Spotlight on BBC 6 Counties tomorrow night

Started by T Fearon, January 28, 2008, 04:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Do Celtic and Rangers players get booed at internationals the world over?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

full back

Well what about booing your own players because of their club affiliation nifan?

his holiness nb

I get your point Nifan, but you go to an ROI game where a Rangers player or ex player is in the opposition, and you will get way more booes than any Liverpool or Man Utd player would, not slightly more, a huge amount more.

And I dont beleive for a second thats its because there are way for Celtic fans there than Liverpool or United.

Rangers = the protestant team to many.
Celtic = the catholic team to many.

Unfortunately there are a lot more of these people out there than makes me comfortable and I would have to say that, to me, much of the booing of these Celtic and Rangers players is down to bigotry.
Ask me holy bollix

nifan

Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 01, 2008, 12:25:17 PM
Do Celtic and Rangers players get booed at internationals the world over?

No, and thats not what i said

nifan

HHN,

i would say some of it is, but i genuinely think there would be a good few more celtic fans in a ROI crowd than man u fans say (id say a lot of the liverpool fans would also be celtic fans for example, same for man u fans)

Im not denying that some are driven by sectarianism, but i believe most celtic fans you talk about here dislike rangfers players regardless of religion.

his holiness nb

Quote from: nifan on February 01, 2008, 12:38:23 PM
but i believe most celtic fans you talk about here dislike rangfers players regardless of religion.

They probably dont know the religion of many, but I think they are booed for playing for the "protestant" team.
So instead of getting booed for being protestant, its for being "protestant lovers" to put a very childish term on it.

Just my opinion anyway, not claiming it as fact.
Ask me holy bollix

nifan

im not entirely disagreeing, just that there is a large range of opinions.

It comes down to the same point as to why they suppor the team in the first place IMO, is it because they support the "catholic" team, or they are brought up supporting the team as a football team. Predominantly the latter i would hope.

I know many celtic fans who despise rangers and it players (particulalry ferguson) but are far from being bigots or being concerned with "protestant lovers"

Chrisowc

Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 01, 2008, 08:38:38 AM
On an unrelated topic, I have a couple of questions.

#1. Will the GAWA of OWCers have a special welcome in store for any individuals in the Bulgarian squad on Wednesday?

#2. If yes, who would the individual(s) be and why would they receive such a special welcome?

I can't speak for the GAWA but personally I won't be giving any opposition player a 'special welcome'.  I'm particularly looking forward to seeing Berbatov.  I expect him to show touches of class but he probably won't be too bothered as he doesn't look bothered at the best of times (que a hat-trick).

If the Bulgarian team play good football, which I expect them to do, then I will be applauding them off the pitch.

I would hope that the sectarian idiots are becoming less in number as time goes on and any stick dished out to Petrov will be based on his performance on the night.

If not, (maybe even if so) I'm sure there will be a 20 page thread by this time next week on the subject.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Main Street

Home crowd boos an away player  - soccer shocker.

Evil Genius

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 01, 2008, 12:28:55 PM
I get your point Nifan, but you go to an ROI game where a Rangers player or ex player is in the opposition, and you will get way more booes than any Liverpool or Man Utd player would, not slightly more, a huge amount more.

And I dont beleive for a second thats its because there are way for Celtic fans there than Liverpool or United.

Rangers = the protestant team to many.
Celtic = the catholic team to many.

Unfortunately there are a lot more of these people out there than makes me comfortable and I would have to say that, to me, much of the booing of these Celtic and Rangers players is down to bigotry.

Can't argue with too much of that, except to say that when NI/Rangers fans boo Celtic players, it seems to receive greater attention/condemnation than when ROI/Celtic fans boo Rangers players. Oh well, the way of the world.

P.S. Never mind the booing, but although it's not in his nature, I wouldn't be altogether surprised if Stevie Davis gave Petrov a dig or two during the game; nothing to do with Rangers/Celtic, rather the way O'Neill brought in Petrov to replace Davis at Villa, even though Davis had been starring for them and Petrov had a terrible first season in his place.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

red hander

'P.S. Never mind the booing, but although it's not in his nature, I wouldn't be altogether surprised if Stevie Davis gave Petrov a dig or two during the game; nothing to do with Rangers/Celtic, rather the way O'Neill brought in Petrov to replace Davis at Villa, even though Davis had been starring for them and Petrov had a terrible first season in his place.'

Davis had been playing brilliant for Villa and scoring very highly Fantasy Football-wise, but he went off the boil big-style, so it's no wonder O'Neill got rid of him.  Although Fulham played him very regularly - and he's playing in a poor team - he was doing nothing for them, he was a major disappointment, so he's away to Ibrox.  He's a far better player than he's been showing for the past 18 months.

Petrov - an international captain at 19, don't forget -  was a Celtic legend, but he's only now starting to show how good he is at Villa after nearly 2 years.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Chrisowc on February 01, 2008, 06:04:25 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 01, 2008, 08:38:38 AM
On an unrelated topic, I have a couple of questions.

#1. Will the GAWA of OWCers have a special welcome in store for any individuals in the Bulgarian squad on Wednesday?

#2. If yes, who would the individual(s) be and why would they receive such a special welcome?

I can't speak for the GAWA but personally I won't be giving any opposition player a 'special welcome'.  I'm particularly looking forward to seeing Berbatov.  I expect him to show touches of class but he probably won't be too bothered as he doesn't look bothered at the best of times (que a hat-trick).

If the Bulgarian team play good football, which I expect them to do, then I will be applauding them off the pitch.

And that is exactly how I would look at things too.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Solomon Kane

It looks like someone in West Belfast has been reading this thread, particularly Tony's calls for Gerry Armstrong to be some sort of legitimate target ;)

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/Launch.aspx?referral=other&refresh=8y0JgE513b1Y&PBID=b944e2d0-c973-41d7-a624-57c93df6fada

Page 14 if you can be bothered flicking through.

Keep up the good work Tony!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Solomon Kane on February 16, 2008, 02:45:23 PM
It looks like someone in West Belfast has been reading this thread, particularly Tony's calls for Gerry Armstrong to be some sort of legitimate target ;)

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/Launch.aspx?referral=other&refresh=8y0JgE513b1Y&PBID=b944e2d0-c973-41d7-a624-57c93df6fada

Good to see you read the Andytown News Solomon.
Tbc....

Orior

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on February 16, 2008, 07:08:26 PM
Quote from: Solomon Kane on February 16, 2008, 02:45:23 PM

Good to see you read the Andytown News Solomon.

LOL. Must be a lot of work defending the indefencable.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians