Canavan or Gooch - Which one?

Gooch
37 (38.5%)
Canavan
59 (61.5%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Voting closed: September 22, 2007, 03:44:46 PM

Will Hunting

Gooch for me. On Sunday he just gave a masterclass. Don't know why i was so surprised, he's been doing it for the past five years, playing starring roles in 3 All-Ireland victories.

orangeman

Both fantastic players - Canavan's goal against Kerry in 2005 will live long in the memory !

Maximus Marillius

For me currently Canavan, if Canavan had of been born in Kerry this would not even be debated, he would be viewed as the greatest player to have graced the pitch. If born in Kerry he would have at least equalled Spillanes record of All Stars. Would Cooper carried that Tyrone team of 95 to the All Ireland final ah la Canavan

orangeman

Well put Maximus - I was talking about thatin an earlier post - Canavan didn't always have the luxury of good players around him - in fact some of the teams he was on were ordinary, whereas Gooch is playing with class forwards all the time.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: orangeman on September 18, 2007, 10:27:06 AM
Well put Maximus - I was talking about thatin an earlier post - Canavan didn't always have the luxury of good players around him - in fact some of the teams he was on were ordinary, whereas Gooch is playing with class forwards all the time.

Don't know how you could call Brian McGuigan and Stephen o' Neill ordinary ???
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Maximus Marillius

Deel would ye read what he said, he said some of the teams he was on was ordinary i.e. (make sure and accurately read this...from 91 until 2001, thats 10 years he played with ordinary players around him, that changed in 2002 explaining why they won 2 All Irelands. Tey won two Ulster c'ships in 95 & 96 but were not near good enough to won All Irelands . Bt inspite of this nearly did, because they had Canavan

loughshore lad

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 18, 2007, 10:31:20 AM
Quote from: orangeman on September 18, 2007, 10:27:06 AM

Don't know how you could call Brian McGuigan and Stephen o' Neill ordinary ???

I think orangeman was probably referring to some of the earlier Tyrone teams Canavan played on. If McGuigan and Canavan had played together more often Tyrone would probably have won at least one more All Ireland - some of their combined play was out of this world at times.

For me the Canavan - Gooch thing is a no contest. Canavan wins hands down. He consistently produced master classes for both club and county for well over 15 years and had a number of pretty bad injuries sandwiched in between, it would be interesting to see how the Gooch coped with any serious injury (obviously you would hope he doesnt get one). The majority of people are probably making comparisons based on this decade but dont forget Canavan was at his peak in the 90's. A number of his performances back then will linger in the memory and I dont know if I will have the pleasure of seeing any better player in my lifetime. Some master classes of the top of my head include: 94 Ulster semi vs Donegal in Breffni, 95 - all season but especially against Derry when Tyrone won with 13 men, 96 - against Derry again in the ulster semi, County final for Errigal against Moortown in 92/93.

full back

PTG really was something else. The Gooch has time on his side to go on and become one of the greats of the game as well.
BTW, how many time was PTG sent of in his career?
No matter how good he was, it is no use if he is on the line watching

Tyrone Dreamer

It has to be remembered that a lot of people are judging Canavan solely on what they remember over the last 5-6 years. Id say he was only about 70% of the player at best that he was in the early to mid nineties. He was unreal in those years, possibly the best player at u21 grade ever. That form went to senior level pretty quick. One score against Donegal in the 94' ulster semi sticks out in my mind of the genius he was. In recent years his input was restricted but everything he did was quality. The goal or point in the 05' final were both unreal. And in relation to being a playmaker he produced 2 unbelievable passes in the Dublin and Monaghans games in 05. Gooch is a very special talent and may get even better or he may have reached his peak who knows. He was excellent on Sunday but Cork gave up very quickly and gav him lots of space. Tremendous player though and hard to mark.

orangeman

Yeah - I wasn't referring to Mc Guigan or O'Neill - I was talking about teams Canavan was on way back - not this recent crop who are / were very special -
Agreed Loughshore lad - Canavan has been on the road a long long time and in 2005 would have peaked long before this.

Canavan for me all day every day. The real deal !

Pietas

IMHO Gooch is better now than Canavan was at his peak.  Better disciplined also.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

orangeman

Full back  - that's a bit harsh - how many times was he sent off is not relevant - I suppose you remeber him getting sent of by that great referee from Cork Michael Collins in 2005 when he was assaulted as soon as he came onto the field - that's how dangerous he was - a great tribute to Canavan. I think he sent Stephen O'Neill off that day too along with an Armagh man.

orangeman

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on September 18, 2007, 10:38:37 AM
Deel would ye read what he said, he said some of the teams he was on was ordinary i.e. (make sure and accurately read this...from 91 until 2001, thats 10 years he played with ordinary players around him, that changed in 2002 explaining why they won 2 All Irelands. Tey won two Ulster c'ships in 95 & 96 but were not near good enough to won All Irelands . Bt inspite of this nearly did, because they had Canavan

I'm agreeing with you MM its just that Orangeman said that some ot the teams that he was playing on were ordinary but as you said the teams that won the 2 All irelands were not ordinary. Prior to 2002 it was a one man show and what a show Peter Canavan was a fabulous footballer who had the lot 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

orangeman