Spotlight on BBC 6 Counties tomorrow night

Started by T Fearon, January 28, 2008, 04:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisowc

Quote from: T Fearon on January 29, 2008, 10:59:51 AM
Moderator, could I ask you to explain what is offensive about the phrase "Do the right thing?". Did Mick Hucknall get banned from Radio 1 for releasing a song with this lyric?

The fact is that no one had any idea what I had in mind by using this phrase, and I did clarify it. The fact that the majority of people seemed to erroneously misinterpret my comment in the worst possible way,is hardly my fault.

Perhaps you mean't he shouldn't be allowed back on the Falls?  Something which you have stated in the past.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

his holiness nb

Quote from: full back on January 29, 2008, 11:14:02 AM
Quote from: Gaaboardmod3 on January 29, 2008, 09:19:36 AM
and new devil, ziggysego, 5Sams and screenexile are now on a warning.

:D  :D
FFS mods, how can these 4 be on the same warning as Fearon?

Sometimes people will try to provoke a reaction from you. Its troublemaking but if you respond it could spiral into a tit for tat merry go round.
This is why the mods have to do this.
Frustrating yes, but I myself have fallen for it also (sureyouwill) and understand why the warnings need to go out.

Its like we are the kids and the mods are bating discipline into us, its working for me. I've been good as gold lately   :)
Ask me holy bollix

Maximus Marillius

Hi All,

I have modified the abusive posts, and new devil, ziggysego, 5Sams and screenexile are now on a warning.

Some craic...5000 posts later and ziggysego is hanging by a thread :D :D

Come ziggy ya tool...take the bait ;) :D

Gaaboardmod3

Quote from: T Fearon on January 29, 2008, 10:59:51 AM
Moderator, could I ask you to explain what is offensive about the phrase "Do the right thing?". Did Mick Hucknall get banned from Radio 1 for releasing a song with this lyric?

The fact is that no one had any idea what I had in mind by using this phrase, and I did clarify it. The fact that the majority of people seemed to erroneously misinterpret my comment in the worst possible way,is hardly my fault.

I concur wholeheartedly with your sentiments in terms of abuse, and have, in my opinion, modified my views considerably in the last 12 months. But I am more sinned against than a sinner, I think.

PS Don't be too hard on 5Sams. Down have just won the Mc Kenna Cup and he has obviously lost the run of himself ;D

Hi Tony, et al.

Your comment was, as I've said before, was at best careless and at word malicious. Either way it's out of order, in the context in which it was used. Incidentaly I would agree that you have been fine with regard to personal abuse etc.

With regard to the other posters ban, yes it was unfortunate, as most of them are perfectly fine normally, and have never given any hassle. Sadly, because the mods cannot be left open to a charge of 'why do you favour certain posters' or 'how come xxx didn't get a warning for the same thing', we have to apply the rules across the board. (no pun intended).

In this case, I'm sure the warnings are meaningless because I don't expect the same posters to repeat the abuse (much like Bud, Hardy and Tony himself). I'm sure this was a one off because of Tony's original post. A yellow card for retaliation if you like.

So I don't think Ziggy is 'hanging by a thread' at all :)

Hope that helps.

Minder

I think any warning/sanction that New Devil receives must be applauded.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

saffron sam2

Hi All,

To everybody who reported posts on this thread sorry for the delay.

Firstly, Tony, I have deleted that comment in your original post. I have also deleted or modified replies to that comment which directly reference it. At best, that comment was very careless and crass. At worst it was malicious and disgusting. This board allows you to post your contentious views with very little interference, barring something totally out of order. If you repeat something like that again, you will be banned.

I would like to refer you to this thread, http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=6273.15, where you can see that Tony was issued with a yellow card. Surely this repeated offence should mean a second yellow, followed by a red.

Or are you Gerry Kinneavy is disguise*?

*Please don't interpret this as personal abuse.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

full back

Quote from: Minder on January 29, 2008, 11:39:12 AM
I think any warning/sanction that New Devil receives must be applauded.

Why is that minder?

Gaaboardmod3

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 29, 2008, 11:53:10 AM
Hi All,

Firstly, Tony, I have deleted that comment in your original post. I have also deleted or modified replies to that comment which directly reference it. At best, that comment was very careless and crass. At worst it was malicious and disgusting. This board allows you to post your contentious views with very little interference, barring something totally out of order. If you repeat something like that again, you will be banned.

I would like to refer you to this thread, http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=6273.15, where you can see that Tony was issued with a yellow card. Surely this repeated offence should mean a second yellow, followed by a red.

Correct saffronsam, Tony did indeed get a warning for personal abuse on that thread. However, the way the warning have been working is if you commit the same offence again, then you get the ban. (It's actually 2 Day, 5 Day, Permanent Ban).

We felt it was a bit harsh to ban someone for breaking a totally different rule while under a warning about something else. It's benefit of the doubt.

Tony now has two warnings, 1 for personal abuse issued a while ago, and 1 for inappropriate content today. Another offence in either of these categories will earn a ban.

nifan

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 29, 2008, 11:03:01 AM
Well what did you mean by "do the right thing" Tony?

You know very well that the way you left if, it did look like something sinister.
And even after the warning you havent clarified what you actaully meant.

he did imply his concern would be more with an attacker than with Gerry :-
"I wouldn't want anyone to get into trouble for causing him harm. He simply is not worth it. "

Apparently he sees the falls as an area where only those of a similar opinion as himself should be allowed to set foot

Main Street

Quote from: Orior on January 29, 2008, 05:58:30 AM
I thought that the debate was about the fact that these lads have a choice, and that riles OWC (the fanclub, not the statelet).
I suppose that it's a bit of both, remember "I regard myself as an Ulsterman".
The fact that the lads have a choice, are now declaring for the Republic, turning their backs on the OWC, riles more than just the fan club.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Gaaboardmod3 on January 29, 2008, 11:59:10 AM
Hi All,

Correct saffronsam, Tony did indeed get a warning for personal abuse on that thread. However, the way the warning have been working is if you commit the same offence again, then you get the ban. (It's actually 2 Day, 5 Day, Permanent Ban).

We felt it was a bit harsh to ban someone for breaking a totally different rule while under a warning about something else.
It's benefit of the doubt.

Tony now has two warnings, 1 for personal abuse issued a while ago, and 1 for inappropriate content today. Another offence in either of these categories will earn a ban.

Can I have a complete list of the different offences - I've got a number of things I'd like to say to and about Fearon and I reckon if I spread them out, I can get most of them in before I'm banned... ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Hardy

As the player fouled on that first occasion, I'm going to do an Oisín and have a word with the ref :
"Go easy on him ref, he's more to be pitied ..", etc.

However I must point out that Fearon's attempt to re-write his original comment is a clear lie. There is no way that hoping that Armstrong is made unwelcome on the Falls is a possible interpretation of the original statement that "somebody should do the right thing". One person would not be enough to make him unwelcome. So perhaps Mr. Fearon could explain what he hoped this "somebody" would do.

T Fearon

I will explain the context of my remark. Just about a year ago, Gerry Armstrong was the feature of a BBC Back to my Roots programme, where he returned to the Falls, chatted with Gerry Adams and agreed with his opinion that the people thereof were unfairly maligned. He also donned his old St John's GAA jersey, visited a few mates from his youth, and all through was the attitude of "this is my culture, these are my people". I recall also he got abuse on OWC after this. I was simply inferring that someone (and it only needs to be one person) should remind him about this programme the next time he visits the Falls and where he came from.

However having played in the same soccer team as his brother for years, I am well aware of the Armstrong family's megolmaniacal tendencies and wont be holding my breath for any sign of humility

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Main Street on January 29, 2008, 12:19:25 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 29, 2008, 05:58:30 AM
I thought that the debate was about the fact that these lads have a choice, and that riles OWC (the fanclub, not the statelet).
I suppose that it's a bit of both, remember "I regard myself as an Ulsterman".
The fact that the lads have a choice, are now declaring for the Republic, turning their backs on the OWC, riles more than just the fan club.
My cousin chose to play for R.O.I U21'S despited numerous attempts by the IFA over the past year to play for them....This is what the programme is about and I will watch with anticipation to see the IFA view about the so called tapping up of players...He has told me that they phoned him 4-5 times in the space of 1 wk before a match last year to try and get him in the squad even though he has already stated that he has chosen and represented ROI u21's....
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Hardy

Quote from: T Fearon on January 29, 2008, 12:52:31 PMI was simply inferring that someone (and it only needs to be one person) should remind him about this programme the next time he visits the Falls and where he came from.

Grand. Nobody believes that's what you meant. The earlier programme is a Bertie-like rabbit out of the hat. Nobody is fooled.