Walsh Cup

Started by Lecale2, January 14, 2008, 08:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

Match report from a guy who visits this site occasionally.

Walsh Cup quarter-final: Offaly 4-13 Down 2-11
By Coilin Duffy
25/01/08

Offaly withstood a late comeback by Down in last night's Walsh Cup quarter-final at Darver to ensure a place in the penultimate stage against Wexford.

Faithful boss Joe Dooley handed senior inter-county debuts to four players, including Diarmuid Horan, son of former All-Ireland medallist Padraig.

The Midlanders held a 2-12 to 1-4 interval lead after being assisted with the aid of a strong wind in the opening half.

It was first half goals from Daniel Currams and former Galway minor Francis Kerrigan which did most damage as Offaly dominated for most of the opening 35 minutes.

Down were far from a pushover and good work from Stephen Clarke and first half goalscorer Brendan Ennis ensured they kept in touch.

However, Jim McKernan's side really bounced back strongly in the second half thanks to good work by substitute Kevin McGarry, Clarke and Paddy Coulter, as Offaly were left stunned.

Down managed to hold Offaly to just 2-1 in

the second half, with the second goal of the

half the only score of the final quarter.

A resilient Down attack exerted huge pressure on the Offaly backs who struggled to cope with this renewed energy.

Down burst out of the blocks in the second half and were guilty of three wides inside the first four minutes after the interval, but suddenly settled thanks to a point from substitute Kevin McGarry.

Clarke built on this good work with a pointed free and, although Francis Kerrigan rattled the net for the second time for Offaly in the 47th minute, this failed to rattle a determined Down outfit.

Clarke and Paul Braniff took excellent points before Paddy Coulter cut the gap to seven points with a well-taken goal, after he flicked the ball to the net from a long puckout from Graham Clarke.

Down did manage to cut the gap to five points with 12 minutes remaining but Offaly managed to hold out for victory thanks to a late goal from substitute Joe Brady which sealed the issue.

MATCH STATS

Offaly: D Kilmartin; C Hernon, K Brady,

D Franks; D Horan, J Bergin (0-1, 1f), D Kenny; C Mahon, B Teehan (0-2); S Dooley (0-4, 3f),

G Oakley (0-2), J Gorman; D Currams (1-1),

D Molloy (0-1), F Kerrigan (2-2).

Subs: D Murray for D Molloy (42); J Brady (1-0) for Gorman (54); J Rigney for Teehan (57)

Down: G Clarke; L Clarke, F Conway, P Hughes; S Wilson, C Courtney, G Clarke; A Savage,

C Coulter (0-1, 1f), S Clarke (0-5, 3f),

B McGourty, D Coffey; B Ennis (1-1),

P Braniff (0-1), P Coulter (1-0)

Subs: E Clarke for S Clare (BS 26-28);

K McGarry (0-2) for Coffey (26);

R McGrattan for C Coulter (43);

M Ennis for G Clarke (50);

C Woods for McGarry (54); J Coyle (0-1) for B Ennis (61)

Referee: Frank Devereaux (Kildare).

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Arrived late to the game last night and missed the beginning of the Offaly onslaught although the pleasing aspect for me was the fightback in the second half. I know some people will say there was a gale force breeze, that certainly helped but there was also a gal force breeze in Birr last year in the NHL and we just rolled over in the 2nd half.

Some of the old fight seems to be back in the Down set-up which is good to see, very early days yet but let's hope the fighting spirit is the sign of the things to come for the remainder of the year and we get a good NHL under our belts in preparation for the Christy Ring.

My main concern is that we continue to leak goals, Offaly scored three times in the second half only compared to Down who scored 1-4 (five times when we were against the breeze) but its goals that win games or indeed the ability to stop goals and that is an area Jingo needs to work on with the lads.

Sky Blue

Hardly good conditions for hurling anywhere this month.

When do UCD play Antrim?

johnneycool

Quote from: Pull Hard Hes No Relation on January 25, 2008, 12:20:40 PM

My main concern is that we continue to leak goals, Offaly scored three times in the second half only compared to Down who scored 1-4 (five times when we were against the breeze) but its goals that win games or indeed the ability to stop goals and that is an area Jingo needs to work on with the lads.

I wasn't there to see how the goals were conceeded but in general if your regularily leaking goals its down to a bit of organisation and not just necessarily down to no's 1 to 6. Give them time, I think Finty will do OK at fullback, wee Liam always needs a few games before his stickwork improves but I do think Stiffler is a better defender than Gabs who I'd like to see pushed into midfield where his lack of pace isn't as badly exposed. Gab's aerial ability and better distribution of the ball IMO should see him take cougies place, but I don't know who's putting the effort in at training and jingo may have selected accordingly.
Down have taken bigger tankings with better teams at this time of year, so I wouldn't be overly concerned.

FermPundit

I see Kevin McGarry came on as a sub for Down last night and scored 2 points. I played against Kevin at underage level and he's a very talented hurler. Am I right in saying he has transferred from Lisbellaw to Portaferry?
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Lecale2

Kevin McGarry plays for Portaferry. I saw him in action in the championship and I wasn't impressed. Maybe he just had an off day.

Minder

Any word of the score with the super saffrons?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Intifadah

Offaly leading Wexford 0-8 to 0-5, aertel

Aertel currently have sweet FA on the Antrim game...

podge

Antrim 3-14 UCD 1-16.  well done to a young team.  final in casement I believe

Intifadah

Quote from: podge on January 27, 2008, 02:52:42 PM
Antrim 3-14 UCD 1-16.  well done to a young team.  final in casement I believe

How'd you find out mate?

podge

heard the score from someone at it.  2 goals from paddy magill

Minder

couldnt find the score anywhere
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

tayto

Scores from setanta.com:

Walsh Cup SH semi-finals
Antrim    3-14    UCD    1-16
Offaly    1-12    Wexford    0-11

Good win for Antrim, anyone at it?

clootfromthe21

Quote from: tayto on January 27, 2008, 04:36:20 PM
Scores from setanta.com:

Walsh Cup SH semi-finals
Antrim    3-14    UCD    1-16
Offaly    1-12    Wexford    0-11

Good win for Antrim, anyone at it?

Bit surreal with no fence to keep the small crowd off the pitch and various other games going on around Belfield.

Antrim started very well with a quick goal and a few points. Played with a strong wind in the first half and contrived to miss at least 3 easy goal chances. Antrim defence started well also, but as the half went on began to concede a lot of easy frees which kept UCD in touch. Of course I'm biased, but ref came up with a few strange ones. Certainly Antrim got more and more frustrated with him as the game went on.

Second half UCD had the strong wind and continued to benefit from frees. Big difference was while they didn't miss any in the first half they missed loads. UCD got a goal about 10 minutes in to bring them back to a point or two (no scoreboard so continuous discussion on the side line as to what the actual score was - amazing how lazy and reliant on a scoreboard you get!!). Antrim looked under pressure but two goals in as many minutes sealed the game. The first came from Michael Magill pulling on a breaking ball, the second from a Liam Watson penalty after the goalie had dragged him down to prevent a certain goal. It really is noteworthy how much pace he gets on a ball with no run up whatsoever. After that the game sort of fizzled out.

In terms of performance, McCambridge at full back had his hands full all game. The corners were good (very impressed with Graffin). Half back line of Herron, McKeegan and Elliott did okay. McManus at midfield did well in the first half and for spurts in the second. Thought the forwards were ropey enough -  as I said 3 good goal chances wasted in the first half and lots of ball dropped in on the keeper in the second.

Anyway, onwards and (hopefully) upwards - Offally in Casement next week. Would hope there'll be a good crowd for it.

orangeman

Well done to Antrim again - keep it up lads !