Paddywagon Attacked Again

Started by full back, January 24, 2008, 10:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Kane

Quote from: Pangurban on January 24, 2008, 08:50:10 PM
Does nobody think the corporate name of this tour company PADDYWAGON is racist or demeaning

And just what the tourists want. I thought it was a bit cheesy the first time I saw one of the buses but had a bit of a chuckle about it. It's a bit like The Quiet Man - a load of bollocks not really designed for Irish people but to please Americans looking for their roots.  

Solomon Kane

Quote from: ziggysego on January 24, 2008, 08:53:16 PM
Solomon Kane, he didn't mean the Unionist community. He meant certain elements of the Loyalist community. You can't deny that.

You know me, I don't throw around shit like that unless it's true.

Fair enough Ziggy. I would never deny what loyalist hoodlums get up to, but do you not see how your post could give the impression that it was the Unionist community you were referring to? That was why I was so surprised about what you typed. As for some of the usual suspects..........

ziggysego

Quote from: Solomon Kane on January 24, 2008, 08:57:49 PM
Solomon Kane, he didn't mean the Unionist community. He meant certain elements of the Loyalist community. You can't deny that.

Fair enough Ziggy. I would never deny what loyalist hoodlums get up to, but do you not see how your post could give the impression that it was the Unionist community you were referring to? That was why I was so surprised about what you typed. As for some of the usual suspects..........

I can see why it could have come across like that. For that I apologise, for that wasn't my intention.
Testing Accessibility

Solomon Kane

Quote from: ziggysego on January 24, 2008, 09:00:06 PM
Quote from: Solomon Kane on January 24, 2008, 08:57:49 PM

I can see why it could have come across like that. For that I apologise, for that wasn't my intention.

No bother :)

stew

I agree with pog to an extent, the Unionists are worse but the nationalist community have their fair share of thugs, drug dealers and all round knackers as well.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Donagh

Quote from: Solomon Kane on January 24, 2008, 08:55:03 PM
Does nobody think the corporate name of this tour company PADDYWAGON is racist or demeaning

And just what the tourists want. I thought it was a bit cheesy the first time I saw one of the buses but had a bit of a chuckle about it. It's a bit like The Quiet Man - a load of bollocks not really designed for Irish people but to please Americans looking for their roots. 

Eh? The Quiet Man was made in 1952. I doubt John Ford had the Celtic Tiger generation in mind or OWC for that matter when he made it.

stew

Quote from: Donagh on January 24, 2008, 10:10:00 PM

Eh? The Quiet Man was made in 1952. I doubt John Ford had the Celtic Tiger generation in mind or OWC for that matter when he made it.

No but he had millions of gulliable yanks lining up in the street to watch a fairytale that was a very poor depiction of life in rural ireland at the time and they bought into it hook, line and sinker.

Tis a wee bit like the way they idolise Daniel. Sure they think he is a real Oirishman. :P
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Donagh

Quote from: stew on January 24, 2008, 10:17:32 PM
Quote from: Donagh on January 24, 2008, 10:10:00 PM

No but he had millions of gulliable yanks lining up in the street to watch a fairytale that was a very poor depiction of life in rural ireland at the time and they bought into it hook, line and sinker.

Tis a wee bit like the way they idolise Daniel. Sure they think he is a real Oirishman. :P

Well it's only a movie Stew. Tis not as if "It's a Wonderful Life" is a gritty real life depiction of an Angel 'making his bones'.  ;)

nifan

f**k sake - discussing which side is the real bigots again.
There are bigots on both sides - so comments like "showing which side are the real bigots" are hardly helpful, and is tantamount to denial.

Mr Pink

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 24, 2008, 12:36:01 PM
The good thing to come out of this is that those tourists can see now that unionists  are the real bigots in the north.  To listen to unionists and their version of history you'd think they were victims in the whole thing but keep it up lads, show the world what yous are (if they don't already know).

As nifan says there are bigots on both sides

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/2032339.stm

but to tar the whole community with the same brush is a very bigotted and small minded out look in my opinion.

Donagh

Quote from: Mr Pink on January 25, 2008, 09:56:41 AM

but to tar the whole community with the same brush is a very bigotted and small minded out look in my opinion.

Six years of potential 'whataboutry' incidents to pick and all you can come up with is a bus stoning?  ::)

Must do harding Pinky if you're going to stick it out around here.

Mr Pink

Quote from: Donagh on January 25, 2008, 10:15:57 AM
Quote from: Mr Pink on January 25, 2008, 09:56:41 AM

Six years of potential 'whataboutry' incidents to pick and all you can come up with is a bus stoning?  ::)

Must do harding Pinky if you're going to stick it out around here.

No just mearly pointing out there are bigots and idots on both sides who would do something like attack buses and its not simply a one way street as some would suggest. :-\

Rav67

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 24, 2008, 12:36:01 PM
The good thing to come out of this is that those tourists can see now that unionists  are the real bigots in the north.  To listen to unionists and their version of history you'd think they were victims in the whole thing but keep it up lads, show the world what yous are (if they don't already know).

The vast majority of tourists will just think of all of us as Irish and will not be making religious or political distinctions.  And how is it a good thing that tourists will see anyone being bigots?

his holiness nb

Quote from: Mr Pink on January 25, 2008, 10:41:03 AM
No just mearly pointing out there are bigots and idots on both sides who would do something like attack buses

Well spank my arse and call me Charlie!!

Thanks for the education lesson Mr Pink, I'm sure nobody would have guessed that had you not turned up to set us all straight  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

ziggysego

QuoteYouth hostel tour bus burnt out

A tourist bus has been burnt out in south Belfast.

It was the second attack within two weeks in the area on Dublin tour firm Paddywagon's distinctive green buses.

The bus was parked outside the Paddy's Palace youth hostel on Fitzwilliam Street in the university area. The fire was reported late on Friday evening.

It had been carrying 14 American and Australian tourists on a weekend trip to Belfast and Londonderry. The company said the two attacks cost them £60,000.

Marketing manager Steve McPhelimy said: "We are getting nervous about bringing tourists to Belfast now because we can't afford to take another hit like this."

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7236558.stm
Testing Accessibility