Spotlight on BBC 6 Counties tomorrow night

Started by T Fearon, January 28, 2008, 04:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

got it first time ziggy! thought you were barred  ;)

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

heganboy

I watched the Ireland France game in New York and if I remember correctly it was on at the same time as the NI England game. Thierry Henry scored a belter for France, but Healy nailed the English coffin firmly shut, this was the only moment of relief for most of the Ireland fans in attendance.
The fact that England got beat mostly to "fair play to the wee north" style comments and some of my mates (OWC fans) who were there's amusement asking why I didn't transfer my allegiances. I'd say the got the guts of a months grief about it. However the English lads on our 5 a side are still hearing about it, "Healey" seems to be the shout every goal scored.

ps sorry for the attribution of the quote to NIFAN and not EG who it should have been.

And anyone who thinks that TF is in a position to claim he knows what "most nationalists" are thinking deserves to listen to him.
QuoteI , and most nationalists
my hole

quick edit to say that in the new non freedom of speech board I hope "my hole" doesn't constitute a warning offense.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

magickingdom

Quote from: heganboy on January 31, 2008, 07:58:45 PM
quick edit to say that in the new non freedom of speech board I hope "my hole" doesn't constitute a warning offense.

well said, the mods really need to get lost on this board. once upon a time you never heard from them..

Main Street

Quote from: nifan on January 31, 2008, 07:05:09 PM
If you dont see us as rivals thats fair enough, many i know do - there was a dvd released recently about the ROIs "greatest ever victories". What was the featured match? NI vs ROI 4-0. Some people obviously see it as a rival.
It's funny but if I had any doubt you have removed it.
If that was the highlighted match on the Dvd, quite honestly the promotors are not Republic soccer fans.
We in the Republic soccer world have had countless discussions. In the last 20 years only one away win is mentioned - beating Scotland at Hampden 1987. Go on to any discussion board and see what they have mention as great victories  and you would not find that 4-0 mentioned in the top 20 victories.
But you might get the 3-0 Lansdowne rd one in there and the main reason for that is that it was a pressure game, the 3-0 meant certain WC qualifying.

I forgot about all that, we have really tanked you boys in the past, 3-0 4-0

Edit  -  and another 3-0  there someplace.  ;D

Rav67

Quote from: heganboy on January 31, 2008, 07:58:45 PM
I watched the Ireland France game in New York and if I remember correctly it was on at the same time as the NI England game. Thierry Henry scored a belter for France, but Healy nailed the English coffin firmly shut, this was the only moment of relief for most of the Ireland fans in attendance.
The fact that England got beat mostly to "fair play to the wee north" style comments and some of my mates (OWC fans) who were there's amusement asking why I didn't transfer my allegiances. I'd say the got the guts of a months grief about it. However the English lads on our 5 a side are still hearing about it, "Healey" seems to be the shout every goal scored.

ps sorry for the attribution of the quote to NIFAN and not EG who it should have been.

And anyone who thinks that TF is in a position to claim he knows what "most nationalists" are thinking deserves to listen to him.
QuoteI , and most nationalists
my hole

I was watching the Ireland France game in a bar in New York (Behan's) too which was packed full of Irish nationalists, northerners and southerners, and the NI v England result got a big cheer also.

stiffler

I think there were a good few people didnt really give a sh1t about the outcome of the norn iron and england game. The outcome of the game was irrelevant as England qualified for the tournament anyway.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

nifan

Quote from: Main Street on January 31, 2008, 08:40:10 PM
Go on to any discussion board and see what they have mention as great victories  and you would not find that 4-0 mentioned in the top 20 victories.

Funny it has been mentioned on here many times, and it has been mentioned to me by roi fans on numerous occasions.
And i also seem to remember when i used to read foot.ie having it mentioned there

I guess it comes down to your definition of rivals - in the international arena your rivals change from one campaign to the next - perhaps NI isnt one fo the scores you check out, but ive watched the results from away games come in in my ex-adopted home town of drogheda and heard various comments positive and negative from the locals (the nackers from the north side are always worse;))

saffron sam2

On an unrelated topic, I have a couple of questions.

#1. Will the GAWA of OWCers have a special welcome in store for any individuals in the Bulgarian squad on Wednesday?

#2. If yes, who would the individual(s) be and why would they receive such a special welcome?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

nifan

I assume you are asking about petrov, as he played for celtic.
I assume he will get some stick - as will others in the team.
Will he get more than the others? maybe - there are no united or liverpool players but Berbatov might get some as well.

Is it really that much of a problem as long as the stick he receives isnt sectarian?

full back

Quote from: nifan on February 01, 2008, 10:03:54 AM
Is it really that much of a problem as long as the stick he receives isnt sectarian?

Isnt this the reason he will be getting stick in the first place nifan?

saffron sam2

Quote from: nifan on February 01, 2008, 10:03:54 AM
I assume you are asking about petrov, as he played for celtic.
I assume he will get some stick - as will others in the team.
Will he get more than the others? maybe - there are no united or liverpool players but Berbatov might get some as well.

The problem is that it will be perceived as sectarian, because most likely that is exactly what it is. We have in the past seen players with Celtic connections being singled out for special treatment at Windsor Park; we have also seen in the past where owcers have listed myraid reasons why this might be the case. None of those reason ever, ever had anything to do with the players' Celtic connections. I can only see one reason why Petrov (S) would get more stick than Berbatov. I was hoping other posters might be able to list other reasons for me.

nifan

Because there are more rangers fans than arsenal fans in the crowd?

when rangers players have got stick at ROI games before i wouldnt call it "sectarian" necessarily. as with most things of this ilk people have different motivations, some of which may be based in sectarianism others not.

If you believe supporting the old firm is purely sectarian then you could assume that i suppose, as i see man u fans booing liverpool players at games, and everyone booing united players in the past etc.

saffron sam2

Quote from: nifan on February 01, 2008, 10:23:46 AM
Because there are more rangers fans than arsenal fans in the crowd?

Who are Rangers playing?

Quote from: nifan on February 01, 2008, 10:23:46 AM
when rangers players have got stick at ROI games before i wouldnt call it "sectarian" necessarily. as with most things of this ilk people have different motivations, some of which may be based in sectarianism others not.

If you believe supporting the old firm is purely sectarian then you could assume that i suppose, as i see man u fans booing liverpool players at games, and everyone booing united players in the past etc.

I don't believe that supporting the Old Firm is purely sectarian (I would have more than a passing interest in the hoops), but there are those who quite clearly do. Such individuals are found on both sides of the Old Firm. I think that NI fans booing a Celtic player or free state fans booing a Rangers player is not the same as a player from Man U or Arsenal or Spurs or Billingham Synthonia being booed because of their club. There is something more insidious about the former.

nifan

I dont believe i said rangers where playing anyone, similarly celtic were not playing anyone when people booed rangers players at the roi game.
Liverpool werent playing when people gave wayne rooney stick, nor united when riise got a lock of abuse.

NI fans booing a celtic player, or ROI fans booing a rangers player (or more likely rangers fans within the ni support or celtic fans within the roi support) is only more insidius if accompanied by sectarianism.
I find booing any player based on his club loyalties at an international match ridiculous anyway, but it happens all over the world. I dont boo man u players or applaud liverpool players in the opposition. I will boo a man u or liverpool player equally if they dive, kick one of my players etc.

But the fact that something happens the world over is somehow going to dissappear at NI/ROI games is unlikely.