Author Topic: Heaney blasts BBCNI  (Read 19757 times)

DuffleKing

• View Profile
Re: Heaney blasts BBCNI
« Reply #210 on: June 19, 2018, 12:57:26 PM »

Is the weekly soccer coverage on a Saturday on fm or am?

angermanagement

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 19, 2018, 01:32:43 PM »
Both ususally.

Seany

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 19, 2018, 02:47:02 PM »
It's on FM.
The excuse traditionally was that the Sunday religious programmes clash with the GAA games and apparently 'Sounds Sacred' can never ever be moved, such is its importance to the 25 or so people who listen to it.  I think to move a religious programme off its slot to allow for the 'IRA at Play' would be far too much for our evangelical zealots to endure and Ulster would explode as a result.

So then a few years ago  the GAA moved games to a Saturday and guess what - even though there's usually a sports programme on at the very time the GAA game is on, lo and behold, it's also on MW.

You couldn't make it up...

smelmoth

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 19, 2018, 08:02:10 PM »
Interesting piece here about the BBC v GAA issue:

MacKenna On Monday: White-Collar Sectarianism Treats GAA Like Second-Class Citizen

Ther are real issues in the midst of that but there is no attempt at balance in that article. The whole reference to Mike Nesbitt is strange and dare I say revealing

sekibanki

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 19, 2018, 09:22:59 PM »
Interesting piece here about the BBC v GAA issue:

MacKenna On Monday: White-Collar Sectarianism Treats GAA Like Second-Class Citizen

Ther are real issues in the midst of that but there is no attempt at balance in that article. The whole reference to Mike Nesbitt is strange and dare I say revealing

There's no attempt at balance in the BBC either :P

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 19, 2018, 09:29:55 PM »
Has the 2018 Ulster championship not had far more airing than the other 3 provinces with live, deferred live and live on the iplayer games courtesy of the BBC? Not ideal but a damn site better than the current offerings from rte?

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 19, 2018, 09:54:37 PM »
It isn't the fault of the bbc they aren't live either.

Fionntamhnach

• "Load up on drugs, kill your friends..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 19, 2018, 10:03:05 PM »
The issue of the lack of commentary of Gaelic football & hurling games on Radio Ulster's FM network is a bit of a red herring. It's been known for a long time now within GAA circles up north here that to tune in to commentary you need to listen on medium wave. Why Irish League Soccer is carried on FM on Saturdays I couldn't say, but sports commentary doesn't really need hi-fidelity sound. Also the BBC's FM coverage for Radio Ulster isn't exactly good in some places, off the top of my head there's poor/no coverage along the north-east Antrim coast, parts of the Sperrins like the Glenelly Valley, an area south of the hills that hug Upper Lough Erne stretching from Belleek to Belcoo, Castlederg and maybe a few others. On the other hand the big diamond-shaped mast next to the M1 outside Lisburn covers pretty much all of NI and a fair bit beyond it, with low-powered stations in Derry & Enniskillen as well. Pretty much all cars still have medium wave on their radios and most households will still have something lying around that can tune it in as well. The only real disadvantage is to those who listen to FM radio through a mobile phone where adding MW isn't practical.

What is more important IMO is the lack of such coverage being made available on digital broadcasting platforms. DAB, Freeview and Satellite (Sky & Freesat) all carry Radio Ulster and Radio Foyle, but outside Foyle's opt-out hours they just relay Radio Ulster's main service, meaning the GAA commentaries lose out. A simple way around this would be for Radio Foyle to relay the coverage on these three platforms when available (keeping their normal output on FM & MW) - the only potential clash I see is with a one-hour gospel music show on Sunday late afternoons but I'm sure that could be worked around.
Putting internet gobshítes in their place since 1999

befair

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 20, 2018, 03:26:44 PM »
Heaney is absolutely right; the BBC has always marginalised the GAA, and it's coverage minimal + condescending. But hey, we'll soon be >50% of the population in NI, + they'll have to change their tune