Distinguished Pub Crawls

Started by saffron sam2, January 22, 2008, 08:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on January 25, 2008, 12:28:26 PM
Thats as far as youse got then Pat??

:D
Posted by mistake edited now!

Jim stynes wouldn't hit anyone......Hurricane is a quiet fella......
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Our Nail Loney

Aye with a nickname like the Hurricane he obviously is a quiet enough fella, wouldn't hurt a fly!

If you'd have seen him on a bus back from the Glenavon there a few weeks ago!!

umgolaarmagh

Done the Golden Mile in Belfast when a student a few years back, started of in Kellys with a bowl of stew and a pint of Guinness at 12pm and 17 pubs later ended at the bot. Messy night

Our Nail Loney

typical studets we are we still went home at seven o clock for a carry out! Was a messy day like!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 22, 2008, 08:09:23 PM
First in an occasional series.

1. The Glensman

Starting Point: The Waterfall, Carnlough
Finshing Point: Depending on the time of year, either The House Of McDonnell, Ballycastle or The Slemish, Ballymena.

Time required: Forget the watch.
Calling At: The Mariners, Waterfoot; Johnny Joe's (McCollam's), Cushendall; Mary McBride's, Cushendun:
Then (depending on the time of the year) either
Winter: Head inland to The Glensway, Martinstown and The Slemish or
Summer: head further north to The House Of McDonnell.

Best time of the year: Suitable all year round, but particularly impressive in winter (as the waves lash in over the Coast Road and the bars have massive roaring fires) and summer (when you can skim stones in Cushendun harbour or play hurling up and down the only street).

Other details: This tour is best untaken in a hired minibus, or at least with a desginated driver. It should not be tried on foot.

theres no chance you'll ever get a chance to do that pub crawl (again)

TacadoirArdMhacha

The Paddy's day pub crawl is always a personal favourite

8am mass with Fr Toman in the chaplaincy then hit all the favourite spots - Hat, Dukes, Shaws, Union during the day before dodging around the Holylands looking for a party about 5 or 6 in the afternoon. Back home for a shower and a carryout, pretend to the women that your leaving early to get into the Bot but drink a horse of a carryout then end up in some shitehole at 11pm wishing you'd left earlier and were having a dacent night in the bot.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Mid Mon

QuoteI once did the Golden Mile, from Fagans in Drumcondra to Tom Mayes on Dorset St - but as you can imagine I have no recollection of any of the details.

For Bolton street students the golden mile started in the bodkins and then up the hill.

Tony Baloney

Pint of Guinness in each.

Pat's Bar
Rotterdam
Morning Star
Kitchen Bar (irish stew pit stop)
White's Tavern
O'Neill's
Robinson's
Crown
Beaten Docket
Katy Daly's
Morrison's
Chicago Pizza Pie Factory (this shows how long ago this was!)
<Lavery's (amazingly denied entry for being too blocked!)>
The Empire
QUBSU
<KFC>
The Eg
The Bot (hardly fit to see my hand in front of my face!)

saffron sam2

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 25, 2008, 03:58:49 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 22, 2008, 08:09:23 PM
First in an occasional series.

1. The Glensman

Starting Point: The Waterfall, Carnlough
Finshing Point: Depending on the time of year, either The House Of McDonnell, Ballycastle or The Slemish, Ballymena.

Time required: Forget the watch.
Calling At: The Mariners, Waterfoot; Johnny Joe's (McCollam's), Cushendall; Mary McBride's, Cushendun:
Then (depending on the time of the year) either
Winter: Head inland to The Glensway, Martinstown and The Slemish or
Summer: head further north to The House Of McDonnell.

Best time of the year: Suitable all year round, but particularly impressive in winter (as the waves lash in over the Coast Road and the bars have massive roaring fires) and summer (when you can skim stones in Cushendun harbour or play hurling up and down the only street).

Other details: This tour is best untaken in a hired minibus, or at least with a desginated driver. It should not be tried on foot.

theres no chance you'll ever get a chance to do that pub crawl (again)

Funny you should say that Lynchbhoy, but it is less than a year since I have travelled that exact path. It is the chosen route for the male members of our staff when one of our number is getting married - an unofficial stag do if you like. Four of my colleagues have been seen off in this way and the sight of many of the great educational thinkers of this (or indeed any other) generation skimming stones at Cushendun harbour for the princey sum of 50p a head is particularly memorable.

We thought about going back up there in a fortnight's time to celebrate the promotion of one of our colleagues, but we have decided that Carlingford may be better.

So any chance of a suitable tour from the Whitefort to Carlingford?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

The Claw

A fella told me for his 22nd, he and the lads set out to see how many of the 52 pubs in Dingle they could have a drink in. They started at 10am. He says he got to 32 by the end of the night. Pucking twice as he went along.

Donagh

A few black tacks involved in this one:

St Agnes (Casement Park)
PD Club (Andytown Rd)
Felons Club (Kennedy Way)
The Gravediggers (Falls/Milltown)
The Roddy's (Glen Rd)
The Rock (Falls)
Rossa (Falls)

Cultúrlann for a bite to eat an cuppa tae

Cosgroves (Castle St)
Maddens (Berry St)
The Hercules (Castle St)
Kelly Cellars (Bank St)

And if you can go on

The Front Page
The John Hewitt
Duke of Yorke
The Crown
South Belfast NI Supporters Club

Son_of_Sam

Had a legendry pub crawl down in Skibb in West Cork not so long ago, its was one hell of a night. Can't remember one name of a pub, but 3 of us scored, 1 got in a fight, 1 got lost, 1 got thrown out of the club & don't know where everybody else went. Great town.

Puckoon

Wont be much of a crawl, but tonight Ill be wetting the babys head. First time back out gigging since she was born and ill be calling for pints from the stage all night long. Have a good posse of friends coming out to cheer, some new songs thanks to the pogues and a new G string.

Enjoy the old pub crawl, Ill not list belfast because I get the names wrong, but in omagh we'd start of:

1. The Coach
2. Mc Gurks (often ends there)
3. Dalys
4. Bar Ten
5. Rue
6. Mc Canns
7. Top of the Town
8. Sallys front bar
9. Back down to Rue or Mc Gurks for a couple after hours.
10. Nick a couple of Tyrone Times from the doorway of the shoppe in campsie and read all about the Ulster Final win on the way home.

Leo

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 25, 2008, 10:09:47 PM

We thought about going back up there in a fortnight's time to celebrate the promotion of one of our colleagues, but we have decided that Carlingford may be better.

So any chance of a suitable tour from the Whitefort to Carlingford?

Recommend you go straight past Newry as no decent pubs left there except Madden's in Mill Street - too hard to get parked -  - all the rest have been emasculated with MTV & Sky sports all day every bloody day, disinterested young bar staff, poor service, horrible decor, altogether dull dull dull.
Stop off at Daveys on the border at Omeath, then Howes in Omeath and on to Carlingford. Great job done in what was Larkin's on the corner (now called something else) and worth a visit - then on to PJ's, the daddy of them all. You will not leave here without taking more than one, two or even three. Stay in the old back bar or on a good day out in the yard.
Get your driver to take you out to Whitestown -  Lucy Finegan's - class old pub in middle of nowhere. Up to the Lumpers in Ravensdale for serious craic with a ixture of oul lags and local spivs and across to Murphys in Meigh where youll get the best steak around to soak up the, by now, dozen pints.
On the way home  Newry, Banbridge, Dromore - snooze all the way as nothing worth stopping for.
Fierce tame altogether

An Fear Rua

Quote from: FermGael on January 23, 2008, 11:18:26 AM
The dirty dozen in Didsbury in Manchester.
That was some hangover...

"The Didsbury Dozen", not dirty, and you cant do the proper one anymore as its overrun with crappy chain bars. Saying that its still possible to get very pissed on a pub crawl in dids.
Its Grim up North