Skiing

Started by The Claw, September 05, 2007, 05:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

I'm heading on the 17th Feb. Keep out of my way if you don't want flattened!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rois

Just paid off our final balance at the end of Dec - there's 17 confirmed which will be great craic in our own big catered chalet. 

Going back to Morzine for the sixth time.  Still can't wait. 

Are we black/red/blue skiers?  I'm prob happiest on reds, crap myself on the blacks but I usually try to give a few of them a go each trip.  Find I enjoy skiing much better on reds than blues as well. 

ziggysego

Gadget Show's and new BBC F1 presenter Suzi Perry tweeted yesterday she was going on a ski-ing holiday. I decided to tweet her good luck and said 'break a leg'. I opened up a wave of hate upon myself from lots of Suzi fans.  :o
Testing Accessibility

Just Puck It

Back two weeks ago from Val Thorens - went from the 15th to 22nd December.  Flew to Geneva from Belfast for about £90 and £90 again for the transfers.  Took about 3.5 hours.  Only four of us went and stayed in Temple du Soilel which is right on the piste.  Think we got accommodation and our ski pass for £239, plus £69 for equipment.

Snow was unbelievable.  First day we had brilliant clear skies and sun, but the second and third days were complete white-outs.  Couldn't see more than 10-15ft ahead but was skill skiable.  Left us with brilliant snow for the rest of the week with off-piste being seriously deep powder!

Cost of eating out/drink was quite dear.  A vodka and mixer in one of the main nightclubs (Malaysia) will cost you 7euro and a large beer (40cl) is 5euro.  From being in Andorra last year it was quite a jump in price but still definitely worth it for the vast range of slopes and the quality of the snow.

Tough to think it will be another year at least before we're back.

seafoid

Quote from: Just Puck It on January 04, 2013, 05:50:20 PM
Back two weeks ago from Val Thorens - went from the 15th to 22nd December.  Flew to Geneva from Belfast for about £90 and £90 again for the transfers.  Took about 3.5 hours.  Only four of us went and stayed in Temple du Soilel which is right on the piste.  Think we got accommodation and our ski pass for £239, plus £69 for equipment.

Snow was unbelievable.  First day we had brilliant clear skies and sun, but the second and third days were complete white-outs.  Couldn't see more than 10-15ft ahead but was skill skiable.  Left us with brilliant snow for the rest of the week with off-piste being seriously deep powder!

Cost of eating out/drink was quite dear.  A vodka and mixer in one of the main nightclubs (Malaysia) will cost you 7euro and a large beer (40cl) is 5euro.  From being in Andorra last year it wj7as quite a jump in price but still definitely worth it for the vast range of slopes and the quality of the snow.

Tough to think it will be another year at least before we're back.
Food in the resorts tends to be expensive and poor enough quality in my experience . I would prefer sandwiches to paying 15eur for a burger. But the snow this week was grand and powdery .

Orior

Just back from 4 days skiing in Austria.  Spent time at Postalm and Gosau. Snow was very good.

What's happening in the boring world?

Rois

Just booked ski flights there for £100 return from Belfast.

Anyone booked yet? 

Orior

Quote from: Rois on October 16, 2013, 04:52:56 PM

Anyone booked yet?

The powers that be are thinking of Norway this year. Have you a spare couple of hundred pounds you can lend me?

armaghniac

I never go on the Piste.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

haranguerer

Boarding these days Rois, went with a loada boarders to Livignio last year, and never looked back!

Think we'll probably head the same spot this year, but havent looked at anything yet, could do with sorting it soon.

Where you for?

Rois

Quote from: Orior on October 16, 2013, 05:30:00 PM
Quote from: Rois on October 16, 2013, 04:52:56 PM

Anyone booked yet?

The powers that be are thinking of Norway this year. Have you a spare couple of hundred pounds you can lend me?
Nice! I have heard of Geilo but only know it is dear. Booked a holiday once with Absolutely Group who did hols there.

Boarding??? Hard to beat Livigno though.

We are off to Chamonix, getting married there in summer so it seemed appropriate. Catered chalet, not sure I could do anything else these days, getting old.

WeeDonns

Heading to Thailand for 3 weeks in November, so probably won't get skiing(Boarding) Jan or Feb. Thinking of going March/April.
Has anyone been in April? Suggestions of snow sure resorts would be appreciated... anywhere with a glacier i suppose

We've always went through a tour operator, Saturday - Saturday but if we were to book ourselves, there are some good deals on flights Thursday-Thursday. Would many of you have done this before? I'm just thinking about difficulty in booking accommodation as most places like to rent Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun

Also - any teachers here? when are the Schools off for Easter (Sunday 20th April)? is it the week after normally? That might be very late :-[

Rois

I always do my own these days.

Go to www.chaletsdirect.com and post up your requirements on their Solutions Room - if you're pretty flexible, you'll find a lot of chalet owners are too, and they will gladly take you, but maybe not until a bit closer to the time of booking.

If you can avoid Easter, you will find lots of flexibility. 

seafoid

Ischgl in austria is mad for the apres ski.

seafoid

The snow is very poor this week in Switz. Only 33% of the usual cover. Last year was way better.