Meeting of Grassroots to Discuss our Strategy re GPA

Started by Seany, November 30, 2007, 11:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on December 24, 2007, 02:57:48 PM
when is this going to be decided?

Who knows.

There will undoubtedly be appeals of some sort from the losing side after the first decision is reached, so it really is up in the air.
i usse an speelchekor

pintsofguinness

I'm afraid the evidence to date is that it is very much the usual suspects from the usual Counties who are usually against any change of any sort.

You wish.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: tram on December 23, 2007, 09:19:42 PM
QuoteTyrone ace to walk away from GPA

Double All-Ireland winning Tyrone defender Philip Jordan has said it is unlikely he will remain a member of the Gaelic Players Association as he is unhappy over its call for strike action and the move towards grants.

Jordan is one of the first high profile intercounty players to come out heavily against the GPA following a growing disquiet amongst grassroots club people at the introduction of grants for intercounty players.

The wing back is currently a member of the players' body but says he is unlikely to renew his subscription in 2008 as he is unhappy with the direction that the organisation is moving.

"The whole threat of strike action has me turned against the GPA. The leadership of the GPA said they had a lot of support from the grassroots to go on strike, but it wasn't these people I listened to," revealed Jordan.

"I think there was no public support for strike action. They should have let it come to a strike because that would have been the death of the GPA.

"Personally, I voted against strike action and I am not in favour of grants. I would have played anyway."

Jordan feels that the grants could lead to further payment to players which could lead to the end of the amateur status of the GAA.

"My personal opinion is that what makes the GAA so great is the fact that you have to sacrifice so much to play football matches.

"I would never like to see that change and I think the grants could be the start of something bigger.

"I probably won't become a member of the GPA for the New Year now. The things they should have been focusing on have been forgotten about," Jordan told the News of the World.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=87262

Read last week in the IDMoS that if he is receipt of a "grant" he will give it to the Moy.

I notice no mention of the fact that he critiscised some of the "public" objectors to the grants for their own hypocrisy in being members of clubs that pay the money to managers etc and now campaigning against players getting it!!!

orangeman

Dessie will most likely come out and attepmt to say he wasn't a member in the first place or use some other form of smokescreen to deflect this news !

DMarsden

How many is that out of the GPA membership now that have dissented? Spitting your toys out of the pram because the collective membership didn't vote how you'd like is skin to leaving the country when the party you vote for doesn't win an election.

rrhf

Fair play to Phillip Jordan - an exceptional, courageous and principled position from one of tyrones greatest ever stars, beleieve you me this is only the tip of the ice berg, more will follow, but it takes courage to be the first.  Wait for flak and personal abuse from the unprincipled rabble on here, but sure they need insults, gagging nd character assassination to defend their arguement...As Harte pointed out in yesterdays paper "we must hand over this association, that we inherited from our forefathers, in a better state than when it was given to us."   We are only a generation of trustees (loosest sense) and are lucky that we can have a say in  our association but the say must not be for the furtherment of anyones self interest.

Make Mickey Harte GAA president NOW!!!!!!

Bogball XV

Quote from: DMarsden on December 26, 2007, 06:07:06 PM

How many is that out of the GPA membership now that have dissented? Spitting your toys out of the pram because the collective membership didn't vote how you'd like is skin to leaving the country when the party you vote for doesn't win an election.
No, it's not.  Jordan is obviously not comfortable with the GPA and does not want to be seen to be a member, he's not comfortable with the strike decision and thus has determined that this is a body he no longer wants to be part of.  Call him a conscientous objector if you will.

Zapatista

We need people like Jordan to remain in the GPA. He can easily object from within. If all the members whom object to the GPA leave then the leadership will be able to claim 100% support from the membership. The fact that the GPA do not represent all players is ignored by it's supporters and lost to the wider public.

Take them down from the inside!!

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: DMarsden on December 26, 2007, 06:07:06 PM
Spitting your toys out of the pram because the collective membership didn't vote how you'd like is skin to leaving the country when the party you vote for doesn't win an election.

So if the GAA at large decides the grants are a no go, and the county players will not receive them - will the GPA spit the dummy out?
i usse an speelchekor

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: rrhf on December 29, 2007, 12:02:38 PM
Fair play to Phillip Jordan - an exceptional, courageous and principled position from one of tyrones greatest ever stars, beleieve you me this is only the tip of the ice berg, more will follow, but it takes courage to be the first.  Wait for flak and personal abuse from the unprincipled rabble on here, but sure they need insults, gagging nd character assassination to defend their arguement...As Harte pointed out in yesterdays paper "we must hand over this association, that we inherited from our forefathers, in a better state than when it was given to us."   We are only a generation of trustees (loosest sense) and are lucky that we can have a say in  our association but the say must not be for the furtherment of anyones self interest.

Make Mickey Harte GAA president NOW!!!!!!

You must be delighted at being proven correct and reading all the abuse that Philip Jordan is getting on this board about his decision..... ::)

As for Mickey (I will break any rule I like as long as it suits Tyrone) Harte - yes he is a great role model...

orangeman

But sure you can't get any bigger or beter role model than the Dublin manager - Pillar Caffrey - he's a member of an Garda Siochana isn't he ? You wouldn't see him breaking any rules either.  ;)

Rossfan

Are not 99% of Managers breaking the amateur Rule? ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: orangeman on December 31, 2007, 02:00:03 PM
But sure you can't get any bigger or beter role model than the Dublin manager - Pillar Caffrey - he's a member of an Garda Siochana isn't he ? You wouldn't see him breaking any rules either.  ;)

So what rules did Pillar Caffrey break then?

orangeman

That shove in the back from Pillar or whatever it was in front of 82,000 spectators - is that enough of breaking a rule ? He was disciplined over it all the same - I think he got 1 month but it entitled him to apply for the grant on the basis that he had played some part in Dublin's quest for glory - he took an active part in the panel.

feetofflames

Fair play to the ofonebelief.org group.  Great news in the Irish News paper today that no decision has been reached on the grants by the GAA.  I have never been a fan of the various sub committees etc and appeal bodies within the GAA, but the ofonebelief group has illustrated how the procedures are there to protect the GAA from enemy forces from both within and outside its organisation.  At l;east now club members will have their say if it is deemed neccessary to push this agenda any further.  A victory for the grass roots and in years to come we will know why this was all neccessary. 
Chief Wiggum