When did you last see a Doctor

Started by Zapatista, December 04, 2007, 10:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanSouth

Late time i went was about a year ago, had to go as i was involved in a serious automobile accident, (coughs), no doctor, no claim.........  ;D

amallon

I got the following brochure from Blackrock.  Its the text copied from a PDF but if anyone wants the pdf forwarded let me know.

Irish Health Care's programmes are very comprehensive.
Our tailor made packages are designed to meet the requirements
of your age group and your susceptibility to certain
diseases or conditions depending on your time of life.

Our Standard program includes:

Height & Weight
Blood Pressure
Urinalysis
Haemoccult Test (stool test for occult blood)
Lung Function Test
Chest X-Ray
Vision Tests (close & distance vision, colour blindness and peripheral
field vision)
Tonemetry (for detecting glaucoma)
Audiometry (Hearing Test)
Resting ECG
Full Blood Bio-chemistry (liver function tests, renal & bone profile,
lipid profile, glucose & uric acid levels)
Full blood count, ESR & differential
Serum Ferritin (for haemochromatosis)
PSA for men > 45
Thyroid Test for men & women > 40
Dexa scan (for osteoporosis)
Lifestyle assessment and advice

Full Physical Examination
Including:
• Cardiac • Respiratory • Abdominal
• Musculo- skeletal • Skin
• Women - Breast palpation • Men- Prostatic digital examination

Detailed Medical Report
All inclusive price €500.00
(group rate €475.00)
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

stpauls

last time i was at the doctor, and it was the first time i had been since childhood, i was getting headaches too regularly over the period of a week, and these weren't the normal kind of headaches i would get, so took myself off to the doctor. when the doctor checked me out, he was worried as the pains i were getting were symptomatic of a brain haemorrhage (sp), so he sent me to A&E. there, the first thing they did was a MRI, but could see nothing, but as it sometimes misses things, they decided to keep me in for a few days, and give me a lumber puncture!! the fecking thing knocked me off my feet for about 2 and a half weeks, couldn't left my head from the pillow without feeling dizzy and nauseated, but once i got over that, i was fine, no more headaches, but it will be a long time before i go back to the doctor's after that!!

FL/MAYO

I go once a year as it is a job requirement. Once you reach your forties it is probably a wise thing to go at least once every 2 years. Get your cholesterol checked and the auld prostate (you will hate this one..most of you any way).
Men are always procrastinators when it comes to their health and seeing doctors. The amount of men I have met that have chest pains for days but will not call for help until they are just about to have the big one is unreal.
One bit of advise I would give is to make sure that you get a good referral for a doctor, the amount of useless doctors out there is just terrable, like every other profession some doctors just do not have a clue.  

deiseach

Jaysus, lumbar punctures. The doctors were extremely forthright in their belief that they are a) risky, never nice to be poking around the spinal column, and b) very painful. It didn't strike me as being so bad, the foetal position you have to adopt was worse than the jab. No big deal.

And then the headaches.

It was just as well I couldn't move much because any move felt like the worst dose of seasickness. But I was so agitated during the Waterford-Cork replay that I couldn't stop fidgeting and I was completely mashed for three days afterwards. If it has to happen again, I'm going to ask to be strapped down afterwards.

Great Leap Forward

I went to see him last year when I got a bad chest by sitting under the air-conditioning at work. Once he starting writing a note to my boss I thought I was getting a line for a couple of weeks just as the World Cup was starting.

Unfortunately he was telling me boss I would benefit from moving desks!

stpauls

Quote from: deiseach on December 04, 2007, 02:16:55 PM
Jaysus, lumbar punctures. The doctors were extremely forthright in their belief that they are a) risky, never nice to be poking around the spinal column, and b) very painful. It didn't strike me as being so bad, the foetal position you have to adopt was worse than the jab. No big deal.

And then the headaches.

It was just as well I couldn't move much because any move felt like the worst dose of seasickness. But I was so agitated during the Waterford-Cork replay that I couldn't stop fidgeting and I was completely mashed for three days afterwards. If it has to happen again, I'm going to ask to be strapped down afterwards.

the actual jab was grand, but i was lying over a chair while sat on the hospital bed, but i could feel the needle going in and it was wierd, no pain due to anesthetic, but strange all the same. the next 2-3 weeks were hell i have to admit!

amallon

Will your GP in the north do something similar to what Blackrock are charging €500 for?

Puckoon

I get picked at regularly by the soon to be MD Mrs Puck. I hate to go to the Drs though, and I know its stupid. I ignored breathlessness and a constant feeling of being oxygen hungry for about 3 months, before I took a huge asthma attack and was forced onto inhalers and steriods. Ive now been informed I have a huge cyst at the bottom of my back, and I need to get my arse in gear and get it removed. Yet im procrastinating again.

Zapatista

Quote from: amallon on December 04, 2007, 02:57:34 PM
Will your GP in the north do something similar to what Blackrock are charging €500 for?

Can you send me the PDF? I'm in the northside but would like a look at what's on offer.

You all have nearly convinced me to go get the whole lot checked out.

amallon

gerrykeegan

Zabista

The Mater private do exactly the same thing for the same money
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

ziggysego

Haven't been for a while. Never had a complete check up. Perhaps it is something I should look into, as I keep getting pains now and again, plus dizzy spells and what-not. Best to get it checked out, than leave it too late.
Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

Funny this should be brought up, I've to get bloods done fairly regular which isnt too bad but the last time I was in I was forced into making an appointment for a full check up, it was suppose to be friday but unfortunately I'd to cancel!

No one is sticking fingers up my arse!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 04, 2007, 06:29:21 PM
Funny this should be brought up, I've to get bloods done fairly regular which isnt too bad but the last time I was in I was forced into making an appointment for a full check up, it was suppose to be friday but unfortunately I'd to cancel!

No one is sticking fingers up my arse!
Good luck with that prostate cancer then
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.