Down Hurling Manager

Started by Bacon, August 29, 2007, 06:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon

You are right but he might want to try his hand elsewhere first. There's cheap flights from Shannon to Belfast. He could be in Ballycran in an hour.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Balboa

Quote from: Bacon on August 30, 2007, 10:38:28 AM
You are right but he might want to try his hand elsewhere first. There's cheap flights from Shannon to Belfast. He could be in Ballycran in an hour.
He may see that he has done his apprenticeship of sorts with Limerick in Fitzgibbon though.

Lecale2

Didn't he take Clare u21s as well?

Balboa

Quote from: Lecale2 on August 30, 2007, 10:53:28 AM
Didn't he take Clare u21s as well?

He did i think because he got a suspension out of it after a match with Tipp i think !

MadMick007

Short list to date

Seamus Elliot
Gerard Monan
Joe Hayes
Davey Fitz
Tony Considine
Someone from Leinster!

Any others and who is favourite.

Lecale2

Jingo McKernan was mentioned as well.

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Davy Fitz took the Clare U21s about three years ago and caused "murder" in Cusask Park - there was a free for all in the match with the bould Fitzy in the middle of it! In saying that though the guy lives for hurling and his passion is clear to see while he obviously is a good coach as his result with LIT show.

To be honest though can't see him going for it, he will want to be back for Clare this year and catch Ring for the most championship games played by a senior hurler and secure his place in history along with the fact that he loves hurling for Clare (whether you like him or loath him he is a great performer).

Personally I think that some link up between Gerard Monan and Seamus Elliott is the most likely outcome, don't see Jongo as adding any value whatsoever. Ideally someone like Paudie O'Neill from Dublin would be great, top coach and has had a lot of involvement in the current underage structures in Dublin. The senior management is important but what we really need is a real startegy to develop hurling in the county and the reality is that our full time personnel are not up to the job, the most energetic of them is a pensioner for god's sake and while Paddy is a good coach and a great hurling man he is no strategist!

Newry went to the HDC about three years ago looking for funding for a hurling development officer for the Newry and Warrenpoint area to try and promote the game in that massive catcement area, got a great response but the money was diverted to pay for these full time officers - anyone at juvenile level seeing the benefit?

Yes the senior manager needs sorting and let's get the right man this time with the full "buy in" of the three Ards clubs but lets remember that our U16s were beaten by the likes of Roscommon and Kildare at the weekend - we need to resolve our underage structures asap or we will be struggling to win the Nicky Rackard in the future never mind the Christy Ring

johnneycool

It's all pipe dreams, these Managers coming up from the south to take Down. There's no way in gods earth Tony Considine, Davy Fitz or anyone is going to travel the length of Ireland to manage a Div 2 outfit.
Dinny Cahill did do it for Antrim but the way the championship was structured then he was almost guaranteed a day in Croke park provided he won out in Ulster which he duly did.
We need to get in touch with reality.

MadMick007

JC while I agree its pipe dreams for the likes of Davey Fitz or Considine coming to Down there is no reason why with support from Croke Park and Paudie Butler that someone with the right skills cannot be sourced from Dublin or surrounding counties. Paudie B has been to Down on a number of occasions and was impressed with a number of things, one being peoples passion for the game. He should be consulted. We could even bring in the Ulster Council and the likes of Frankie Quinn who nows allot of whats going on in Ulster hurling. We can no longer just accept the norm, we need to think different and raise our expectations.
I agree with PHHNR in that the Hurling Coaches in Down are not up to the job and that there is no plan or direction. When will these posts be advertised again or are they a job for life?
Down need to appoint a full time Hurling Development Coordinator, the likes of Paul Blaney, Ronan Sheehan etc who have all the skills and contacts to pull the thing together.

peter griffin

theskull1

Quote from: MadMick007 on August 30, 2007, 12:42:27 PM
I agree with PHHNR in that the Hurling Coaches in Down are not up to the job and that there is no plan or direction. When will these posts be advertised again or are they a job for life?
Down need to appoint a full time Hurling Development Coordinator, the likes of Paul Blaney, Ronan Sheehan etc who have all the skills and contacts to pull the thing together.

Brian Cody could not change the fortunes in any county without having passionate committed players along with quality coaching taking place through every age group in as many clubs as possible to get the right caliber of player for the county team. In some ways he has one of the easiest jobs in hurling.  So until coaching standards and commitment and the levels of passion for the sport improve throughout then the county managers position in down (same in antrim imo) is a poisoned chalice. I don't think there will be too may queuing up for it
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Lecale2

There's an ad in today's Irish News - County Hurling Manager required.

the colonel

i aslso heard jingo mckernan was interested
the difference between success and failure is energy

Silky

Is it not a bit unusual putting an ad in the paper? I can't remember seeing that for a county team before.
There not lookin for someone from the South if the ads only in the Irish News.

nrico2006

QuoteWhat's the craic with Joe Hayes the former Tipp midfielder living in south down somewhere. Is there any truth in that?

He lives in Monaghan and took the Tyrone team two years ago for a bit before he had to go for a wee stay in Newry!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'