Is 25 only played by Fenians?

Started by Loughers, February 13, 2008, 03:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

And to reply to the original question I do remember plenty, or at least a representative amount for the part of the country I'm from, of the 25 sharks being 'non-Fenians'.  :)

Rossfan

It's the only game of cards worth playing but unless you are very good at it you have to keep away from oul lads.
I used to play a lot in my younger days but hardly have time these days.
Still every time I see a pack of cards I get a tingle up the spine.
By the way I know a few Prods who were contrary hoors around the table too.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

gawa316

Quote from: Loughers on February 13, 2008, 04:48:04 PM
gawa316, produce a deck after the next game in Windsor.

Ye never know, weirder things have been done.

Now you mention it there was only me and another young fella who where prods playin it. Use to play it up at work near Lisnaskea on our tea break. We played with matchsticks (gay I know) but what sort of currency usually exchanges hands?

Fishbat

Quote from: the Deel Rover on February 13, 2008, 04:42:14 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on February 13, 2008, 04:32:40 PM
My grandmother reared us playing 25 - great game, but I completely forget how to play it now.

Ah its a great game especially if your playing partners with a few auld fellas , a man could be killed for letting a trick out, Its highest in Red and Lowest in Black puck everyone is dealt 5 cards  3 first and then 2 or vice versa and a card is then tuned over, the best card you can get is the 5 of trumps followed by jack, ace of hearts, king and queen and so on. You get 5 for every trick you win so the objest is to win 5 tricks, gets interesting trying to keep the count especially if you have a few pints on board ;) sorry for the poor explanation of the game but the next time your in mayo i'll show you properely money of course :)

Thats where the beer mats come in - rip them up into wee squares, one per trick

Fishbat

Aye same rules as up nort.

Heres a rule from my own town - double bubble - a pound in from each fella at the start, if anyone gets 25 straight from the one hand everyone forks in another squib each.

Or play 30 to stop that from happening.

creates some slagging matches alright - every man is watchin like a hawk

J70

I remember it in Donegal as a kid, but I haven't come across it anywhere else.

Fishbat

Quote from: J70 on February 14, 2008, 12:09:22 AM
I remember it in Donegal as a kid, but I haven't come across it anywhere else.

Yip, thats where my 25 teacher came from (aul fella) shores of Lough Swilly - taught all the tricks (pardon the pun) of the trade by 10 yrs old

Anyone have an idea where it originated?

Son_of_Sam

Not many Fenians in Mayo but the Blueshirts (or 85% of the population) play it  ;D

rosnarun

If a NON_trump is laid, you must either
a) Lay a card from the same suit if you have it

same rules in north mayo apart from the above. i think thats one that slipped in from whist
was a big game in  galway too .my grandfather was akways playing it in the pubsaround moylogh and mountbellew. one of the few card games thats as good without money though manys a turkey was won playing it in cawleys of rakestreet they even had put up a brand new car at one stage . mind you you had to play for a full winter to win it, ruined many a good man
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AZOffaly

We used to throw in a fiver or tenner a man, and first to 3 games wins the pot. We used to keep track of tricks with broken matches, and a full match was a game. So if you had 2 full matches, and 4 broken matches you were '20 for out'.

Now we use the hold 'em poker chips to count. Red counts games, green counts tricks.

Also, at the end of the night we would have 'the scoop'. Basically one game of 25 for 2 or 3 euro each. Winner of the game takes the pot.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 14, 2008, 08:32:26 AM
We used to throw in a fiver or tenner a man, and first to 3 games wins the pot. We used to keep track of tricks with broken matches, and a full match was a game. So if you had 2 full matches, and 4 broken matches you were '20 for out'.

Now we use the hold 'em poker chips to count. Red counts games, green counts tricks.

Also, at the end of the night we would have 'the scoop'. Basically one game of 25 for 2 or 3 euro each. Winner of the game takes the pot.

thats what we would do as well Az first to 3 gets the money, golden rule in 25 never let the dealer get a soft trick let him earn his 5 ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AZOffaly

You could pressure a newbie dealer as well. Keep going on about the 'dealing trick', and then send in a small prod to see if he/she will bite. If a big trump comes out, you have them :D

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 14, 2008, 09:33:45 AM
You could pressure a newbie dealer as well. Keep going on about the 'dealing trick', and then send in a small prod to see if he/she will bite. If a big trump comes out, you have them :D

:D :D ye Az allways good to see the five of trumps hammering a wee 3 or 4 of trumps
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: the Deel Rover on February 14, 2008, 09:39:25 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 14, 2008, 09:33:45 AM

:D :D ye Az allways good to see the five of trumps hammering a wee 3 or 4 of trumps

Dear but honest, we used to say !!
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore