Down Hurling Manager

Started by Bacon, August 29, 2007, 06:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon

Gerard Coulter has resigned as Down hurling manager and the county are on the look out for a new one. Any suggestions?

I think we need someone from outside the county with a bit of experience. What about Jingo? We could do worse. It'll be hard to get someone to travel from Munster to Down for training so I can't see us attracting a decent southern coach.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

MadMick007

I don't think there will be too many people jumping at this job! Players showed very poor commitment to the County Hurling Team this year and for what reasons remains a mystery. For years Down Hurlers loved to complain about how they got treated and this year they were treated better than before. Maybe Gerard had not got the right skills for the job or maybe it was because he was not a "neutral" but I believe Gerard was fair and maybe he was harder on his own club players than others.

where do we go from here? Firstly the subcommittee needs to dig deeper than they did last year and be a bit more transparent as there was issues regarding who was shortlisted and interviewed.

I agree in that we need to go possibly outside of the county, Jingo or Seamus Elliot are names from Antrim. I like the way Dublin Hurling is developing so some one instrumental in this could be an option, new roads make this a viable.
who ever is given the post must be a strong and good communicator who is up to speed with the latest training techniques

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Gerard was on a hiding to nothing this year particularly when Paul Branniff got injured. To be honest with Down in Div 2 next year and the likelihood of Branniff's return then I'd say there willl be a number of people interested in taking the post. Little doubt that with the right organisation and commitment that Down could win a Christy Ring.

I expect Seamus Elliott to be in the running for this job maybe a double act with Gerard Monan? Agree that a Dublin option would be good and that avenue should be explored but still think the two lads above are the favourites.

Balboa

Quote from: Pull Hard Hes No Relation on August 29, 2007, 10:45:44 AM
Gerard was on a hiding to nothing this year particularly when Paul Branniff got injured. To be honest with Down in Div 2 next year and the likelihood of Branniff's return then I'd say there willl be a number of people interested in taking the post. Little doubt that with the right organisation and commitment that Down could win a Christy Ring.

I expect Seamus Elliott to be in the running for this job maybe a double act with Gerard Monan? Agree that a Dublin option would be good and that avenue should be explored but still think the two lads above are the favourites.

Could youse afford Seamus Elliott???

I've heard that too Balboa! He did a couple of sessions with them last year so he could be brought in as a "part time" coach in addition to the likes of Gerard Monan or another Down appointee who would act as the manager

MadMick007

I dont believe the myth about Seamus Elliot and money. He travelled to Down training a few times last year and money was not an issue.
Has the subcommittee been established? I hope it is not like last years as they are not in touch with who's who in the Hurling world. For goodness sake our Hurling Board Chairman did not even know who Frankie Quin was when he was at a recent match!
Pull Hard are you on it!
Not sure if Ballygalget would part with Gerard Monan and sometimes too many cooks spoil the broth.
I think we need to go outside the county. I also believe the players in Down are good enough to win a Christy Ring with ease and that there is a team there

MadMick007

Totally agrree five times. This is why the county Board need to take charge and possibly do away with Hurling Board so as they can be completely responsible. Maybe there needs to be a change of chairman as well as a new Manager ??? :-\

Pull Hard are you on it!  :o

Not that I know of! Reality was that last year the decision was made before the "committee" even met really - there is plenty of time to get a manager in and it is imperative for Down hurling that the right man gets the job in terms of "enthusing" the players and getting the support of the clubs.

IMO the committee that is set up to find the new manager has to include a rep from each of the three Ards clubs because getting their total co-operation is a must if the senior manager is to make a success of the Down team. If each club has had an input into the appointment then the very least we can expect is that they co-operate with who they appoint during the year.

I think you are being a bit harsh on the Hurling Chairman, genuine hurling man but I think his hands are tied on a lot of things - my biggest concern is the fixtures secretary for underage hurling who is a complete "binlid" and is highly divisive at both meetings and in his dealings with clubs. While our other major issue is our non existent secretary but it appears he is leaving anyway - on the positive side a big get well soon to our hurling treasurer, a gentleman and a dedicated hurling man even if he won't let you out of the dressing room until all jerseys and socks etc were handed back!

MadMick007

The county board have a difficult job on their hands in getting the new Manager. They have to get someone who will lift Down Hurling out of the staedy decline and an easy pick will do more harm than good. Down will soon be ranked 3rd in Ulster if not already so and soon they could be in 4th with the efforts of Armagh. Its a big job to fill and I hope as you say Pull Hard that they will take time to make the right decission. I think they should ask Croke Park for assistance in filling this post. The extra money given to the counties as a result of soccer and rugby games could be used to cover expenses if there was travel involved.

johnneycool

Quote from: MadMick007 on August 29, 2007, 12:46:09 PM

The county board have a difficult job on their hands in getting the new Manager. They have to get someone who will lift Down Hurling out of the staedy decline and an easy pick will do more harm than good. Down will soon be ranked 3rd in Ulster if not already so and soon they could be in 4th with the efforts of Armagh. Its a big job to fill and I hope as you say Pull Hard that they will take time to make the right decission. I think they should ask Croke Park for assistance in filling this post. The extra money given to the counties as a result of soccer and rugby games could be used to cover expenses if there was travel involved.

The county board sub committee had little or no say last year in who was the manager, that was decided behind closed doors long before any so called shortlist was drawn up. The meeting in Strangford was a formality. The selection of that same committee was rare to say the least with the only lad from the Ards on it never involved in hurling at any sort of a serious level.
IMO Gerard needed to get someone along with him who was aware of all the modern training technicques in both hurling and fitness. He failed to do both and was lucky to get the lad he did on the fitness front get even though he was too late to get the groundwork done during the winter. With some shambolic training sessions he lost the players and attendance started dwindling. I witnessed one of the sessions and it was pedestrian to say the least. The defeats only snowballed the whole player malais.

Seamus Elliott may be the preferred solution and with the sale of Newcastle in the offing we should just about afford him but there'll not be any change left, isn't that right Bilboa ballbag??
What's the craic with Joe Hayes the former Tipp midfielder living in south down somewhere. Is there any truth in that?

slow corner back

Quote from: johnneycool on August 29, 2007, 05:20:16 PM
Quote from: MadMick007 on August 29, 2007, 12:46:09 PM

What's the craic with Joe Hayes the former Tipp midfielder living in south down somewhere. Is there any truth in that?

About eight to ten years ago Joe Hayes was living and playing for monaghan hurlers, not sure if he still lives there.

Bacon

This used to be a discussion borad that we all enjoyed. The threat was started as a discussion on who would make the best repalacement for Gerard Coulter (a hurling man who gave his best in difficult circumstances when no one else would step forward.).

It is not an opportunity to attack fellow Gaels. If you want to do that, have the balls to to it to their face using your own name. This threat is locked.

Balboa

Bacon

Unlocked. Now let's have some sensible discussion. Morale was poor in the senior camp from the start of the year and everybody new they would get serious hidings in the NHL. Gerard is a good guy but the attendance as some of the squad sessions was shocking. Fair play to him for seeing it through, many would have walked. One night in Portaferry 6 turned up.
I'm convinced we need a big name from the south. Someone who is prepared to commit for 3 years for the love of hurling. Croke Park should be funding full time coaches from the south to come north and work as senior county managers as well as in the schools and clubs.
Is there any chance of Davy Fitz being interested? He's always had a soft spot for Ulster and said he'd be keen on management when he retires. Maybe he still sees a future as No 1 in Clare under the new team down there?

Balboa

Quote from: Bacon on August 30, 2007, 10:20:03 AM
Unlocked. Now let's have some sensible discussion. Morale was poor in the senior camp from the start of the year and everybody new they would get serious hidings in the NHL. Gerard is a good guy but the attendance as some of the squad sessions was shocking. Fair play to him for seeing it through, many would have walked. One night in Portaferry 6 turned up.
I'm convinced we need a big name from the south. Someone who is prepared to commit for 3 years for the love of hurling. Croke Park should be funding full time coaches from the south to come north and work as senior county managers as well as in the schools and clubs.
Is there any chance of Davy Fitz being interested? He's always had a soft spot for Ulster and said he'd be keen on management when he retires. Maybe he still sees a future as No 1 in Clare under the new team down there?

The problem will always be geography for Down and lesser extent Antrim, so you will probably have to look within Ulster. Davy Fitz will be Clare manager in the next year or two i would imagine.