Some realism please on the GPA

Started by Armaghtothebone, December 06, 2007, 09:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone86

Quote from: Farrandeelin on December 10, 2007, 03:25:36 PM
Shortage of trained teachers Billy. It seems it must be as bad in the North as it is down here.

Without picking on the bould Paddy but Teachers is one thing there isn't a shortage of in the North.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on December 06, 2007, 09:42:55 PM
(1) Do you believe that top GAA players should be out of pocket for representing their county?

No. I would say that alot of players benefit from playing IC football, socially and monetarily.

(2) Do you object to top administrators in the GAA being paid six figure salaries?

Yes I object, also who is paid that much?

(3) Can the GAA afford to "pay" top players?

No. One look at the state of local soccer or club rugby highlights just how devastating that route will be.

(4) Do you think we should treat our top players less well than the FAI or IFA or IRFU?

Outside of receiving a wage we treat our players every bit as well as the IRFU or FAI/IFA, indeed probably better.

(5) Do our top players train less or give less commitment than an IFA or FAI player?

They train less but are more committed.

If you think its Ok to pay administrators but not players please explain why

Administrators typically work a full 40 hour week. If a player is training 3 hours a night 5 days a week, that is still only 15 hours. Add on another 5 for each day of the weekend and that is 25 hours. I'll also say that those figures are unrealistic as a typically training session is under 2 hours, and a match under 2 hours.

A more realistic figure is 15 hours a week max (2x5 hrs weeknights and 2x2 weekends). Since travel expenses are paid you cannot use that time.
i usse an speelchekor

orangeman

God help us !!!

Do they want to play football or make money ?

Which is it ?

Should club players get paid now as well ?

Captain Scarlet

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 10, 2007, 03:36:10 PM
Quote from: Armaghtothebone on December 06, 2007, 09:42:55 PM

(3) Can the GAA afford to "pay" top players?

No. One look at the state of local soccer or club rugby highlights just how devastating that route will be.

Ah yea sure we'll pay top players and then instead of money going into coaching underage, garnts for club development and such things a few top players will get paid and the club game will erode.
Hello to all Connacht rugby fans here who im sure would be delighted to see the GAA leave a team in the breeze like the IRFU did to them.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

billy the kid

Armaghtothebone are you Mcgeeney or Mc nulty using an alias??? :o :o :o
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

DMarsden

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 10, 2007, 03:36:10 PM
Since travel expenses are paid you cannot use that time.

Point of order mr chairman... not interested in this debate as its irrelevent but on the above point, travel expenses are a vehicle allowance only. fuel and wear & tear. you cannot pay administrators, players or managers for their time and get away with it.

johnneycool

I really don't like this 'top player' title thats been bandied about by some of the pro GPA contributors.

What defines a top player from an ordinary one? Are all county players 'top players' such as the Armagh hurlers as an example already used on this thread or is there an elite within each team or certain teams 'top teams' as opposed to the rest?

This type of division or grading within playing ranks isn't good for anyone and will lead to the downfall of the GPA.

There is a place for a players body within the GAA but to better the treatment they get at training and matchdays not a few bob in the pocket for the 'top players' and nothing for the rest. Someone posted on almost every topic a few weeks back about how well the Derry footballers were treated, fair play to them if what was on the post was true but there are very few teams in both codes treated that well across the country.

As for taking the GAA down the same road as the IRFU/FAI/IFA no thanks, it would be an utter disaster even on a semi professional basis. Most rugby clubs I know who pay their 'top players' are in debt and danger with poor facilities. The top clubs in the IFA and FAI are the same.
When you talk about filling Croke park with 80K remember Croke park could not have been built if we were paying players. We'd still be sitting on the old wooden benches which used to be seats in the Hogan stand and looking around a steel girder.

I know what i prefer

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: DMarsden on December 12, 2007, 11:16:49 AM
Point of order mr chairman... not interested in this debate as its irrelevent but on the above point, travel expenses are a vehicle allowance only. fuel and wear & tear. you cannot pay administrators, players or managers for their time and get away with it.

Does your boss pay you for the time it takes you to drive into and out of work every day?

i usse an speelchekor

DMarsden

That's not my definition brains... its the GAA's

DMarsden

JC - The GAA have elevated Inter county players in an elite status. unofficially we all do this through our expectations of fitness and skill levels, off field behaviour, claims on time and personal life intrusion. officially, is there another grouping within the association subjected to Olympic standard drug testing?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: DMarsden on December 12, 2007, 12:07:35 PM

That's not my definition brains... its the GAA's

The GAA pay expenses - that does not include time. Indeed, mileage expenses for playing football are considerably better than those for traveling to and from work.

Not that I expect you to acknowledge that.
i usse an speelchekor

johnneycool

Quote from: DMarsden on December 12, 2007, 12:17:15 PM
JC - The GAA have elevated Inter county players in an elite status. unofficially we all do this through our expectations of fitness and skill levels, off field behaviour, claims on time and personal life intrusion. officially, is there another grouping within the association subjected to Olympic standard drug testing?

So all inter county players are in an elite status?

So the example bandied about is that an Armagh hurler can expect the same 'grant' as an Armagh footballer.

Is that what the GPA/Irish government proposed?