Gooch
37 (38.5%)
Canavan
59 (61.5%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Voting closed: September 22, 2007, 03:44:46 PM

spiritof91and94

orangeman

BOTH PLEASE - But if yuo had to choose one - Canavan - Gooch is surrounded by class all the time - Canavan didn't always have that luxury.

Louth Exile

At the moment I have to say Peter the Great, but Gooch has many more years to come and that opinion could change over time! He was class personified yesterday
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

screenexile

Based on what I've seen of both of them I'd have Canavan, as someone said he has proven he can do it withot other good players around him. However the Gooch is still very young (was 24 in June I think) so it's a bit early to be making that comparison.

Pietas

In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

Puckoon

Im a big fan of gooch, but im from tyrone, so ill try and see past the obvious bias.

Ive never seen gooch play well when kerry lost
Peter carried teams at times, while gooch has always had a team of winners behind him.

Canavan is my pick, but gooch has years to come.

cavanmaniac

Canavan by a country mile and then some. The wiliest, most accurate and one of thee best allround players I've seen. Gooch is only 24 and has already had a few duff seasons, he might eventually attain Canavan-like status but as yet has not.

Kerry could lose Gooch to injury and still prosper I think, Tyrone look 15-20% a weaker team without PC which I think makes the point about who's the better player.

ludermor

Quote from: cavanmaniac on September 17, 2007, 04:06:01 PM

Kerry could lose Gooch to injury and still prosper I think, Tyrone look 15-20% a weaker team without PC which I think makes the point about who's the better player.

that says more about the team not the player

ziggysego

I have to say Canavan, one of the top players of all time.

However as Louth Exile has rightly stated, Gooch is still a young man and if he keeps the good work up then my opinion could change.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Quote from: 5iveTimes on September 17, 2007, 04:09:45 PM
Quote from: ludermor on September 17, 2007, 04:07:44 PM

My thoughts exactly, and although I would hesitate to call Tyrone a one man team, they will never recover from his retirement.

I personally feel that Tyrone is more at a lost from Brian McGuigan that Peter Canavan.
Testing Accessibility

hoopsaaa

Canavan. But the Gooch has a few years left in him to change my mind. I will reconsider in another 10 years or so.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: ludermor on September 17, 2007, 04:07:44 PM

You could argue that one all day. Bottom line is Gooch doesn't have the same all-reaching influence or sway in big matches that Canavan had for a long stretch of years. Some day he might well have but not yet and until then it's Canavan for me and it's not even close.

Puckoon

Quote from: 5iveTimes on September 17, 2007, 04:00:59 PM
Two totally different players, Canavan was a more all round player, but the Gooch is the most gifted player that I have seen. Both will win you games on their day, but the Gooch has more medals than peter.

I dont know how true that is 5T I think they are more alike than different (except maybe in stature).
They both run at defenders
They both are superb of either foot (maybe canavan more so)
They both score alot of goals
They both create alot of chances for others
They both exploit and create space by running constantly

I think a highlight reel of canavans magic from the 90s is needed - it is hard to remember everything he did. Case in point - the score he took against meath as he was laid out off his bad foot, check out also his mid air catch, and pass to ciaran mcbride in an ulster final/semi final mid 90s. . I also think he was as gifted as any of them - with the exception of maurice fitz.