Dubs get 4!

Started by Buckass, October 19, 2007, 09:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phpearse

For what it is worth I think the GPA awards has now more credibility. At least it is chosen by the actual players themselves ...

Ulster and Connaght champions with no awards shows how irrelevant winning a provincial title is to the selectors. It is what you do in Croke park from AI 1/4 final onwards that matters to them.

Bogball XV

Quote from: phpearse on October 19, 2007, 12:44:39 PM
For what it is worth I think the GPA awards has now more credibility. At least it is chosen by the actual players themselves ...

Ulster and Connaght champions with no awards shows how irrelevant winning a provincial title is to the selectors. It is what you do in Croke park from AI 1/4 final onwards that matters to them.
The selectors probably see more games than the players, there's always going to be controversy and imo the selectors seem to put a lot of value on consistency over a number of years rather than form in this season.

sligeach

4 fecking Dubs ??????

How in Gods name are these things picked ? They're worse then the hurling ones.

Only 1 Cork man and 4 Dubs ???

Monaghan deserved 2 imo. Alan fecking Brogan ??? Cluxton to a lesser extent but still!

for shame.

Doire abú

Quote from: Bogball XV on October 19, 2007, 12:04:51 PM
We had this confirmed on the derry thread by a usually reliable source.
6 Kerry,
4 Dubs
2 Derry
1 Cork
1 Monaghan
1 Cork

I don't think Cork can have too many arguments, although Canty's award was probably like Muldoon's for Derry 3 years ago - a long consistent service award.  That aside, there should be plenty of complaints from elsewhere - especially Conor Gormley.

You're joking right Bogball? Enda scored  3-24 that year including aruguably the goal of the year. He was fifth top scorer in Ireland and scoring isn't the main point of his game. His play-making is his main part and just how many scores did he make for Paddy Bradley that year? A lot thats the answer.

I thought Enda was absolutely unreal that year and if he hadn't of gotten an All-Star it would have been an absolute disgrace.

ONeill

Quote from: Buckass on October 19, 2007, 09:13:59 AM
Cluxton, Cahill,Whelan and A Brogan! Too Many imho.
Clux
M O Se(player of year) Canty McCloy
T O Se O'Mahony Cahill
O se Whelan
A Brogan D o Sullivan Bray
Gooch Bradley Freeman

Feckin ruined my night now. A man like me doesn't have much to look forward to. Why didn't you put a spoiler warning on it? Whatever you do, don't tell me the score of the rugby.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Doire abú on October 19, 2007, 01:36:40 PMYou're joking right Bogball? Enda scored  3-24 that year including aruguably the goal of the year. He was fifth top scorer in Ireland and scoring isn't the main point of his game. His play-making is his main part and just how many scores did he make for Paddy Bradley that year? A lot thats the answer.

I thought Enda was absolutely unreal that year and if he hadn't of gotten an All-Star it would have been an absolute disgrace.
No, if any Derry player deserved an All Star that year it was Paddy imo, Enda deserved one in 2001 but was overlooked.  I don't know if Paddy deserved an All Star this year, but he did in '04, Enda came good mid-summer that year, prior to that Paddy had dragged the team along all year on his own.

tbrick18

If that is the team...then the only real issue I have with it is Whelan....he was outplayed and outclassed in the Derry and Kerry matches.
And he only played in spells against Meath. I just dont get why he's so highly rated when there are at least half a dozen better midfielders in the country.

And of course, congrats to Paddy B and McCloy.

Bogball XV

Quote from: ONeill on October 19, 2007, 02:33:44 PMFeckin ruined my night now. A man like me doesn't have much to look forward to. Why didn't you put a spoiler warning on it? Whatever you do, don't tell me the score of the rugby.
I hate to ruin the rugby for you, but it's a 3rd place play-off!!!

ONeill

Quote from: Bogball XV on October 19, 2007, 03:13:02 PM

I hate to ruin the rugby for you, but it's a 3rd place play-off!!!

Oh I know. But there's money on her.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

his holiness nb

Quote from: tbrick18 on October 19, 2007, 03:07:34 PM
If that is the team...then the only real issue I have with it is Whelan....he was outplayed and outclassed in the Derry and Kerry matches.
And he only played in spells against Meath. I just dont get why he's so highly rated when there are at least half a dozen better midfielders in the country.

And of course, congrats to Paddy B and McCloy.

Ok there may be arguments for leaving Whelan out, even I said it was a close one.
But outplayed and outclassed versus Kerry?
Jesus christ, only for his domination of O'Se we would never have got that close to Kerry.
Ask me holy bollix

DUBSFORSAM1

Have to admit it is absolutely hilarious reading some of these postings here...

So far we have had -
Cluxton isn't a very good keeper,
Dublin defenders are poor
Whelan is poor
Dublin forwards are poor...

How on earth did we possibly manage to beat Meath, Laois, Derry etc and run Kerry very close I don't know.....must have been all those teams played really badly against us....

Cluxton made 1 mistake all year and yet it still took a good Kerry move to score a point......name me 1 other keeper who hasn't made a mistake to concede a score????
Dublins defence is very poor and yet we only lost 1 game by 2 points against Kerry who thrashed Cork in final and scored more against Cork
Whelan is a poor midfielder - well he beat Crawford in first Meath match, Ward in 2nd Meath match, was good in Leinster semi-final, Won good possession against Laois, Won a lot of ball against Derry when we went from 4 points down to 8 points up during the middle of hte match...fair enough tired at the end as injured and did very well against Kerry....Murphy remember got destroyed in the final and Cavanagh played most of his football at wing forward....
Brogan didn't have his best year but scored an avg of 3 points from play in each game, caused Higgins/Lockhart/O'Se problems also...but probably wouldn't have been in my All-Star team...

Bogball XV

Very selective there DFS, imo and most opinions if my remember rightly, the Dubs were easily the second best team in the country this year.

AZOffaly

ML, Am I reading your post correctly? Are you saying that Nicholas Walsh and Ciaran Whelan got the midfield slots, at the expense of Darragh O'Sé?

Billys Boots

If that's true AZ, then the awards will never have any credibility ever again, and should be discontinued.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

GrandMasterFlash

In my somewhat cynical opinion all-stars are awarded based on your media-friendly quotient.. Gary McQuaid for Monaghan should get one I reckon, but he won't, cause he's not that well known yet by the media! He was the most consistent player for Monaghan this year. Now I don't take objection to players not receiving an all-star if they picked up yellow cards in games or had to be moved off a player to avoid being sent off but basing them on how well a player is known by the media devalues the accolade. This is not specific to Monaghan and applies to all counties before anyone thinks it's sour grapes syndrome...

Any thoughts?