kieran mc geeney retires from intercounty football

Started by clean cotton, September 13, 2007, 10:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Just like to add my thanks to Geezer for many wonderful days. Armagh would not have reached the heights they did without his presence. I would suggest our greatest player.

Interesting to know what Geezer will do now. Suggestions that he may go back to Mullaghbawn - anyone hear rumours of a return to Armagh at another Club?  :o

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 14, 2007, 09:03:19 AM
It had to end some time and it appears its now. A sad day for Armagh. Don't think they would have won their All-Ireland without him as a player and more importantly an influence on others.

Agree with this on all counts, with the last point here very relevant - Armagh have a lot of young talent, and I would love to have seen Geezer remain in some capacity in the County set up, as he could have instilled in these players the drive, discipline, professionalism and single minded determination that is needed to get to the top. He will leave a huge void.

Armamike

A great player and a great leader.  He leaves a big void in the Armagh set up but likewise there will be a huge void there in his own life, after 15 years of involvement at county level. One of my best memories of McGeeney is the sideline block he made on Dara O'Cinneide at the start of the second half of the AI final in 2002.  Armagh were 3 or 4 points down and it was a crucial stage were Kerry could have started to pull away. Kieran made a lung busting run to dive at O'Cinneide's feet. I think the modern term for it is 'inches'. Another moment summed McGeeney up during the 2000 semi final replay against Kerry.  It was entering injury time and the game was over for Armagh but McGeeney was still driving on, trying to get something from it and he made another one of those trademark blocks – putting his head where most people wouldn't put their boot. The final whistle blew and Kerry celebrated. Meanwhile McGeeney, in agony with a couple of broken fingers, was being seen to by medical staff.

He'll probably feel that he could have won more than one all-Ireland but at the end up he got to captain his county for their first ever title. How good must it have felt for him to lift that cup!

Thanks and good luck Kieran, I hope to see you back with Armagh some day.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Cloc Mor

Tell someone who cares. He never did anything for me.

Balboa

Going by all the eulogies here i take it he has also found a cure for cancer,Aids and has brokered a peace settlement in the Middle East??

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Balboa on September 15, 2007, 08:08:28 PM
Going by all the eulogies here i take it he has also found a cure for cancer,Aids and has brokered a peace settlement in the Middle East??

You only 'take' that because of a basic inability to read and understand what is posted here - I believe the phrase I'm looking for is, 'lack of comprehension'.

To be fair, posts such as yours have been a common sight on threads like this, since I have been on the GAABoard (from August 2002). That means that it lacks originality and dare I say it, the humour that you yourself believes it has.  ;)

Tyrones own

He was some yoke no doubt, hope he stays involved with the setup though,
By the way, what was the reason for him leaving Mullaghbawn to begin with?
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Sandy Hill

QuoteThere is no humour intended

That's pretty obvious, but, out of curiosity, what was?
"Stercus accidit"

Uladh

Quote from: Cloc Mor on September 15, 2007, 07:13:35 PM
Tell someone who cares. He never did anything for me.

and yet you took the time to read the thread and post...

Bensars

Quote from: Balboa on September 15, 2007, 08:08:28 PM

Have to agree. great player alright, but of the posts here are nuts.  Announcing his retirement on the same weekend of the All Ireland, media hoor ;D

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

SimpleSimon

I think the man is and was unbelieveable! Is single mindedness and desire are awesome. A true gent with it and very level headed, if anything over critical of himself i'd say.

john mcgill

I wish McGeeney all the best.  He gave me a great day on the third Sunday in Sept in 2002 and I'll not forget him for it.  Just back from the All Ireland, worse game than last year.  Was in the Castleknock Hotel on Friday night and met a lot of Central Council delegates and the overseas people.  The London people have it that McGeeney is heading over there to start a labour supply business up.  If true a good idea with all the work for the Olympics coming up.

john mcgill

Just saw your post that Fr Ryder has retired.  I always liked him and especially when he banned you lot from wearing the Tyrone jersey to Mass!

ziggysego

Quote from: john mcgill on September 16, 2007, 07:34:40 PM
Just saw your post that Fr Ryder has retired.  I always liked him and especially when he banned you lot from wearing the Tyrone jersey to Mass!

What do you expect from a Donegal man!  :D

He'll be sadly missed in Greencastle, a good priest.
Testing Accessibility