Gambling left Oisin Mc Conville with debts of £100,000

Started by Balboa, September 18, 2007, 11:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof98

Obviously a plug for the book, but why write a book if you don't want to sell it. Fair play to the lad, hope he has it sorted, was drinking in his company after the 2002 ulster final, I picked a 16/1 winner in the 1st race and he put £50 on every horse I fancied after that, lost a clean fortune.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

thebandit

Quote from: Uladh on September 18, 2007, 01:49:55 PM

I'm having hard tme believeing £100k covered it.

He didn't pay it back

Both untrue Uladh, it was the guts of 100k, and he doesn't have any outstanding debts.

Spiritof98

out of interest what would he be taking in for the Lucozade Sport craic and the Jiggs and reels thing. That would have covered a bit of it, although rumours that Hugh and the boys helped cover him as long as he played for the county for a few more years.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

brokencrossbar1

Uladh, if you know he didn't pay it back fair enough, if you don't shut your f**king mouth you half arsed cnut.  I am sick sore and tired of your snide little comments about anything Cross.  You have a serious f**king chip on your shoulder that must stem from looking at your navel all you f**king life.

The lad has had his problems in the past but he has learned to deal with it.  If we all can sit up in our ivory towers and castigate people we must live fantastic lives.  No wonder you and you ilk never won anything, nothing but a shower of begruding, petty minded idiots who love to see people squirm.

gerry

Another day and another gaa hammering in the press, no doubt
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Uladh

Quote from: thebandit on September 18, 2007, 02:47:58 PM
Quote from: Uladh on September 18, 2007, 01:49:55 PM

I'm having hard tme believeing £100k covered it.

He didn't pay it back

Both untrue Uladh, it was the guts of 100k, and he doesn't have any outstanding debts.

i'm not saying the money wasn't repaid, i'm saying he didn't repay it.

bc - get off your f**king high horse. i've never discussde oisin's well known gambling problems on here or the numerous other personal traits i may know of concerning other footballers. hoever, he has decided to try to make money from his story by writing a book and releasing promotional interviews. in that case the full story is fair game.
classy post by the way.

thebandit

Quote from: Uladh on September 18, 2007, 03:35:37 PM

i've never discussde oisin's well known gambling problems on here or the numerous other personal traits i may know of concerning other footballers

That makes you a real gent sir.

Quote from: Uladh on September 18, 2007, 03:35:37 PM

i'm not saying the money wasn't repaid, i'm saying he didn't repay it.

And what business is that of yours?

Uladh

thebandit

How can you say for sure?

What makes you such an authority?

They are dangerous things to say when you aren't 100% sure what you are talking about.

Maximus Marillius

Uladh....by reading BC post, I think he would beat ye stupid at the minute if he could get hold of ye :D

The Iceman

i think the gambling was well known around armagh before he made a public statement on it.  I don't believe 100K is exaggerated either - think about it, whats 100K if you are gambling in thousands? All the serious guys gamble in thousands about Armagh and make sure everyone knows about it, the Maccari's and Gaffneys of this world - only thing is they have the money to lose.

Fair play he admitted it - good marketing tactic - will definitely sell a few more books - and seeing as he hasn't really been paid for his past county efforts then good luck to him making profit from his career anyway he can.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Uladh

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on September 18, 2007, 03:45:49 PM
Uladh....by reading BC post, I think he would beat ye stupid at the minute if he could get hold of ye :D

:D

who says you can't type emotions?

ziggysego

Gambling is an illness, just like alcoholism or something more physical.

Oisin has shown great courage in owning up to this illness, as it is mostly look upon as a fault in the victim.

The fact that has seeked help and appears to have overcome this affliction is fantastic and shows the strenght in his character. He has wrote about it in his book, not hiding the full facts. This could be used as encouragement for other people suffering from Gambling.

Now I haven't seen the BBC's reporting on this, so I don't know what view they have taken, but I can only imagine this can be a good thing. There would be a certain percentage of the population that would have no wish to read Oisin's book, for one reason and another, so the BBC highlighting this will bring it to a wider audience.

Since Oisin has gone to the BBC about this, I'm sure he'll have some say in the editing process.

So I say Congratulation Oisin.
Testing Accessibility

brokencrossbar1

Uladh, I will not get off my high horse about this.  You typed that Oisin didn't pay it back and implied that it was in excess of £100k.  Over the years you and a number of other posters have put up rumours, innuendo and shite talk as fact on this board.  I am sick and tired of the constant sniping about what players do/what they are/what the club does etc.

If you believe it is in excess of £100k how do you know?

If you believe he didn't repay it and someone else did, how do you know? 

Has it come out of your bank account?

You have a twisted mentality and think that the craic around the bar at the Carrickdale is gospel,  "i got it from a good source" attitude.

I know he has been my friend for many years, but I will always criticise him if it is warranted.  My criticism and commentary though will not be based on the opinions of people who may have agendas in what they are saying, and you, sir, always have an agenda in what you type.  Unlike you I do not hide who I am, people on this board from Armagh and further know my identity and I have no issue who does.  You know my identity and players from Cross know who I am on here, because trust me a lot of people you mightened realise check this place out.  You can fight your little anonymous battle behind the safety of you Dell computer, I wouldn't waste my time in giving you a thumping like max said I would!