Skiing

Started by The Claw, September 05, 2007, 05:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: seafoid on December 21, 2013, 08:49:42 AM
The snow is very poor this week in Switz. Only 33% of the usual cover. Last year was way better.

Rubbish - are you out there?  Hope it hasn't ruined your holiday.
I keep an eye on the Snowheads forum where people who are out in the resorts post updates on what it's like.  I've booked a short break end of Jan, hoping the predicted snowfalls next week happen. Apparently avalanche risk is really high.

seafoid

Quote from: Rois on December 21, 2013, 08:56:07 AM
Quote from: seafoid on December 21, 2013, 08:49:42 AM
The snow is very poor this week in Switz. Only 33% of the usual cover. Last year was way better.

Rubbish - are you out there?  Hope it hasn't ruined your holiday.
I keep an eye on the Snowheads forum where people who are out in the resorts post updates on what it's like.  I've booked a short break end of Jan, hoping the predicted snowfalls next week happen. Apparently avalanche risk is really high.
End jan should be ok but it is bad for stations that make 30 to 40% turnover between christmas and new year.
Waiting for the full set of pistes to open- earliest is wednesday. Did a bit today . It is great to be back on the skis.

Just Puck It

Thought I'd get this back to page one!

Any teachers/family skiers who have to go during holidays any advice?

I've always skied throughout my time at Uni and even organised university trips to Andorra and Val Thorens but now I'm out on the other side and I have to go during school holidays I can't believe the price difference! A quick look on Thompson Ski and the difference in going to Val Thoren during mid term week in Feb and the week before is £500!

Looking to book something lively for a group of teachers during Feb, 14th-21st. Is my best option to book everything separately rather than use a tour operator? Any advice appreciated!

seafoid

Quote from: Just Puck It on November 07, 2014, 11:18:35 PM
Thought I'd get this back to page one!

Any teachers/family skiers who have to go during holidays any advice?

I've always skied throughout my time at Uni and even organised university trips to Andorra and Val Thorens but now I'm out on the other side and I have to go during school holidays I can't believe the price difference! A quick look on Thompson Ski and the difference in going to Val Thoren during mid term week in Feb and the week before is £500!

Looking to book something lively for a group of teachers during Feb, 14th-21st. Is my best option to book everything separately rather than use a tour operator? Any advice appreciated!
It might be better to shop around. Tour operators will charge more during school holidays because that is when the demand is.
A UK operator will jack up prices during UK holidays - mostly because of the price of flights and because they can. 
Rentals at French resorts are more expensive during French holidays.

If you can find a resort that won't be too busy during your school hols you can benefit.

Just Puck It

Thanks Seafoid. Looking at the French resorts they are a lot more expensive, and it seems that the French midterm is falling at the same time as ours this year which obviously jacks up prices too. Cheapest skiing seems to be in Andorra which wouldn't be the worst thing. Only downside would be that I've skied Andorra twice in the last three years and would rather broaden our horizons than go back.

Has any one any experience of skiing in Austria?

seafoid

Quote from: Just Puck It on November 08, 2014, 11:49:54 AM
Thanks Seafoid. Looking at the French resorts they are a lot more expensive, and it seems that the French midterm is falling at the same time as ours this year which obviously jacks up prices too. Cheapest skiing seems to be in Andorra which wouldn't be the worst thing. Only downside would be that I've skied Andorra twice in the last three years and would rather broaden our horizons than go back.

Has any one any experience of skiing in Austria?
if you go to a site like interhome.com you can compare apartment rental costs at ski resorts by country.
In most cases prices are cheaper outside the local school holidays so you just need to find somwhere that the price is reasonable and not too far from an airport.

Rois

Have you checked Livigno in Italy? Should be broadly comparable price wise to Andorra (same awful transfer).

Would def avoid France at that time. I'm going first wk of March when all holidays will be over.

seafoid

I was looking at this

http://www.interhome.com/italy/lombardy/livigno/

but there must be places with better transfers

http://www.interhome.com/austria/tyrol/ischgl/
isn't so far from Zurich airport

seafoid

I was skiing today in the Alps. Very poor snow and a lot of resorts are closed eg Morzine. I imagine it is worse in the Pyrenees. Snow is expected this weekend but it is very late.

Rois

Quote from: seafoid on December 25, 2014, 04:03:04 PM
I was skiing today in the Alps. Very poor snow and a lot of resorts are closed eg Morzine. I imagine it is worse in the Pyrenees. Snow is expected this weekend but it is very late.
At least some of Avoriaz is open - some friends were skiing yesterday so it's an option if Morzine is closed.
First half of March for me this yr.

seafoid

Quote from: Rois on December 26, 2014, 04:31:03 AM
At least some of Avoriaz is open - some friends were skiing yesterday so it's an option if Morzine is closed.
I feel sorry for the people who work in the ski resorts when there isn't enough snow in one of the most importantweeks in the season. March should have a good bit more snow.

Last Man

Quote from: seafoid on December 26, 2014, 07:11:25 AM
I feel sorry for the people who work in the ski resorts when there isn't enough snow in one of the most importantweeks in the season. March should have a good bit more snow.
Not quite as grim in Austria according to the Zell am See web cams, another 21/2 weeks to improve things for us, fingers crossed.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: seafoid on December 26, 2014, 07:11:25 AM

Are you back from the slopes yet ?

Your concern for the workers is touching. That's what I always liked about you Seafoid. Even in your most bourgeois moments you still find time to think of the little man. 

bennydorano

Harry Enfield brummy skit (20 years ago rite enuf) "I appear to be considerably richer than you".

Rois

Booked the annual trip today to Morzine for early March 16 with an Irish chalet operator for the first time called Highlife.  Good customer service so far and very accommodating.  They seem to have gone from strength to strength despite the recession years.

Anyone else skiing this winter?