kieran mc geeney retires from intercounty football

Started by clean cotton, September 13, 2007, 10:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: tyroneman on September 18, 2007, 01:21:29 PM
Heard a rumour from a fella in Lurgan that McGeeney is considering the Carlow job????

Thought it was strange initially but then again.............good place to cut the aul managerial teeth. Would command huge respect there I would imagine and with someone to help with tactics.........

Heard that myself a few days ago on the Hoganstand website. Not sure if he's considering or whether Carlow is considering asking him.
Testing Accessibility

Donagh

Quote from: ziggysego on September 18, 2007, 03:48:29 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on September 18, 2007, 01:21:29 PM
Heard a rumour from a fella in Lurgan that McGeeney is considering the Carlow job????

Thought it was strange initially but then again.............good place to cut the aul managerial teeth. Would command huge respect there I would imagine and with someone to help with tactics.........

Heard that myself a few days ago on the Hoganstand website. Not sure if he's considering or whether Carlow is considering asking him.

It's Kildare according to the BBC

stew

I just talked to a great mate of his that used to play with him on the county team and this move to Kildare is far from a done deal at this point.

Kildare and us meet in the league the year I believe and that would certainly add a bit of spice to that encounter.

Wherever the great man goes I wish him all the best.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Uladh

I think Kildare are in division one his year stew.

i was holding off on McGeeney's playing obituary in the hope that peter McDonnell would have the good sense to persuade geezer to play on but given the management rumours it would seem thats out of the question now.

McGeeney was the heartbeat of the armagh team from well before the glory years. nothing more can be said about the professionalism of the man and the sacrafices he made personaly for the cause. in 2002 he was a man possessed and his defiant form of defending would inspire water to get up and walk.

the greatest centre back of his generation and a great leader of men. thanks for the memories kieran.

orangeman

There was a nice piece in the Star about his decision to retire - seems like he didn't want to go at all but Armagh's decision to shaft Grimley meant that he had to go. Such a shame that he has left a bitter man.

stpauls

i have heard romours that Grimley was to get the job and was lined up for it only for Morgan Fuels to pull out and not stump up the funding for him, hence the CB giving McDonnell the job!!!

full back

Lokks like he is on his way to Kildare
The backroom team will be very interesting

http://www.hoganstand.com/Armagh/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=83809

thevoiceofreason

about time is was becoming like watching an over 40s team

Uladh

goldenyears

Former Armagh captain Kieran McGeeney is expected to become an inter-county manager by taking charge of Kildare.
McGeeney has met the Lilywhites' county board and it is understood he will be unveiled after chairman Syl Merrins rubberstamps the appointment.

The vacancy arose as John Crofton resigned after Kildare were beaten by Louth in the All-Ireland qualifiers.

McGeeney was an Armagh stalwart for 15 years and was captain of the team which won the All-Ireland in 2002.

Former Derry boss Mickey Moran was another considered for the Kildare post but it is believed McGeeney is the first choice of county board.

It is not known if former Armagh selector Paul Grimley would be part of McGeeney's management team.

laughinpaddy

I've heard that Paul Grimely will be joining McGeeny as will the surprise packet sean Boylan the former Meath manager who will be coming on board as a consultant type role!

If true a very strong and able management set up.
I ain't gettin on no plane!

Sandy Hill

Quote from: laughinpaddy on September 25, 2007, 04:39:12 PM
I've heard that Paul Grimely will be joining McGeeny as will the surprise packet sean Boylan the former Meath manager who will be coming on board as a consultant type role!

If true a very strong and able management set up.

Meanwhile back at the ranch in Armagh ....................................................        ???
"Stercus accidit"

Spiritof98

Boylan picked him as captain of the International rules, so theres a history, the two must have linked well if the rumour is true.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

laughinpaddy

The source was one of the main sponsors of the county team while Grimely was there who has now withdrawn his sponsorship and is considering giving it to Kildare. so the source is reliable enough.
but then again time will tell  ;)
I ain't gettin on no plane!

SimpleSimon

If that is the team in place, Geezer, Grimley and Boylan, I think they will do a good job. How would Meath folk react to Boylan (after so many great years) taking someone else?