Shinty

Started by Lamh Dhearg Alba, September 21, 2007, 02:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicsponge

I didn't even realise shinty was played over 90 minutes, and with only 12 men, I can imagine that could be quite demanding at times.
I'd imagine most hurlers would have 90 minutes in them, obviously they would slow down in the last 10-15 minutes. They couldn't play at the high level of intensity they play at for a full 90 minutes. But still, I would say most inter county players are fitter than, or at least as fit as their league of Ireland/Irish league counterparts.

I cant understand why some people prefer to watch soccer over hurling(or Shinty), I know it's just my opinion, but I struggle to watch a full 90 minutes of a game, unless it is a world cup match which is weird because I actually like enjoy watching world cup matches.

I would love for hurling and shinty to be more popular around the world, but at the same time I don't want other people playing my sport. I don't know why and it's a bit petty but I just don't want other countries getting good at our sport. I like being able to say "Oh, Ireland has the best hurling/gaelic players in the world", I know its stupid but still....

LondonCamanachd

I'm from Aberdeen, so i've grown up with football as an obsession (3000 mile round trips to see us lose 5-1 in munich and the like), and can understand why people follow the game.

I can understand the enjoyment that comes from playing a sport unique to your culture, i get it too, but i'd still love it to spread to lowland Scots (i'm one myself, and only got into the sport at uni), and the Scots diaspora in London. 

Lar Naparka

Many years ago (in '76 to be exact) I was a member of the Trinity College, Dublin hurling team that went on an Easter trip  to Scotland to play a number of hurling/shinty games against the universities of Glasgow and St. Andrews. We played 4 games in 8 days and won each one comfortably. The rules we played under were more or less that same as are being used in the present international series.
The shinty players were far more dedicated to the job in hand than we were and, unlike us, they turned up sober for all games!
.  As we played each university twice, the opposition had the advantage of having a couple of extra days to prepare for their second game.
We played 11-a-side, no handling or lifting, no points and were obviously using shinty goals.
Trinity never looked like losing any of the games and the only real danger we faced was the possibility of getting brained by a flying shinty stick. Because there was (is?) no projection at the end of the handle, a player could let the stick fly out of his grasp if he swung hard when the conditions were greasy and wet.
The bigger 'boss' on the hurley made the job of trapping and controlling the sliotar much easier for us than the opposition.
Incidentally, all balls used by shinty clubs at the time were hurling sliotars made somewhere in Westmeath or so I was told.
Now, TCD is definitely not noted for the quality of its hurlers and in fact we were far more interested in the craic than in the results.
That's why I would expect the hurlers in any game, internationals included, to win with something to spare.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

highking

Quote from: Magicsponge on October 20, 2011, 09:50:49 AM
It's not not the best squad we could pick, not by a country mile, but then picking the best squad might make the game a little one sided. Offaly would be a good hurling county, Antrim would also be good enough. Laois, Carlow and Westmeath are a wee bit behind Antrim. The rest wouldn't play in the higher tier of the championship.
As for a player getting recognition, who knows? maybe if he plays well enough. But I doubt he would get much recognition as no-one pays any attention to this game, which is unfortunate.
Ireland used to try and pick their best panel of players from the top tier up until about 10 years ago. However, from talking to an officer who was involved with the team at the time, the top lads had little regard for it and constantly pulled out the day before the games, which made it a nightmare for the management.
About seven years ago, it was suggested that players from the Ring/Rackard counties would be instead chosen for these competitions, and from that the Irish organisers and management could felt that the lower tier lads had more enthusiasm to wear the Irish jersey and were easier to organise. Albeit, they werent at the same level as the McCarthy Cup lads, but took pride in getting the call up. This system has remained in place since, but players from teams from the lower echelons of the McCarthy Cup came on board each year. Westmeath, Carlow, Laois and Antrim are all McCarthy Cup counties remember, so for a lad from the lower tiers to play in this is some achievement. Also, a few very top tier players are thrown in to help the scoring side of things. Eoin Kelly and Michael Rice are there this year to drive things on up front. Im looking forward to this game, as I think its a bit like celebrity deathmatch - as little is known about either sidesides.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 22, 2011, 12:22:58 AM
Many years ago (in '76 to be exact) I was a member of the Trinity College, Dublin hurling team that went on an Easter trip  to Scotland to play a number of hurling/shinty games against the universities of Glasgow and St. Andrews. We played 4 games in 8 days and won each one comfortably. The rules we played under were more or less that same as are being used in the present international series.
The shinty players were far more dedicated to the job in hand than we were and, unlike us, they turned up sober for all games!
.  As we played each university twice, the opposition had the advantage of having a couple of extra days to prepare for their second game.
We played 11-a-side, no handling or lifting, no points and were obviously using shinty goals.
Trinity never looked like losing any of the games and the only real danger we faced was the possibility of getting brained by a flying shinty stick. Because there was (is?) no projection at the end of the handle, a player could let the stick fly out of his grasp if he swung hard when the conditions were greasy and wet.
The bigger 'boss' on the hurley made the job of trapping and controlling the sliotar much easier for us than the opposition.
Incidentally, all balls used by shinty clubs at the time were hurling sliotars made somewhere in Westmeath or so I was told.
Now, TCD is definitely not noted for the quality of its hurlers and in fact we were far more interested in the craic than in the results.
That's why I would expect the hurlers in any game, internationals included, to win with something to spare.

You might expect it - but results since the international games were re-started in the late 80's would suggest otherwise!

Hardy

Watching this, it seems to me hurling would be a much better game to watch if handling the ball wasn't allowed. It forces the players to display their stick skills. Great stuff on display here.

andoireabu

Good game to watch today. Interesting to see the different skill sets involved.  Its a lovely striking action the Scottish lads have but can sometimes take a while to execute.  And the control the Irish lads have without using the hand is great to watch.  Good game on a pishy day in Kildare.

Question for the lads who know more of Shinty than I would, is the pitch the same size or would ours be bigger? I know there are only 12 players on a shinty team so would the pitch size be reduced for this or does the length they can get on the ball cancel this out?
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Magicsponge

Unfortunately  I missed the match as I was at a club game. I seen the score, but I was wondering who all played well and what kind of game was it?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Magicsponge on October 22, 2011, 06:38:14 PM
Unfortunately  I missed the match as I was at a club game. I seen the score, but I was wondering who all played well and what kind of game was it?
great game- Donnelly, Bergin, Hyland, Kelly and Rice best for Ireland. Donnelly seemed to be everywhere and is a credit to Antrim

Magicsponge

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 22, 2011, 07:30:13 PM
great game- Donnelly, Bergin, Hyland, Kelly and Rice best for Ireland. Donnelly seemed to be everywhere and is a credit to Antrim

Thanks, Hopefully there will be some highlights on TV or on youtube that I can catch. Donnelly is a very good player, very dependable.

Hardy

Quote from: Magicsponge on October 22, 2011, 07:50:31 PM

Thanks, Hopefully there will be some highlights on TV or on youtube that I can catch. Donnelly is a very good player, very dependable.

It's on TG4 player - http://www.tg4.ie/en/tg4-player.html

Click on "Sport" in the Archive box on the home page.

Magicsponge

Quote from: Hardy on October 22, 2011, 08:17:53 PM
Quote from: Magicsponge on October 22, 2011, 07:50:31 PM

It's on TG4 player - http://www.tg4.ie/en/tg4-player.html

Click on "Sport" in the Archive box on the home page.

Ahh, Fantastic, just what I'm looking for. Thanks very much

Milltown Row2

Aye, Cormac Donnelly was brilliant, won a fair amount of ball and when the game was getting feisty he wasn't shy when in the challenge.  Very good hurler indeed, Kelly took some great scores also. Great to see some of the big names there
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

andoireabu

Quote from: Hardy on October 22, 2011, 04:16:28 PM
Watching this, it seems to me hurling would be a much better game to watch if handling the ball wasn't allowed. It forces the players to display their stick skills. Great stuff on display here.
Would you not think it would not lead to more "rucks" around the ball? Can't think of the right word but its the sort of thing that leads to more 'throw ins' in hurling.  When a group of lads are all at it with their feet rather than the hurl.  the game today was very good to watch though.  some of the "touch" skills from the irish lads was very nice to watch but I don't think they would have the time to do it in a hurling match.  Also the striking skills of the Scottish lads was akin to stepping up with an eight iron and hitting it as if they had all the time in the world.

Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on October 22, 2011, 11:20:14 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 22, 2011, 12:22:58 AM

You might expect it - but results since the international games were re-started in the late 80's would suggest otherwise!

So it would appear. I'm mad that I missed Saturday's game on TG4. I wonder if it will be shown again during the week. Anyone know anything about this?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi