Gambling left Oisin Mc Conville with debts of £100,000

Started by Balboa, September 18, 2007, 11:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uselessfootballer

Anyone who admits to and then takes action to combat their addiction deserves nothing but credit.

Hopefully some of the media attention that will undoubtably surround the launch of his book will serve to highlight the very real problems that compulsive gambling and the resulting behaviours causes for thousands of individuals and their families in this country.

Fair play to you Oisin, one day at a time.

armaghniac

Here you have a situation where there was no discussion of Oisin and gambling on this board although many like Marillius on the board, half of Cross, the Armagh setup and people in Cavan, Galway and elsewhere had a good idea about it. On the other hand some people continue spread other rumours which people like BC had refuted in the past. Not only the BBC are willing to put a bad look on things.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bingobus

It was well known round the border area that he was a big gambler and not very good at it. He was barred from most bookie shops round Blayney, Monaghan Town etc after running up a few debts with them at the time. Often seen him about Carrick in a few of the shops but that was prob 2/3 years back.

Funny story about Oisin was a number of years back in was drinking in Blayney and had quite a few on board. Was drinking in a pub in Blayney near the traffic liights and Peter Duffy (Faughs player and Ex-county Monaghan player) was drinking in the same pub. Oisin (with a lot of soup on board) decdided he could beat Peter in a sprint (Peter was a bit of speed merchant) and repeatedly challenged Pip to a sprint up the street, firstly for money but his offer was politely declined. Eventually Pip gave in and it was agreed that they'd race from the traffic lights (as the lights turned green) down to Taveys at botton of town. Taveys pub was rang and told to judge the winner and the two pubs emptied out onto the street on a Sunday evening in Blayney.

Both "Sprinters" lined up, hunched on the line at the lights waiting for Green. Lights went green, McConville was gone like a hare flying up the street. Pip calmly turned, walked back into the pub and drank his pint much to the amusement of the gathered crowd. McConville sprinted to Taveys, thinking he had stuffed Peter the Great  ;D He later challenged Pip to more than a sprint but nothing happened.

Kentucky Blue

Fair play to Oisin is right in my opinion. Firstly, it takes a big man to admit his problem so this took a bit of guts on his part.

On the book, I respect his honesty (or warts and all approach as you say rrhf)
He did not go out to release a glossy book blowing his own trumpet about achievements on the field solely. The rough is there with the smooth.

Pints, what do you mean what else he might admit to? Like what?

Tyrone Dreamer

Come on its pretty obvious he's trying to sell a book, announcing this was always going to get coverage. Id have my doubts about the amount of debts in question - the bookies arent thick and neither are bank managers!

orangeman

Dreamer - you're probably right about the figure - £ 100k is probably a huge exageration - probably more like £ 10k -

Balboa

Would he have admitted to a gambling problem if he did not have a book to promote?

illdecide

Well its like this lads everyone has a skelton or 2 in their closets so don't be so quick to condem the man, i personally don't know him so i can't destroy the fella but a lot of you guys are quick to throw the first stone. there's no doubting that a lot of the stories are true but the fella had a problem and it's good to know he got sorted. My club would be one of Cross's biggest rivals so there is no favouritism there.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Uladh

Quote from: orangeman on September 18, 2007, 01:27:48 PM
Dreamer - you're probably right about the figure - £ 100k is probably a huge exageration - probably more like £ 10k -

:D

clarshack

£100,000 does seem exaggerated. if i ran up this sort of debt i would have to sell my house. is there any mention of him having to sell assets to cover the debt? i recall when keith gillespie had gambling debts his was no more than £60,000 and how much would he be earning a week?

Uladh

I'm having hard tme believeing £100k covered it.

He didn't pay it back

Hereiam

Does anyone think that he could have kicked a few wides in games to lose them to win a couple of pound. Just a thought.

orangeman

I don't think so - but it HAS been known to have happened.

longball

Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0