object is to get 3 tricks in one hand if a trump has been laid out, or 4 tricks in one hand and pick your own trump. Some craic trying to prevent the lad from winning with the winking/nudging etc. ;D

Farrandeelin

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 13, 2008, 04:54:50 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on February 13, 2008, 04:50:46 PM
I believe that is holding back on a trump card so you can keep it to win a big trick. For example if I had the 5 and it was my only trump, and I didnt play it in turn, but held it back in order to beat someones nave, or ace of hearts.?
???

It's even more complicated than that.

The way it is played in Offaly and Kerry is this.

If a trump is played, you MUST lay a trump on it, even if your trump will be beaten. If you do not have a trump, you may lay your worst card on it.
There are, however, exceptions to the rule. You *can* renege the 5 of trumps off any card. You can renege the Jack off any card, except the five. You can renege the Ace of Hearts off anything except the 5 and Jack,

Also......

If a NON_trump is laid, you must either
a) Lay a card from the same suit if you have it OR
b) Lay a trump card if you prefer (to try and win the hand) OR
c) Lay any other card if you have no suited card, and don't want to waste/don't have a trump.

That's the way we play it at home as well AZ.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

brokencrossbar1

Only played by brave men!

We used play it all the time on the bus from Belfast to Cross for training.  Paul the wall was the king at it(are you one of us Paul? ;)) and the McEntees.  Great way to pass the time and plenty of packets of matches were fcuked at boys for reneging :D

I have forgotten how to play it so I must have a wee hoke around to see what I can pick up again.

supersarsfields

Tis a great game alright. Me father used to play it flat out when we were younger. He always prefered it to the poker. Used to play alot years ago but haven't played in a while now. And what about whist? Anyone play at that?
I have to say I have moved on to texas hold em at the minute.

FL/MAYO

Have to agree its a great game, I was at home for 5 weeks last winter and was not long picking up the game again. Great game in a pub with a few pints. A previous poster mentioned Auction 15 which is also a great game with a bit of gambling thrown in.

tyssam5

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 13, 2008, 04:54:50 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on February 13, 2008, 04:50:46 PM
I believe that is holding back on a trump card so you can keep it to win a big trick. For example if I had the 5 and it was my only trump, and I didnt play it in turn, but held it back in order to beat someones nave, or ace of hearts.?
???

It's even more complicated than that.

The way it is played in Offaly and Kerry is this.

If a trump is played, you MUST lay a trump on it, even if your trump will be beaten. If you do not have a trump, you may lay your worst card on it.
There are, however, exceptions to the rule. You *can* renege the 5 of trumps off any card. You can renege the Jack off any card, except the five. You can renege the Ace of Hearts off anything except the 5 and Jack,

Also......

If a NON_trump is laid, you must either
a) Lay a card from the same suit if you have it OR
b) Lay a trump card if you prefer (to try and win the hand) OR
c) Lay any other card if you have no suited card, and don't want to waste/don't have a trump.

Same rules as Tyrone as far as I remember, haven't played in years.