Down Hurling Manager

Started by Bacon, August 29, 2007, 06:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthArmaghBandit

No need to broadcast that information.

Colonel Cool

Until the best players in the county are prepared to commit to what's required at inter county level it won't matter who you appoint. There's no point appointing an outsider just because they are an outsider. They have to bring something useful to the job. Now that they have advertised it will be interesting to see who comes forward. I hate to sound depressed but I don't have high hopes of a quality field.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

johnneycool

Quote from: Colonel Cool on September 27, 2007, 08:24:18 AM
Until the best players in the county are prepared to commit to what's required at inter county level it won't matter who you appoint. There's no point appointing an outsider just because they are an outsider. They have to bring something useful to the job. Now that they have advertised it will be interesting to see who comes forward. I hate to sound depressed but I don't have high hopes of a quality field.

How will the Down junior team playing in Div 4 of the NHL affect the senior team in Div2?

Say the likes of Ciaran Courtney or Finty Conway decided to play in Div4 rather than Div2, what would the county board do there?

MrTaylor

What about that likeable guy Rogie (not the one from UTV that charges a fortune to GAA clubs for his services) who had so much success with Armagh? 

nrico2006

QuoteWhat about that likeable guy Rogie (not the one from UTV that charges a fortune to GAA clubs for his services) who had so much success with Armagh? 

UTV, you sure you don't mean Logie?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tony Baloney

Aye he means Logie on UTV and Ger Rogan of Antrim fame and brother of heavyweight boxer and actor Martin Rogan http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1496311/!

Balboa

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 28, 2007, 01:24:59 PM
Aye he means Logie on UTV and Ger Rogan of Antrim fame and brother of heavyweight boxer and actor Martin Rogan http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1496311/!

I think you are stretching it a bit there Anthony, when big Rogie turned pro he bought himself a bright yellow Volvo,he used to cruise around Belfast thinking he was the dogs gonads.

Tony Baloney

i saw Big Rogie the other week in a film called Man and Dog. He played a hanechman/bodyguard so I'm sure he didn't have to ask much! He was also in a show on BBC1 a couple of years ago about these lads scamming in West Belfast I'm sure someone knows the name of it Pulling Moves. Yer man Ciaran McMenamin and thon speccy fella from the UTV Broadband ads was in it (he was in Man and Dog too!) - I think he is from up West too.

the colonel

the difference between success and failure is energy

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Johnny cool - from what I hear big Kieran and Finty intend playing with the Seniors if selected rather than the Juniors.

IMO Gerard Monan should be given the opportunity to take the county team and bring in an outside man as coach to assist such as Paudie O Neill from Dublin or Seamus Elliott. Whatever we do we need to get it right this time as we can't afford another year of slippage, need total commitment from the clubs and the players to deliver the Christy Ring that is clearly within the abiltiy of this team to win.

Lecale2

Quote from: Pull Hard Hes No Relation on October 02, 2007, 05:47:00 PM
Johnny cool - from what I hear big Kieran and Finty intend playing with the Seniors if selected rather than the Juniors.

IMO Gerard Monan should be given the opportunity to take the county team and bring in an outside man as coach to assist such as Paudie O Neill from Dublin or Seamus Elliott. Whatever we do we need to get it right this time as we can't afford another year of slippage, need total commitment from the clubs and the players to deliver the Christy Ring that is clearly within the abiltiy of this team to win.
I was talking to Paddy Braniff on Sunday and put that question to him. He said the players will have the choice, which is sensible. Gerard Monan has a track record and I agree that he would be a good choice but would he be acceptable to Ballycran & Portaferry?

johnneycool

The word on the streets is that Jingo McKernan has got the job.

Maybe Colonel Cool or Bacon can confrim or deny?

Lecale2

Quote from: johnneycool on October 08, 2007, 03:56:19 PM

This is the first I've heard this but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I always suspected the County Board would go for Jingo if he was available. I don't for one miute believe he is the best man for the job, you only have to look at the threads on the old board when he was appointed to Antrim, but I think he meets the criteria the Board set:

1. He's an outsider. I'm convinced they wanted someone from outside the Ards who the 3 senior clubs could live with.
2. He has a record in inter county hurling management (not a great one but a record all the same)
3. He's affordable. No big expenses from the South for Jingo

Colonel Cool & Bacon or Pull Hard will have the inside track I'd say but I'd guess the word on the street is right.

Bacon

No appointment has been made yet.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

johnneycool

Quote from: Bacon on October 09, 2007, 08:09:14 AM

No appointment has been made yet.

Officially or unofficially?

Who makes the call anyway?

Mickey Keenan?