Gambling left Oisin Mc Conville with debts of £100,000

Started by Balboa, September 18, 2007, 11:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Full of inaccuracies, most (if not all) have already been highlighted on the board. By the way the John Laverty he refers to is actually new Slaughtneil manager (and Oisin's former Armagh team mate) John Rafferty. Derry Daisy told me.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ONeill

That suggests he has just recorded Oisin talking. Maybe when we read 'Davy Harte is a wee bastard' he really said J'ammy tarts and green mustard'.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteI mean fair enough Oisin may forget what year he first sat on the bench for a championship game, but for the journo etc to do so too is unbelievable, I shudder to think what awaits me (if I get round to picking it up again).  N

Basically the date errors continue throughout the description of the 90s in the book. The inaccuracies are very annoying. I think Oneill has hit the nail on the head in that Oisin likely never put a pen to paper. Very shoddy journalism though. A day's proof reading by anyone with a decent knowledge of Armagh football in the 90s could have sorted the problem out. But the fact that the dates are mixed up doesn't mean that the incidents described (Gormley's mouthing, Harte's taunting etc) aren't accurate accounts of factual events.

Its a reasonable read, the stuff about the fiasco Armagh endured before the Galway match is interesting. Some good anecdotes as well. Great to hear what a generous soul Francie Bellew is.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

mhacadoir

i agree, the inaccuracies are quite annoying, i was quite annoyed with the quality of journalism... it is a good story there to be told and it could have been done better.

nrico2006

QuoteBut the fact that the dates are mixed up doesn't meanthat the incidents described (Gormley's mouthing, Harte's taunting etc) aren't accurate accounts of factual events.

If he is telling fibs regarding dates who are you to say he is so truthful with regards to everything else.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

thebandit

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 24, 2008, 09:00:40 AM
QuoteBut the fact that the dates are mixed up doesn't meanthat the incidents described (Gormley's mouthing, Harte's taunting etc) aren't accurate accounts of factual events.

If he is telling fibs regarding dates who are you to say he is so truthful with regards to everything else.

I dont think anyone dispute that it did happen in 2003, I couldn't believe the carry on of Gormley that day in Omagh, he's far too good a defender to have to resort to that shite

orangeman

Was it only Conor Gormley that was misbehaving that day ? Hard to believe that it would only be himself ?? ;)

Uladh

Pangurban

GAA Confidential is an amusing book of nonsensical,whimsical pieces, with a little history thrown in. A good read

The Iceman

just finished the book there - picked it up from my brother when I was back home for 2 weeks.

Interesting read - could really have been compiled by any of the cross/county boys of the era but I have to admit I did enjoy it

some good insight into what went on in the back room and some good stories

i loved the story about how management made a "peace with inches" speech using the family of the players

Would love the mighty Geezer to one day tell his story

what a read that would be...........
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

stew

Quote from: The Iceman on March 07, 2008, 08:41:30 PM
just finished the book there - picked it up from my brother when I was back home for 2 weeks.

Interesting read - could really have been compiled by any of the cross/county boys of the era but I have to admit I did enjoy it

some good insight into what went on in the back room and some good stories

i loved the story about how management made a "peace with inches" speech using the family of the players

Would love the mighty Geezer to one day tell his story

what a read that would be...........

As long as he used a ghost writer he would be ok.

Geezer, the single most influencial Armagh player of all time, not even close to being the best player but no matter. I love the man and wish him all the best in his new role.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Quote from: cross4capital on October 13, 2007, 03:42:38 PM
I think its disgraceful that this thread has even been alowed  to carry on. We should all leave oisin alone, he has done so much for his club and county and is a great role model for all of us young feens. I'd take a 100k debt anyday if I could have his ability or looks. Lay off the man.

Oh fcuk me pink!!! O'Neill is this you again????

I love what Oisin has done for armagh, a tremendous servant for both club and county, that said the man look like a cross ( pardon the pun) between a roman soldier and ballyregan bob.

Some of you tyrone cnuts have nothing better to do that take this pish out of armagh men. :'(
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.