Meeting of Grassroots to Discuss our Strategy re GPA

Started by Seany, November 30, 2007, 11:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bensars

Quote from: DMarsden on December 01, 2007, 03:55:57 PM

Its boring answering this question.

time away from work
time away from family
loss of time used up for the GAA which others use productively (how much an hour do you rate your time at?)
expense of dietry requirements
blah blah blah.

The usual riposte is don't do it but the next fleet of players will only be in a wet week when they look for the same. why turn down non GAA money to put a little towards the work that goes into what you see on the telly in july or august?

In response to all of these,

time away from work
time away from family
loss of time used up for the GAA which others use productively (how much an hour do you rate your time at?)
expense of dietry requirements
blah blah blah.

Now imagine your a Dromore Player, Crossmaglen player, St Galls Player , and repested up and down the land.

Rehydration allowance was quoted by E Mc Nulty...........................FFS ;D ;D ;D   Turn the tap on !

Bensars

Not only that, yous got that greedy yous lost sight of the ladies and the camogs

QuoteMayo ladies football star Cora Staunton has joined camogie president Liz Howard in calling for a grants scheme to be set up for female GAA players in the wake of the historic deal secured by their male counterparts.

Staunton, who inspired her club Carnacon to All-Ireland glory last weekend, said: "We put in every bit as much effort, sacrifice and time as the men.

"In fact, this year the Mayo ladies football team were involved training later in the summer for the All-Ireland championship than the Mayo men's team were. So I feel that there should be no discrimination, and that equality should prevail between both men and women.

"I think the Ladies Football Association should make the first move in this regard, and obviously the Government and the National Sports Council would also be involved in the discussions on the issue.

"I know that ladies football matches don't generate anything like the level of gate receipts that men's matches do. But I don't feel that should be a stumbling block, as the Government provided the funding for the setting up of the men's deal.

"Of course, as well as ladies football, the camogie players should also benefit from any new arrangement."

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Bensars

Seany

I can assure you, folks.  Be under no illusion.  This deal is a wolf in wolf's clothing.  The GAA depend on voluntary imput from a much broader range of expertise than the man who sweeps out the changing rooms and the woman who makes the sandwiches and the under 10 manager.  Our medical committee is made up of GPs who give of their valuable time free of charge and none of them charge for their services to counties.  This might change now.  The DRA is made up of a team of QCs, barristers, lawyers, solicitors and again 27 hearings this year and all that work done free of charge.

We're fucked.  I tell you.

pintsofguinness

Quoteare you referring to a legal challenge pints?
Well I was really refering to the calls for the Ladies (and who'd blame them) to get the same treatment as was widely predicted months ago.  You'd imagine they'd have a legal argument also.  Could we have calls from clubs in the final stages of the All Ireland Club championships for the same?

pintsofguinness

DMarsden

Assuming the girls can demonstrate the same time effort commitment to furthering our national games, which in most cases they certainly can, then they should be eligible for government sponsorship too.

DMarsden

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 01, 2007, 04:19:09 PM
What arguments against are immature dmarsden?

I do this that and the other for the GAA, were's my grant?
Noone forces them to play
Its a privelege to play for your county
Intercounty player grants is the first step on a slippery slope to nuclear proliferation (despite it being minuted at the GPA EGM that the playing body doe not want pay for play and does not believe the GAA could sustain it

pintsofguinness

QuoteI do this that and the other for the GAA, were's my grant?
Noone forces them to play
Its a privelege to play for your county
These arguments are immature how?  Because you've no answer for them?

QuoteIntercounty player grants is the first step on a slippery slope to nuclear proliferation (despite it being minuted at the GPA EGM that the playing body doe not want pay for play and does not believe the GAA could sustain it
Why then was one of their leading members talking about it as being a "start"?

pintsofguinness

QuoteBig deal, I've been similarly engaged all afternoon and I'm 100% behind the GPA on the grants issue, and I hope the women get similar recognition too.
And why should a handful of players get handed a couple of thousand over everyone else benny?

bennydorano

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 01, 2007, 04:30:38 PM
QuoteBig deal, I've been similarly engaged all afternoon and I'm 100% behind the GPA on the grants issue, and I hope the women get similar recognition too.
And why should a handful of players get handed a couple of thousand over everyone else benny?

Why should they not? The money is available through the grants scheme, they've made their case, they've asked for the money, they've got it, good luck to them.

The fact that the money is not coming from the pockets of the GAA and the principle of Amatuerism has been enshrined in the agreement is being blindly ignored as far as I can gather and people are just voicing their worst fears and representing it as inevitable(fact).

pintsofguinness

Quote from: bennydorano on December 01, 2007, 04:48:52 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 01, 2007, 04:30:38 PM

Why should they not? The money is available through the grants scheme, they've made their case, they've asked for the money, they've got it, good luck to them.

The fact that the money is not coming from the pockets of the GAA and the principle of Amatuerism has been enshrined in the agreement is being blindly ignored as far as I can gather and people are just voicing their worst fears and representing it as inevitable(fact).
The money may not be coming from the GAA's pocket but they are the ones handing out the cheques.  It doesn't matter how you dress it up it has created an elite and is pay for play and is saying that a handful of people in our organisation is better and more valuable than everyone else and that's not what the GAA is about. 
Those are the reasons why not, you tell me why they should get the money over everyone else. 

Bogball XV

Quote from: bennydorano on December 01, 2007, 04:48:52 PM
I'm not that bothered either way about this, however people keep on about how this money should be gratefully accepted since it's not gaa money, personally, I'd rather the money came directly from the gaa rather than be funds diverted from some more needy expenditure, as we all know there are plenty of problems down here in the free state re health, education, lack of infrastructure.....  I'd say any of these area's would be damned glad of the 5 million.

darbyo

QuoteI'm not that bothered either way about this, however people keep on about how this money should be gratefully accepted since it's not gaa money, personally, I'd rather the money came directly from the gaa rather than be funds diverted from some more needy expenditure, as we all know there are plenty of problems down here in the free state re health, education, lack of infrastructure.....  I'd say any of these area's would be damned glad of the 5 million.

Brian O'Driscoll will get a nice tax rebate from the govt. once his playing days are over. By that stage he'll be a multi millionaire with a guaranteed future as a TV rugby pundit. I don't think GAA players need to feel guilty over this grant. The GAA makes millions for this country and the IC player plays an important role in this. Where lads are getting the notion that this is the end of the GAA is byond me.