Heaney blasts BBCNI

Started by bennydorano, November 06, 2007, 09:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Quinn Martin Production

Dunseath touched on the real issue near the end when he talked about the BBC's obsession with Irish League soccer and motor sport to the detriment of most others.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

bailestil

Yeah. Waste of time. Just usual fobbing off about budgets etc. This 'campaign' will go nowhere without some pressure from ulster council some political pressure along with pressure from fans. But i severely doubt anything will change.

Star Spangler

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on November 06, 2007, 01:01:27 PM
Dunseath touched on the real issue near the end when he talked about the BBC's obsession with Irish League soccer and motor sport to the detriment of most others.

That's because the BBC keeps Irish league soccer alive.  If they didn't report on it it would be completely forgotten about.

snatter

Quote"If we went by the viewing figures, we would only have bikes and soccer."

Well then, the big question the alleged managers of BBC NI should be asking is why are the viewing figures so low for their coverage of Northern Irelans's best atteneded sport.

It can't be that there aren't enough GAA fans to watch the coverage.

It must be that their coverage is so sparse or of such low quality that nobody watches it.

Earlier this summer, at the height of the GAA season, I posted how hours of BBC coverage went to almost every other sport, apart from GAA.

Maybe if they took their heads from out of their NI soccer loving arses, used their imagination and either co-produced something worth watching or bought in championship coverage from RTE, then they would start getting higher figures.  

If GAA fans don't expect any coverage, they're hardly likely to tune in on the odd occassion that there is some.

If BBC NI are not asking themselves why viewing figures are so low for the best attended sport in NI, then that's an institutional failure on the part of BBC NI.

bennydorano

Only caught the tale end of the programme - enough to hear Eugene, who if i'm not mistaken is an Armagh Harpsman.  Things will never change in the BBC until there are a few Sean Ogs and Seamus's in positions of power and I don't give a shite if that sounds sectarian - because it's the truth.

5 Sams

Funny the way they didnt let Paddy have a go at Shane Glynn live on the radio. Heaney would have had too much evidence and would have wiped the floor with him....can't have that now can we?? :-[
The Aristocrat Years

Rick O Shea

I fully back what Paddy Heaney said in this article, but didn't he pen an article recently (in the last year or so) basically saying that it was the GAA's fault that there was poor coverage of the games by BBC & UTV?

His main point was the poor facilities in GAA grounds (barring Croke Park) for those over-worked reporters ;)

Doire abú

Quote from: snatter on November 06, 2007, 01:08:59 PM
Maybe if they took their heads from out of their NI soccer loving arses.

Agree. The ultimate disgrace was after the six counties beat England and BBC NI reported it in a "This victory had brought the once divided people of Northern Ireland together. Isn't it great that sport can knock down the barriers between nationalists and unionists in our wee country?".

Cringe worthy.

scalder

2nd class citizens still it seems, so much for parity of esteem, plus FIFA have ruled against lads from the 6 counties playing with the south...

ziggysego

Emailed >:(

Here's hoping we get a reply soon.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Is this email correct alisa.orr@bbc.co.uk?

It bounced back to me. Prehaps Alisa's inbox is full ;)
Testing Accessibility

blasmere

Quote from: ziggysego on November 06, 2007, 02:02:35 PM
Is this email correct alisa.orr@bbc.co.uk?

It bounced back to me. Prehaps Alisa's inbox is full ;)

Ziggy, its ailsa not alisa
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

Bensars

My apologies ziggy, ailsa.orr@bbc.co.uk.    Typo on my part.

Greencastle got another mention. !     Its all your fault ziggy. We're paying for you' un's basking in the glory of croke Park ! ;)

Balboa

Quote from: Rick O Shea on November 06, 2007, 01:37:03 PM
I fully back what Paddy Heaney said in this article, but didn't he pen an article recently (in the last year or so) basically saying that it was the GAA's fault that there was poor coverage of the games by BBC & UTV?

His main point was the poor facilities in GAA grounds (barring Croke Park) for those over-worked reporters ;)

I remember that Rick, i agree with what Paddy said but i also remember him penning a column about how football was a far superior game to hurling, he likes to court publicity and controversy.

off the laces

complaint lodged in central complaints
Keeps 'er' straight