Ireland versus Brazil

Started by Surreal Steve, February 05, 2008, 08:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Jaysus, Laoislad are you serious? Amid the mediocrity tonight McGeady was a brighter spark - always available and willing to take on his man. Most of what was good tonight came through McGeady.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

It´s just hit me

Hunt is a Laois Lad  ;D ;D

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteQuote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on February 05, 2008, 11:03:01 PM
Tony usually starts these threads, usualy with references to "the Real Ireland" and derogatory references to "the north east of ireland team"

You just concentrate on keeping your unruly shower of hooligans behaved when they're passing the poor God fearing Catholics on their way out of Ash Wednesday mass in the chaplaincy tomorrow evening!

are you taking the piss?
the only incidents that have happened in the past 2 times a game has happened on ash wednesday is a bit of verbals back and forth the first time.
The second time the people where out of the chaplaincy early and the bar was full of them and ni fans without a bother.

I was taking the piss. Hope there was no trouble though.

Thought Ireland played reasonably well tonight. Don't rate McGeady at all but he looked quite dangerous tonight. Carsley had a decent game. Great work from the front 2 as well.

Roll on the next manager!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Declan

QuoteIt's Savage Declan, but in a shithole of an area, and a nightmare to get out of. Well, it was back in October for the NFL game. I was wondering if they had special arrangements for midweek Internationals there. I'd be interested to hear how easy you find it to get back into the city from there

No real problems getting home - left 2 mins before the hand to beat the rush and was back in town by 10.30. Bit of a queue getting into the tube station but all in all well organised. However it was a nightmare getting there - 2 hours 15 mins to travel from Canary Wharf - Tube lines down so actually didn't get in until 30 mins after kick off. >:(

From what I saw of the game England were pretty average - centre defence looked dodgy and they gave away a simple goal - Rooney was excellent in the second half and himself and Gerrard did well for the second goal but Fabio certainly knows the height of his challenge now!!!!

Crouch could have scored and did alright when he came on.

Wembley is a fantastic stadium alright and seats were great

AZOffaly

I thought McGeady was fairly good tonight, in comparison to his earlier games. He brings that bit of unpredictablilty that Duff used to bring before he got injured. A couple of his ball skills to extricate himself from tight situations were as good as any the Brazilians managed. Robinho's 'trick' near the end was like something you'd see a lad with white boots try in the Limerick League Division 3B. Same result too :D

Anyway, McGeady still has a lot to improve on, especially getting his head up, and passing it earlier before he gets in trouble, but overall promising.

I thought Duff was reasonable, maybe he'll flourish under Keegan again. At least he looked like he was thinking about taking people on last night. As his fitness improves, he could get back to something approaching what he was.

Duff on the Right, and McGeady on the left, switching every so often, would give Ireland a nice balance, and a legitimate hope of getting behind people.

Given was grand apart from one flap in the second half, from what I saw. (I didn't see all the game). He looked a bit sheepish about that.

Kelly looked a bit out of his depth, and should have gotten a red card for that challenge on Robinho. Really poor I thought.
Dunne and O'Shea were solid enough, never really torn apart, but you got the sense that if the Brazilians ran at them, they'd be in trouble. Ireland's midfield will have to protect against runs from deep, and let the centre halves deal with long balls, set pieces and following the strikers.
Kilbane was grand going forward again, but is a little open to the ball down the channel behind him. Still, he's not a liability there.

McGeady and Duff I already mentioned, but Miller and Carsely were completely outplayed by the Brazilians. No shame in that I suppose, because the Brazilians are very comfortable on the ball, no matter what XI they pick. The worrying thing is that there is zero creativity from Miller, and Carsley is beginning to run down. I agree with whoever said we need an Andy Reid - type player, if by that they mean a player who will put his foot on the ball, and pass it to a green shirt. The problem is that I don't think Andy Reid is that player at the moment. He's too erratic in his delivery from set pieces and his distribution generally, as well as his suspect fitness levels. However, he probably is the best hope for Ireland in that position, so hopefully Roy Keane works on him at Sunderland. It's either him or Stephen Ireland at Citeh, and only if his head is right. He's the opposite of Reid in body size. If you could transplant about a stone and ahalf from Reid to Ireland, you'd have two good players :D

Keane worked hard, looked lively I thought, and was unlucky with a great reverse pass to Duff. Also if Kilbane's knock down had been a foot closer to him, rather than the keeper, he would have gotten his goal. I really liked to see him chasing down the keeper and defenders in the second half. That's what Ireland need to do.

Doyle looked quiet enough, similar to the season he's had with Reading. It's not quite happening for him, but he's still useful in the air, for his size, and the best bet we have up front to partner Robbie Keane. Shane Long might be worth a go in the new regime to see if his energy would give things a shake up.

The main difference was the quality Brazil had on the ball, and their incisive passing and ability to keep it, playing triangles, even when under pressure. Their goal was a perfect example of how to break, and Robinho's finish exemplified their quality. All brains, calmness and skillful execution.

A few friendlies against teams like that would be great for a youngish team like Ireland.

Newbridge Exile

AZOffaly

I thought Hunt was from Laois, but played with Waterford? Could be wrong, actually probably am given Gabriel's signature photo.

AZOffaly

We're both right, according to the bible that is Wikipedia

Early years

Hunt became known for his creative and skillful play as well as his work rate as a winger. Although born in county Laois in Ireland, Hunt grew up in Clonea-Power, Waterford in the south of Ireland. Hunts first introduction to organised football was when he moved to the Mount Sion secondary school in Waterford at the age of 11.

T Fearon

Good game last night, certainly better than the 2004 one. Probably good that Brazil were missing their big names as it motivated a few fringe players to try and impress. Great samba support on the Hill and an excellent article in the match programme written by Gary Spain on previous Ireland Brazil clashes. Very informative, even I wasnt aware that Pat Jennings saved a penalty in the famous 4-3 game in 1973. Great year for penalty saves for the big man was 1973. He saved two penalties against Liverpool at Anfield both in the same game, that year as well

Declan

QuoteVery informative, even I wasnt aware that Pat Jennings saved a penalty in the famous 4-3 game in 1973

Given your fantastic recollection of past games I'm surprised at that Tony. Weren't you at it? ;)

T Fearon

Wasn't at it and was majorly disappointed. Was in my early teens and one of my mates da's was taking a car down but he had room for family members only. I was genuinely unaware that Jennings saved a penalty in this game. Gary sure knows his stuff

Main Street

It's doubtfull that we can have success with a 4 man midfield including 2 wingers from Duff, McGeady Hunt

I think we have to go for a 5 man midfield.

Andy Reid played well against Germany but was less influential against a weaker Wales away.
I'd put that down to Carsley playing too deep and not supporting Reid when Reid got closed down.
The two Reids together are a better balance but Steven Reid is our most injury prone player since Keith O'Neill.

The outstanding CM prospect from the U21s is Owen Garvan, he looked the part against the England U21s and should be drafted into the senior squad

tyroneman

Quoteknow posters will say he is excellent for Celtic but i don't care how well he does for Celtic

Insert "Robbie Keane" and "Spurs" into that remark and you wouldn't be far off either.

Hunt is naother player hyped in the EPL who was absolutley atrocious last night after coming on. Several times he tried to beat a man and simply kicked the ball striaght out over the line, then hung his head sheepishly and trotted back down the park. His crossing was terribel and he contributed zero to the game.

Having seen the game first hand I have to say McGeady did alright, the extra speed he seemed to gain this year at Celtic doesn't seem enough to beat international footballers however as he constantly checked back inside.

Duff was ok too, as was Dunne

Carsley is woeful however and it is embarrasing that he is the mainstay of our midfeild after greats such as Whelan, Houghton and Keane (I know beggars can't be choosers but come on.................)

Main Street

Hunt is better for Ireland than what he showed last night.
Usually he does have the ability to hit good crosses into the box.
By his standards for Ireland he was poor last night.

Having Carsley in midfield simply does not work with 2 wingers and a lightweight Miller. He plays too deep and can only pass 5 metres.
There was no better holding midfielder option than Carsley available to play last night.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 06, 2008, 10:09:30 PMBut i can't for the life of me see how McGeady is getting into the first XI,I have never seen him play well for Ireland..He takes far to many touches with the ball and usually ends up running into a dead end or giving the ball away..he had a great chance to put Duffer thru in the second half but waited far to long to deliver the pass and Duff was then offside when he did pass it too him..
I know posters will say he is excellent for Celtic but i don't care how well he does for Celtic he has yet to produce it for Ireland,And it's also a massive difference playing against St.Mirren,Falkirk etc every week and then playing against the likes of Brazil and other top national teams..From what i have seen he isn't good enough for this level..

Your anti-McGeady mindset has got the better of you here, he reproduced the form for Ireland (finally) that he's had for Celtic this year, cetainly offered more than Duffer last night. Got a great laugh out of Hunts comment for not being selected, apparently he was offered an "iffy excuse"  :D All that's left to wonder is if the FAI will make a balls out of appointing Trappatoni...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...