Ryan Cup Final

Started by corn02, December 04, 2007, 12:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

McComiskey's from Down anyway.

Disappointed witht he result but that surprised to be honest. Was only at 1 QUB ryan cup match but the crayola sponsored men looked to have a lot more quality on the night

DCU or Poly for the sigerson probably.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

darbyo

Is he a Down senior?, I think CIT might have a say in this years Sigerson. Who are the seeded teams for next weeks draw, is it the semi finalists from the league?

corn02

McComiskey is a Dundrum man.

Just back from the match. DCU were excellentt from start to finish. Physically strong, smart in their passing and a tally of only two or three wides despite a swirling wind. Lyng was Man of the Match. He linked up attack and defence superbly and took some lovely scores. His goal was a soccer style cracker.

Queens distribution from defence was a disaster. I felt sorry for the service starved full forward line. When Queens did break out the final ball usually went straight to a DCU man.

corn02

Queens and DCU are defiently seeded anyway.

ExiledGael

Who have CIT to call on this year? On paper UUJ look to have a brilliant team, but what does that matter on the weekend.

Great to see Lyng back to something near his best after a terrible cursed few years with injury. Brilliant playmaker, one of the best in the country on his day in that role.

darbyo

Is Comiskey that silp of a lad who came on in the second half, looked very lively and skillful? CIT have Goulding and another Cork U21 (name escapes me) in the full forward line, both very classy, I think Darren O'Sullivan is still there also. 

tyrone86

That's Comiskey alright Darby. Ward's a Tyrone man, never played underage for the county, plays soccer for Glentoran, was on the books at Leeds for a while.

darbyo

Is Ward senior county standard or is he a lad who will just play a bit of ball in Uni before concentrating on soccer?

BallyhaiseMan

good to see Mickey Lyng on form again. That DCU team will be hard stopped for the Sigerson Cup this year.

Off-Topic
With all the talk of player burnout,is it not these competitions that should be done away with.

INDIANA

when you've a direct entry into courses for elite gaelic footballers it's very easy to have the best team every year. I 'd say they'll win about 5 in the next 7 years at sigerson level such is the depth oft talent. The second best team is the DCU Reserves that's the reality. They wil absolutely walk the sigerson this year.

darbyo

I don't think you are giving some of the other colleges their dues. Last year DCU looked extremely strong yet they didn't even make the weekend.

orangeman

Ward is  very good footballer - but seems inclined towards soccer.

Queens got a right pasting - DCU must be some side !

orangeman

DCU would have to be big favourites for outright Sigerson glory ?

INDIANA

don't think you are giving some of the other colleges their dues. Last year DCU looked extremely strong yet they didn't even make the weekend.

Thought they had a good side but no more that that. Different this year- they are winning the freshers all ireland every other year-they have literally cornered the market for most of the top minors in the country. This year's team is near unbeatbale and their reserves would at least make the last 4 in my view. Just look at their scholarship list this year you'd have to try to lose with that sort of company.

Ronan Flanagan, Sean Johnston, Michael Lyng, Dermot Sheridan, Brian Coleman, Barry Watters and Ray Cullivan (Cavan), Declan Walsh and Marlin Mc Elhinny (Donegal), Michael Savage, Phillip Brogan, Paddy Andrews, Kevin Leahy, Chris Guckin and Kevin Nolan (Dublin), Greg Rogan and David Reilly (Galway), Max Bradley (Kildare), Craig Rodgers, Conor Merdith, Brian Smith, Colm Munnelly and Simon Shorthall (Laois), Denis McGoldrick and Pauric Gill (Longford), Paddy Keenan (Louth), Conor Mortimer and Alan Joyce (Mayo), Brian O'Reilly, Kevin Reilly, Shane O'Rourke, Padraig Howard, Brian Sheridan, Alan Nestor, Shane Carr, Rory McGuire and David Donegan (All Meath), Darrach Mooney, Dick Clerkin, Ciaran Hanratty, Shane Smith, Kieran Hughes, Danial McNally, Mark McDevitt, Neil McAdam, Brian McArdle, Mark McNally, Martin McElroy and Darren Bishop (All Monaghan), William Mullhal (Offaly), David Keenan, Cathal Cregg, Stephen Ormsby and Niall Carthy (Roscommon), Brendan Egan and David Kelly (Sligo), Shane Roche (Wexford) and Ciaran Walsh and Paddy Byrne (Wicklow).

darbyo

Don't they have that Laois lad who played mid-field for the minors and center back for the U21's? I can't think of his name but the Laois names on that list don't ring a bell, he is some footballer though.
                In fairness while that list is impressive, outside of Laois the most successful counties at minor and U21 these past few years are not massively represented. Cork, Kerry, Galway, Tyrone, Armagh, Derry, Mayo, Down or Roscommon don't have many representitives. So if 1 or 2 other colleges have secured the services of a number of these lads they could be formidable. But you are right DCU are and will continue to be, a powerhouse of University football.