When did you last see a Doctor

Started by Zapatista, December 04, 2007, 10:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

My girlfriend was complaining to me about never going to see a Dr. "it's such a man thing" she would say.(I hadn't been in about 10 years) and my arguement was, "I don't need to see a Dr. I'm not sick". So I decided to go to shut her up.

The Doc said I was in great condition and was actually surprised to hear I am a smoker. I have good blood pressure, good lungs, good heart and am the perfect weight for my height. This didn't convince the girlfriend tho. Now she wants me to do cancer checks and all other sorts of crap. I refused.

Is this a man thing? As many of you play our great sports i'd say you need to see a Dr. often but the rest of ye? Am I wrong to not go for more check ups?

Gnevin

Quote from: Zapatista on December 04, 2007, 10:50:17 AM
My girlfriend was complaining to me about never going to see a Dr. "it's such a man thing" she would say.(I hadn't been in about 10 years) and my arguement was, "I don't need to see a Dr. I'm not sick". So I decided to go to shut her up.

The Doc said I was in great condition and was actually surprised to hear I am a smoker. I have good blood pressure, good lungs, good heart and am the perfect weight for my height. This didn't convince the girlfriend tho. Now she wants me to do cancer checks and all other sorts of crap. I refused.

Is this a man thing? As many of you play our great sports i'd say you need to see a Dr. often but the rest of ye? Am I wrong to not go for more check ups?

If your lying in a wooden box will you consider yourself right?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

his holiness nb

When sick I tend to sit it out without medicines for as long as I can.

Last time was last spring with a fantastic broken arm / wrist combination :)
Ask me holy bollix

Zapatista

I'd say i won't have an opinion in that case.

Are you saying I should do it? Have you done it?

muppet

Quote from: Zapatista on December 04, 2007, 10:50:17 AM

Its not a man thing, its a chick thing. She has probably spiked something you ate or drank and can't figure out why it didn't work.
MWWSI 2017

amallon

:D :D  Good one muppet.

I take it there is such a thing as a general check up you can ask your doctor to perform?  What about cancer screening, is this something you can phone up your GP and make an appointment for?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

gerrykeegan

Depends on age. I have a full physical every two years. Young lad I worked with died of the big C at 27, it shook the shit out of me. Another friend his misses forced him to have a full physical, the found the big C but in time and he is fine.
Its something I would recommend, gives you peace of mind. They cost about 500 down the south, but you can claim part of it back as part of your MEd 1.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Zapatista

You think Muppet? Now I'm scared. Why wouldn't it work?

Amalon - I have no idea.

amallon

Cheers Gerry - That was €500 well spent in your case.  I take it you have to go private for something like that?  How long does it take?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

behind the wire

certainly go get it done, it'll do no harm.

by the way was sent down to that private hospital in belfast by the club. its a different world down there. its like a hotel not a hospital. saw a couple of intercounty players when i was there - and they say they arent well looked after!!
MY MEDICAL ADVICE: if you ever happen to dislocate a finger playing football dont put it back in yourself unless you are a doctor.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

gerrykeegan

Aidan

The whole thing takes about three hours (max), I went to the blackrock clinic but i know some of the other new private hospitals are doing the same.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

deiseach

When the symptoms of Guillain-Barré syndrome first presented themselves - double vision - I initially concealed it from everyone because I wanted to go to the drawn Waterford-Cork match in Croke Park. It was quite a pleasant way of watching the game, the sensory deprivation took the edge off the trauma, I mean drama. Anyway, I admitted I wasn't well the next day to my wife and went into the opticians who promptly sent me to A&E. The doctors there wanted me to have an MRI and offered me a choice: either leave and get it as an outpatient in about three weeks, or be checked in as a patient and have it done in the morning. I honestly would have taken the former option had it not been for the thought of my wife giving me a bollocking for endangering my health when I met her back in the corridor. It didn't 'save my life' but I dread to think where I would have been had the major symptoms - total exhaustion - presented themselves outside of the the hospital.

On the basis of my story, I would say it is a woman thing. Thank Christ for women!

supersarsfields

Interesting. there's a guy at our club been putting dislocated fingers back for years now. Have to say I don't ever remember him messing one up. Had to get him to do a couple of mine and they've always worked out well enough!

Just a pity he wasn't so hot with the shoulders!!  :(

Shortso79

The woman goes to the Doctor once a month

Women go without any hesitation - while men play the waiting game - "sure i'll give it till next week"

I'm actually going to see my doctor tomorrow for the first time in years.

I'd say my file has an inch of dust on it ....

Zapatista

Quote from: Shortso79 on December 04, 2007, 01:27:16 PM
The woman goes to the Doctor once a month

Women go without any hesitation - while men play the waiting game - "sure i'll give it till next week"

I'm actually going to see my doctor tomorrow for the first time in years.

I'd say my file has an inch of dust on it ....

I hope all goes well Shortso.

If your file is like that I advice you go to a different Dr.