OWC Challenge - count the Kaflicks!

Started by Donagh, January 31, 2008, 02:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Quote from: nifan on February 03, 2008, 03:07:21 PM
theres been games on ash wednesday 2 times in recent years sam

i honestly dont know what the rest of your post is about?
Dont think theres been any bother associated with it, apart from the first one there was some "back and forth" between some ni fans leaving the union, and some leaving the chaplaincy and going into the union.

I am convinced that in the past there has been a thread about NI games on Ash Wednesday and a Portydown / Poyntzpass based poster included a serenade to the act of receiving the Ashes on Ash Wednesday called "The Ash My Father Wore". He also referred to the game at Windsor as Sash Wednesday. Can't find the proof, but I am certain it happened. I was going to ask Evil Genius for confirmation, but sure isn't his memory shot to pieces. :D
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Fishbat

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 01, 2008, 07:19:17 PM
Quote from: Chrisowc on February 01, 2008, 06:13:16 PM
A few years ago in work we had a young guy from East Belfast who I don't think had crossed the Lagan in his puff.  It was Ash Wednesday and one of the women in work had ash on her head.

This boy, thinking he was being polite and helpful, told her that she had dirt on her head.  All hell broke loose.  Thats discrimination!!!! she squeeled.  Thankfully he beat me to it and I had said nothing :D

I'd say the same girl had a hotline to Connolly House.

I remember a (Prod) mate of mine at College pulled a good one one Ash Wednesday. He went into the student bar at lunchtime, where he sat down and chatted with several groups of people. Mid-conversation, he'd suddenly say to one of the Prods in the group: "You've got something on your forehead" and go to dab it off for them with his finger. What they didn't know was that he'd just dipped his finger in his cigarette ash, and was actually dabbing it on!

Some of his "victims" went around all day with it on before they realised why everyone was grinning at them all the time.  :D

aye deadly altogether...

""Long after the final whistle in Gran Canaria had sounded the death knell of Northern Ireland's Euro 2008 hopes, 4,000 green and white fans were still doing the "bouncey" and singing "We're not Brazil, we're Northern Ireland.""

Cringe factor is off the scale

Yer Ma

Quote from: Fishbat on February 03, 2008, 08:56:43 PM
Quote from: Chrisowc on February 01, 2008, 06:13:16 PM
A few years ago in work we had a young guy from East Belfast who I don't think had crossed the Lagan in his puff.  It was Ash Wednesday and one of the women in work had ash on her head.

This boy, thinking he was being polite and helpful, told her that she had dirt on her head.  All hell broke loose.  Thats discrimination!!!! she squeeled.  Thankfully he beat me to it and I had said nothing :D

I'd say the same girl had a hotline to Connolly House.

I remember a (Prod) mate of mine at College pulled a good one one Ash Wednesday. He went into the student bar at lunchtime, where he sat down and chatted with several groups of people. Mid-conversation, he'd suddenly say to one of the Prods in the group: "You've got something on your forehead" and go to dab it off for them with his finger. What they didn't know was that he'd just dipped his finger in his cigarette ash, and was actually dabbing it on!

Some of his "victims" went around all day with it on before they realised why everyone was grinning at them all the time.  :D

aye deadly altogether...

""Long after the final whistle in Gran Canaria had sounded the death knell of Northern Ireland's Euro 2008 hopes, 4,000 green and white fans were still doing the "bouncey" and singing "We're not Brazil, we're Northern Ireland.""

Ole, ole, ole, ole...........

ziggysego

Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 03, 2008, 08:09:53 PM
I am convinced that in the past there has been a thread about NI games on Ash Wednesday and a Portydown / Poyntzpass based poster included a serenade to the act of receiving the Ashes on Ash Wednesday called "The Ash My Father Wore". He also referred to the game at Windsor as Sash Wednesday. Can't find the proof, but I am certain it happened. I was going to ask Evil Genius for confirmation, but sure isn't his memory shot to pieces. :D

That definately sounds familiar alright SS.
Testing Accessibility

Evil Genius

aye deadly altogether...

Well, it raised a laugh, but maybe it isn't sophisticated enough for you or something?

So you find it cringeworthy that some football fans manage to enjoy themselves after a game? The fact is, these fans had travelled a long way, it was the end of an enjoyable campaign, they were on a holiday isle, with many of the fans having brought their family for a week oh, and they were being kept back by the local police until the home fans had dispersed. What would you have preferred them to do? Sit around moaning, or wreck the place or something? Or is it that you aren't comfortable with having some of your prejudices challenged, so feel the need to sneer?

Anyway, if you found that little description hard to take, you'll possibly cringe to death on this one. I hope.

SPANISH FAN APPLAUDS THE GREEN AND WHITE ARMY
20/12/2007
'THE Northern Ireland fans are the best football supporters I have ever met in my entire life.'

These are the words of one Spanish fan who was at the Euro 2008 qualifier at the Estadio de Gran Canaria in Las Palmas on November 21.

Jose Vizcaíno emailed the Irish FA to say that our supporters are simply the best!

This is what Jose said:

"I'm sending this email from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, where your national squad recently played a qualifying match against Spain.  Unfortunately your boys didn't make it after fighting all the way, but the main reason for this message is to thank your fans... they are the best supporters I've ever seen in my life.

"I was at the stadium and they are the best example of what supporters should be like, cheering non stop, singing their songs, saying goodbye to local supporters, and while they were losing and the Swedish were winning!  The whole island is commenting on that, even the local news mentioned how proud you should be of your supporters.

"After the match.... no problems at all - I stayed after the match drinking with your fans, singing, exchanging flags, shirts, and some good laughs!  And there were no problems with anyone.  Thank you, thank you, thank you Northern Ireland fans for being the way you are!!  You'll always be in our hearts in the Canaries, and next time... your squad has to make it the Finals for your supporters!  Northern Ireland fans don't ever change."

All that and with a name like Jose Vizcaino, probably a Fenian as well... :D

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Any self-respecting Gran Canarian wouldn't support Spain anyhow - I've seen the graffiti in Playa del Inglés: "The Canaries are not Spanish".

So no wonder Joe Vincent was complimenting any team that was fighting, sorry, playing the Imperialists.

¡Viva la Quinta Brigada!

PS I bet wee Joe is now ending his perfect norn iron sentences with 'so it is'.

"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Chrisowc

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on February 04, 2008, 03:19:01 PM
Any self-respecting Gran Canarian wouldn't support Spain anyhow - I've seen the graffiti in Playa del Inglés: "The Canaries are not Spanish".

So no wonder Joe Vincent was complimenting any team that was fighting, sorry, playing the Imperialists.

¡Viva la Quinta Brigada!

PS I bet wee Joe is now ending his perfect norn iron sentences with 'so it is'.

So you are basing your opinion that 'any self-respecting Gran Canarian wouldn't support Spain' is based on some graffiti you saw in Playa del Ingles?  Very scientific.  Who are you to tell anyone living a couple of thousand miles away how they should see themselves?

Having said that there was plenty of Canarian good will shown to us and some locals commented that they would be supporting Northern Ireland against Spain.  I did see (including 30 odd thousand at the match) and speak to many more who were supporting Spain.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Nah, it was based on one elderly barman called Pedro who kept on giving us free drinks because we accepted his reasonable argument that the Royalists in Madrid had no right to govern this wee group of islands hundreds of miles by distance, if not a million miles culturally different from the indigenous people.

Quote"Who are you to tell anyone living a couple of thousand miles away how they should see themselves?"

Oh the irony.

Donagh

Quote from: Chrisowc on February 04, 2008, 03:33:06 PM
I did see (including 30 odd thousand at the match) and speak to many more who were supporting Spain,
so I did.

Chrisowc

Quote from: Donagh on February 04, 2008, 03:49:16 PM
Quote from: Chrisowc on February 04, 2008, 03:33:06 PM
I did see (including 30 odd thousand at the match) and speak to many more who were supporting Spain,
so I did.

Did you?

Chrisowc

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on February 04, 2008, 03:41:38 PM
Nah, it was based on one elderly barman called Pedro who kept on giving us free drinks because we accepted his reasonable argument that the Royalists in Madrid had no right to govern this wee group of islands hundreds of miles by distance, if not a million miles culturally different from the indigenous people.

Quote"Who are you to tell anyone living a couple of thousand miles away how they should see themselves?"

Oh the irony.

Care to explain the irony?

Evil Genius

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on February 04, 2008, 03:19:01 PM

Surely any self-respecting anti-Imperialist, anti-Monarchist, self-determining Gran Canarian wouldn't support either team in this match?

Much more consistent would be to ignore it altogether and stay at home pursuing truly native Gran Can sports, like "Fleece the Tourist"... :D
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: Chrisowc on February 04, 2008, 04:02:11 PM

Oh the irony.

Ach now.  "As British as Finchley" springs to mind, obviously.

Chrisowc

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on February 04, 2008, 04:09:51 PM

Oh the irony.

I asked you 'who are you to tell someone living thousands of miles away how they view themselves'.  You responded with 'oh the irony' as if I had done the same thing.

As far as I see it if someone from Gran Canaria wants to see themselves as Spanish or solely Canarian that is their choice and good luck to them either way.

So have another go - where is the Irony in my original statement?

Evil Genius

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on February 04, 2008, 04:09:51 PM

Oh the irony.

Doesn't really do it for me, I'm afraid. You see, telling us who you are, or even who we should be, is one thing; since whether we see ourselves as British/Irish/Northern Irish etc, we each have a stake (and therefore a say) in the whole Britain/Ireland debate.

By what special qualification do you reserve to yourself the right to pass comment on the people of Spain and the Canaries? Some Graffiti and "An old bloke in a Bar" is hardly enough; you'd need to add "The Cab Driver who took me to the Airport" to establish a real rock-solid case... ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"