Ladies call for equal rights

Started by AbbeySider, December 03, 2007, 11:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

I had a feeling this one was coming...

Staunton calls for equal rights
01 December 2007

Mayo ladies football star Cora Staunton has joined camogie president Liz Howard in calling for a grants scheme to be set up for female GAA players in the wake of the historic deal secured by their male counterparts.

Staunton, who inspired her club Carnacon to All-Ireland glory last weekend, said: "We put in every bit as much effort, sacrifice and time as the men.

"In fact, this year the Mayo ladies football team were involved training later in the summer for the All-Ireland championship than the Mayo men's team were. So I feel that there should be no discrimination, and that equality should prevail between both men and women.

"I think the Ladies Football Association should make the first move in this regard, and obviously the Government and the National Sports Council would also be involved in the discussions on the issue.

"I know that ladies football matches don't generate anything like the level of gate receipts that men's matches do. But I don't feel that should be a stumbling block, as the Government provided the funding for the setting up of the men's deal.

"Of course, as well as ladies football, the camogie players should also benefit from any new arrangement."

It might be a bit much to say that the ladies "put in every bit as much effort, sacrifice and time as the men", however in the interest of equality and fairness, should Ladies GAA get a slice or perhaps their own grants from the government ??

DMarsden

The argument that the GPA successfully presented to the government was in line with their contribution to the national games and all that that entails. the government agreed to provide funding to assist with the time and preparation that goes into producing the marvellous spectacle that is gaelic games as it was the only aspect of our association the don't already do so for. i have no doubt that the ladies, handballers, camogs, etc could all successfully make the same argument.

cavan4ever

Do u think they will go on strike if they don't get what they want ? 

:D :D :D :D :D

DMarsden

The precedent is there now for the ladies. The strike threat was over the GAA's refusal to do the admin work, which they have now agreed to so the ladies won't have any difficulty there. they justneed to convince the government.

Bensars

But the Gaelic Players Association wants nothing to do it. Anyway if they were all to come under the umbrella of the GPA,  it would there would be even less money.

Some of these Guys are out 100,000 Euro over the course of their career, if the grant was reduced even further they would have to keep playing until they were 65 !

The Gaelic Players Association , thats a laugh, unfortunatley there is no trading standards to remove the name.

saffron sam2

I knew this would happen as soon as we let them out of the kitchen. Has she no ironing to do?

And no, she doesn't have a point.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Bensars on December 03, 2007, 12:04:17 PM
But the Gaelic Players Association wants nothing to do it. Anyway if they were all to come under the umbrella of the GPA,  it would there would be even less money.

Some of these Guys are out 100,000 Euro over the course of their career, if the grant was reduced even further they would have to keep playing until they were 65 !

The Gaelic Players Association , thats a laugh, unfortunatley there is no trading standards to remove the name.

The Ladies GAA is a seperate organisation - so they should have their own union...

his holiness nb

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on December 04, 2007, 09:37:11 AM
The Ladies GAA is a seperate organisation - so they should have their own union...

Surely not? Siptu dont just accept members from one organisation. Why should the one union with this sort of "expertise" not deal with the women?

Quick question, is the GPA closed totally to female GAA members?
Ask me holy bollix

AbbeySider

Quote from: cavan4ever on December 03, 2007, 11:54:02 AM
Do u think they will go on strike if they don't get what they want ? 

:D :D :D :D :D

I dont know how effective a strike would be.
Its a tough one to call. Should the government provide funds separately for the ladies GAA or should the GPA split the funds?
Is it right that he GPA swallowed all the money without a thought for Ladies camogie and football?

Bensars

I hope you are not suggesting that they are greedy ! ::)

SeanSouth

Are there not certain conditions player have to meet as part of the GPA deal, ie fitness levels.......Could the female players stick to these? Have you ever seen the shape of some of them?

Maguire01

Before, i start, this is a question to debate - NOT an opinion!

You can argue that the women's teams train/put in just as much effort as the men's teams (i don't know - i can't comment) ........ but do they contribute to the national game to the same degree as their male counterparts? There's definitely not too many going out to watch them play. As 'contribution to the national games' was clearly part of the argument for the men, is the contribution of the women significant/important enough to justify them getting a slice of the cake too?

hmmm

Quote from: SeanSouth on December 04, 2007, 01:09:06 PM
Are there not certain conditions player have to meet as part of the GPA deal, ie fitness levels.......Could the female players stick to these? Have you ever seen the shape of some of them?

You're talking through your hole now. You have no idea of the fitness levels of a senior female player do you?

SeanSouth

Quote from: hmmm on December 04, 2007, 01:22:28 PM
Quote from: SeanSouth on December 04, 2007, 01:09:06 PM

You're talking through your hole now. You have no idea of the fitness levels of a senior female player do you?

I am not, im talking through my mouth, take my word for it. I have a fair idea what their fitness levels would be by watching them play matches.

thewobbler

I hate wimmen's football more than anyone I know, but I fully agree with them here. I don't see how the government can reward one set of amateur athletes at the top of their chosen sport, while ignoring the claims of an identical groups.