Dubs get 4!

Started by Buckass, October 19, 2007, 09:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

Quote from: Bensars on October 19, 2007, 07:41:50 PM
Quote from: Buckass on October 19, 2007, 09:13:59 AM
Cluxton, Cahill,Whelan and A Brogan! Too Many imho.
Clux
M O Se(player of year) Canty McCloy
T O Se O'Mahony Cahill
O se Whelan
A Brogan D o Sullivan Bray
Gooch Bradley Freeman

well deserved, All Ireland Semi - Finalist. i think you need to put thr grapes away!!!

Spot on Buckass... respect

Dublin with 4  turns the awards into a complete and utter shambles.
If they ever get another final they will sweep the board.

Disgusted

Grand Slam Saturday!

INDIANA

Dublin with 4  turns the awards into a complete and utter shambles.
If they ever get another final they will sweep the board.

Disgusted

Ah the bitterness that didn't take long- stick it where the sun dont' shine. A team that gets to the last 4 gets 4 awards -hardly breaking news- well maybe not outside ulster anyway.

Canalman

Dublin imo deserved 3 All Stars, Whelo,Stephen Cluxton and Barry Cahill. Didn't think that Alan had a great season by his own high standards, but to say his inclusion is a joke is a bit silly.His scoring avge from play was good.
For the barstool pundits who seem to dominate this forum I would like to remind you that the team is picked on an individual basis and not on a "how far did his team go in the championship" basis.
Waterford got a deserved 5 places on the hurling team (I know that they won the lgue also) and they were well beaten by a team who got in turn hammered in the final. Howls of outrage, I think not.

I fear that the hatred alot of people bear towards to  the Dublin football team will fuel another 7 thread pages on this topic.

On a personal level am delighted that the selectors didn't pander to the mobs by denying Whelo a long overdue 2nd allstar,having lost out twice in recent years.

If you are looking for controversy I would point you to Canty's selection at corner back...

clarshack

what a f*ckin joke. dublin 4 awards and derry 2.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Canalman on October 19, 2007, 08:26:50 PM
For the barstool pundits who seem to dominate this forum I would like to remind you that the team is picked on an individual basis and not on a "how far did his team go in the championship" basis.

Conor Gormley = no award = joke awards (FFS he was pre-eminent throughout, never bested by anyone!). Though I take your point, and Cluxton on account of his absolute howler against Kerry did not deserve one, arguably he actually LOST Dublin that game. Not an anti-Dub bias, just looking for some objectivity in the whole affair, and it stinks to high heaven.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: INDIANA on October 19, 2007, 08:25:25 PM

A team that gets to the last 4 gets 4 awards -hardly breaking news- well maybe not outside ulster anyway.

Well considering it's never happened before - it is pretty big news

Canalman

FóSB, the allstar awards have been for many years open to question. Ever since imo Brian Whelehan was omitted in the 1990s and even later since Canavan got the silliest award some years ago etc etc.
I attribute it personally to the selectors being extended to tv pundits, tabloid (read soccer) journalists etc. It was usually spot on years ago when the likes of Paddy Downey, Seán Óg etc were picking the team. Backdoor to be fair has made it somewhat harder I have to admit.

Just disappointed that any such criticism of the scheme will be swamped by anti Dublin hysteria. IMO the 4 Dublin allstars were at the very least "justified" and not the "off the wall" selections that many agenda driven posters will argue.

armaghniac

Dublin were the 2nd best team in the country in 2007, 4 allstars is not ridiculous.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fear ón Srath Bán

Fair enough Canalman, I've said my piece I'll lay off now. Amateur players after all, and should't be begrudged whatever sporting gongs and bling comes their way, sometimes deserved other times not so deserved, and it has ever been thus, as you rightly say.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Bensars

Fair comment. I feel that the selection panel got it wrong.

No gripe with the Players.

But in all fairness Whelan should only accept half of the award as he never played a full game the whole year  ;)

johnpower

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 19, 2007, 08:35:22 PM
Quote from: Canalman on October 19, 2007, 08:26:50 PM

Conor Gormley = no award = joke awards (FFS he was pre-eminent throughout, never bested by anyone!). Though I take your point, and Cluxton on account of his absolute howler against Kerry did not deserve one, arguably he actually LOST Dublin that game. Not an anti-Dub bias, just looking for some objectivity in the whole affair, and it stinks to high heaven.

Agree Fear Gromley would get my vote well ahead Canty . Cluxton did cost Dublin

orangeman

Tyrone weren't really invloved this year - 1/4 final,same as Derry, Monaghan, Sligo - but this all star team is a complete joke - 4 awards for Dublin ! No way - Cluxton - good keeper who lost Dublin the semi final - No Conor Gormley - a joke !

But wait for it - this MUST be the biggest joke of ALL - Graham Canty gets one at corner back - in the AI final he was roasted by Kieran Donaghy and Cooper - no award for Donaghy but an award for Canty ??????????? JOKE !

ONeill

Rewind to the day before the All-Ireland Final. Cork v Kerry. Cork had just stuffed Sligo and Meath in the quarters and semis in Croke Park. Kerry had scraped by Monaghan and crapped themselves for a good 20 mins in the first half v Dublin. If you'd been asked to pick the All-Stars then, you'd have at least 4 Cork men. Amazing the importance the one game, an All-Ireland final, has on the selectors. Who did the Dubs beat anyway? Didn't they scrape past Meath after a replay, a Meath team that Cork swatted aside with ease. They beat Offaly who went straight into the Tommy Murphy Cup and lost immediately to Wicklow. They beat Laois who went out next game to Derry. They beat Derry.

Absolute joke.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Yes, it was the other way about.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Gnevin

Since the Dubs didnt deserve 4 who was  better than the 4 Dublin got?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.