Ryan Cup Final

Started by corn02, December 04, 2007, 12:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Anyone heading to this tommorrow night? Should be a good game. DCU porbably favourites after beating a strong Poly team. Queens full forward line is very dangerous though and are well capable of getting a few goals. I would imagine Mortimer will be marked pretty closely, he will be surrounded all night.

time ticking away

where is it being played ? and at what time
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

corn02

Silverbridge, unsure of time POG will know.

DMarsden

Who are the stars for DCU this year then?

laoisgaa

I've always been Drici! Game is at 7.30pm in Silverbridge. Division 2 final between IT Carlow and Trinity College is at 2pm in the Curragh tomorrow while the Division 3 final pairs Inchicore College and Mater Dei Institute on Thursday in DCU at 2pm

Northside Dub

DCU's main players would be Mortimer, Dick Clerkin, Kevin Reilly and Shane O'Rourke. They have some other good footballers too!
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

DownFanatic

Ive been to a good few Ryan Cup matches this year. I seen DCU against Jordanstown in the Semis and i have to say they were very impressive. Conor Mortimer is a major danger at full forward while Micky Lyng pulls the strings at Number 11. Shane O'Rourke played at corner forward in that game and looked dangerous. Dick Clerkin and Kevin Reilly manned midfield and Cavan's Ronan Flanagan lined out at wing back. From that team I believe Ciaran Hanratty, Bernard Brogan and Ross McConnell were still to come back from injury.
Queens will get a result in this game if they perform three tasks. 1 - Stop Lyng getting possession, 2 - Keep fouling to a minimum around the dangerzone, Mortimor is lethal at frees and 3 - Win midfield and get the ball in to McComiskey, O'Rourke and Ward ASAP.
From seeing Queens on numerous occasions in the past while, I would be slightly concerned about their full back slot. Luke Howard is a tremendous wingback but I feel he may struggle for height around the house. Apart from that Treanor and Dillon are two very pacey corner backs. Joe O'Kane is rock solid at centre halfback and Justy Crozier and Dean O'Neill are very effective on the wings.
Charlie Vernon is an absolute collossus at midfield and there is no doubt in my mind that him and Paul Courtney can win midfield. Queens half forward line is their weakest sector. They dont score enough. While they see a lot of ball they very rarely convert but I suppose they can get away with this with the talent in their full forward line.
Queens strongest line is 13 to 15. McComiskey scores for fun and I wouldnt bet against him racking up at least 1-03 tomorrow night. O'Rourke drops deep but still kicks on average three points a game while I see Ward as an unmarkable entity who has great knack of getting goals.
Overall, DCU may be the better balanced but if Queens can win the ball around the middle then they can definitely win it.

Old Bill

Great summary DF.  Think this game could be a step too far for the malone men althoough Queens have a great team spirit and could grind out the win.

Against the Breeze

As like DF I have seen a few Ryan Cup games this year and with the exception of Jtown, the two best teams are in the final.  It will be intersting to see how these two teams will combat each other.  Against Jordanstown, DCU pulled them all over Silverbridge and made the "elite" Jordanstown look very very ordinary, all be it they were missing players.  I thought Lyng dictated the pace DCU played and drifted around the park at this will.  Jtown gave Mortimor the freedom of the bridge feel with long balls coming in from Clerkin, O'Reilly and Co round the middle, they punished Jordanstown at every opportunity they had.  One problem I would see with the DCU would be their defence.  They let James McGovern win too much ball and he had enough ball to do damage.  If they give the Queens forwards, particularly their full-forward line this much space, they will do damage and will take their chances.

Queens stumbled their way through their group and showed a glimmer of what they were about against UCD and from what i hear, in the second half against the Garda.  They have a very strong middle core who if they win enough ball and supply it properly to the right men, can hurt teams.  Looking forward to seeing Vernon and Courtney up against Clerkin and O'Reilly,  whoever wins that tussle will go onto win the game. 

Looking at it, DCU must start as favourites but you'd be foolish to write off Queens and this is an ideal way to spend your Wednesday night with a mouth-watering clash in prospect.  Lets hope it lives up to expectations!

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Hoping to head over tomorrow night with the kids. Big occasion for Silverbridge. I bet there'll be a big turnout

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

THE MIGHTY QUINN

redcard

DCU thump Queen's in Ryan final 

Micheal Lyng hit DCU's goal 10 minutes from time

DCU scored a 1-14 to 1-4 Ryan Cup final win over Queen's on Wednesday night with a superb display that will install them as Sigerson Cup favourites.
Michael Lyng capped a classy display with a spectacular goal 10 minutes from time while skipper Conor Mortimer helped himself to four class scores.

Paul McComiskey hit all of QUB's scores while their opponents had nine different men on the scoresheet.

DCU lead 0-7 to 1-2 at half-time despite having played against the wind.

A fluid running game, with men in support and plentiful options, saw DCU quickly establish the advantage, and they were four points ahead by the end of the opening quarter.

The Dublin side dazzled at times, playing controlled football into the wind, and picking off spectacular scores when the Silverbridge breeze was at their backs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7129943.stm

darbyo

Where are Ward and McComiskey from?