Walsh Cup

Started by Lecale2, January 14, 2008, 08:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Good win for Offaly too. Nice to get back to back victories so close together. I'd say Antrim will be favourites for the final, they seem to be going well this early in the year, but as long as Offaly keep progressing we'll be happy enough.

milltown row

good win alright, good to se magill back playing. 2.2 is a good return. will be hard for him to commit to both hurling and football for the county but i hope he does

as for antrim being favourites. well. i dont believe that. Offaly will be tough. last time we had a game at casement when we were doing well was against Limerick in the league a few years ago and w got destroyed.

the teams may be evenly matched with bot Birr and Dunloy boys getting ready with there up and coming game. but Offaly are a decent team. hope there is a good crowd at Casement to see the final.

will brennan be there to hand over the trophy?

johnneycool

Quote from: milltown row on January 28, 2008, 10:26:44 AM

will brennan be there to hand over the trophy?

No Edwin Poots is doing the formalities, haven't you heard?

Glensman

Poots will miss the first ten minutes when Antrim race into an unassilable lead...

Antrim favourites - I reject that out of hand. It doesn't suit us at all. Its all yours AZ.

Agree about Magill great to see him back. It'll be a tough year for him if he sticks with the both but why not give it a lash.
Also good to hear McKeegan was back in centre half...where he belongs in my opinion if we can get someone to fill the gap he leaves at midfield.

Anyone have the full team line up from yesterday?

imtommygunn

From the irish news - incidentally which is free online now...

Antrim senior hurlers sent out a clear warning to Offaly as they again turned in a magnificent performance in the Walsh Cup yesterday to reach the final after a four-point win over UCD.

From defence to attack, Antrim were again superb, with a goal in each half from Michael Magill the vital scores, although goalkeeper Ryan McGarry was again a hero after his crucial late save secured victory.

Antrim began this game in inspired fashion with the first of Magill's goals coming after just three minutes.

UCD could only manage a point from Michael McGarry within the opening 10 minutes as Antrim raced into a 1-4 to 0-1 lead.

Gradually, the students staged a comeback, but Antrim were always that step ahead and could afford eight wides in the opening half.

UCD kept in touch thanks to the free-taking of Michael McGarry and Wexford's Stephen Nolan, but the Saffrons were a lot stronger and were full value for a 1-10 to 0-10 interval lead.

The Wexford centre-half-back kept the students in touch for prolonged spells in this game and Nolan was their top-marksman with an impressive seven points.

Antrim were equally impressive, with Cushendall pair Michael McCambridge and Karl McKeegan forming a central partnership down the middle, and scooping away a lot of chances for the hosts.

UCD piled on pressure after the restart and Tipperary's Tommy Fitzgerald grabbed a 39th minute goal.

However, they were majorly guilty of missed chances and recorded 10 wides in the second half as Antrim capitalised.

Quick goals from Magill and a Liam Watson penalty strike midway through the half set Antrim on their way to victory.

UCD continued to press, but a superb save from McGarry five-and-a-half minutes from the end after a chance for a second goal fell the way of Tommy Fitzgerald, summed up this game for the losers.

Dominic 'Woody' McKinley believes that these games offer great preparation for his side ahead of the National League and that it's a continual learning process for all concerned.

"It was a good day for ourselves and a whole-hearted performance," said McKinley.

"Again it is a learning process for a lot of our players and you couldn't ask any more of them for this time of the year.

"I think after last week's win over Kilkenny it was important that we got our feet firmly back on the ground and I think today they did.

"The eight players who played well last week didn't play as well today and they will learn from that. That's sport."

Next weekend's decider is a home clash for the Saffrons and McKinley is hoping that a big Antrim support will turn up for the game.

"It's great to have a final in Casement Park," he said.

"People don't realise what this will do for Antrim hurling and having people talking about hurling in January certainly gives us a boost.

"Today will bring it on another step and hopefully a good crowd will come out for that game."

MATCH STATS

Antrim: R McGarry; A Graffin, M McCambridge, S Delargy; C Herron (0-1), K McKeegan, K Elliott; N McManus (0-1), E McCloskey (0-1); S McCrory (0-1), L Watson (1-5, 4f 1-0pen), P McGill (0-2), K Stewart; C Donnelly (0-1), M Magill (2-2). Subs: D Hamill for McCrory (62).

UCD: J Maher; P Ormond, T Brady, B Travers; E O'Shea, S Nolan (0-7, 5f, 1 65), D Fitzgerald; PJ Nolan, J Walsh (0-2); C McBride, N Curran, C King; E power, T Fitzgerald (1-1), M McGarry

(0-6, 4f). Subs: L Ryan for King (55); D Lyng for McBride (55); D Langton for T Fitzgerald (55); C King for O'Shea (inj) (73).

Ref: D O'Donovan (Dublin).

imtommygunn

It's good to see that it's not the same 15 too and that we have ~18 players or so getting game time against decent southern opposition.

tayto

Antrim's form has me slightly worried for the start of the league.

aontroim abu

WalshCup Final now BROUGHT FORWARD TO 1.30PM. Official
Looks lke it'll have to be 9.30 Mass on Sunday morning

tayto

I hear Offaly aren't too chuffed at having to travel up to Casement?

Glensman

It will tighten them.

The rules were there before they played the semi!

Fortress Casement.

AZOffaly

I've heard this alright, but I haven't seen anything official.

Talk about pointless though, as has been mentioned, the draw was known before the semi finals, so if they had a problem, they should have said it then.

But besides that, what the hell is wrong with going up to Casement for a good, tough away game in preparation for the League and Championship. A Walsh Cup will not a good year make, unless it's followed up with a good league and championship campaign anyway.

It sounds like an exercise in penny pinching and is really stupid.

Sky Blue

Typical Biffos!

No interest in promoting hurling anywhere other than offaly!

Colonel Cool

Anyone going to the Walsh Cup final could do worse than go along early for the minor match Ballycran v Gort Na Mona. Good luck Antrim.

A Chara
The Walsh Cup Final,Antrim V Offaly,  is now Scheduled for 1.30pm on Sunday @ Casement Pk,
Therefore the Div 1  Ulster Minor Final,  Ballycran v Gortnamona, will start at 11.45am.

Is Mise
Proinsias O Coinne
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

clootfromthe21

Come on lads, I know its only the Walsh Cup Final but surely some of us have a few views on it!!!!!!

Otherwise I'm actually going to have to apply myself to work and I've had enough of that!

Antrim to win by 5.

Minder

Antrim 6/4 Offaly 4/6 Odds by Eastwoods
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"