should we just sell croker to the fai and build a new stadium in Athlone

Started by small white mayoman, August 21, 2007, 04:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

small white mayoman

just wondering should the gaa sell croke park to the fai and then build a new stadium in Athlone, it would be afull handy for all us culchies to get to the matches jesus even the Kerry and Cork boyos might get off their arses and go to a semi final.Nothing would give me more satisfaction than to see 75000 Jackeens in Athlone following their team.
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

we are blue... etc

Even better, put the money into proper development of Thurles/Portlaoise/Cork/Navan/wherever into proper 40k+ venues where AI semi-finals etc. can be held. I'm sure there'd also be plenty of interested tenants.

Gnevin

Quote from: we are blue... etc on August 21, 2007, 04:36:21 PM
Even better, put the money into proper development of Thurles/Portlaoise/Cork/Navan/wherever into proper 40k+ venues where AI semi-finals etc. can be held. I'm sure there'd also be plenty of interested tenants.
Sure why waste money on people who aren't that interested in our games would be better spent on coaching .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

we are blue... etc

Quote from: Gnevin on August 21, 2007, 04:39:24 PM
Sure why waste money on people who aren't that interested in our games would be better spent on coaching .

What people?

Gnevin

Quote from: we are blue... etc on August 21, 2007, 04:41:51 PM

What people?
The people who cant be bothered to travel to Croker , sure you could have a All-Ireland Semi final in Kerry and still only get 5k fans
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

we are blue... etc

Quote from: Gnevin on August 21, 2007, 04:43:10 PM

What people?
The people who cant be bothered to travel to Croker , sure you could have a All-Ireland Semi final in Kerry and still only get 5k fans

You reckon that is a realistic scenario?? Explain....

Gnevin

Quote from: we are blue... etc on August 21, 2007, 04:58:53 PM

What people?

You reckon that is a realistic scenario?? Explain....
Well i'm sure the GAA would charge an extra tenner as its a Semi Final game and sure that would break the lot of them and lets not forget the price of petrol .

The Real Laoislad

There is no way 75k Dubs would travel outside of The Pale if Croke Park was somewhere down the country
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Frank Casey

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 21, 2007, 06:55:23 PM
There is no way 75k Dubs would travel outside of The Pale if Croke Park was somewhere down the country

See www.aaroadwatch.ie for route planner. They'l get lost otherwise and delay the match again.

Do ye remember that lad who lived long side the school but was always late?
KERRY 3:7

pintsofguinness

What people?

Sure the dubs are only interested in 2 or 3 county games in july and august.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

snatter

Quote from: small white mayoman on August 21, 2007, 04:31:39 PM
just wondering should the gaa sell croke park to the fai and then build a new stadium in Athlone, it would be afull handy for all us culchies to get to the matches jesus even the Kerry and Cork boyos might get off their arses and go to a semi final.Nothing would give me more satisfaction than to see 75000 Jackeens in Athlone following their team.

Sell it to the Govt to develop as true national stadium.
All 3 sports have to pay same one-off capital contribution and the same rental.
We get our money back, and still have access for big games when we need them.
And we no longer subsidise IRFU / FAI when they make more money per game out of croker than we do.

Maybe develop one other high class 40k stadium thats it.
Take money and spend on urban development of new clubs / coaching.

Been saying it on here for years.

Frank Casey

Sure couldn't we build it in Tralee. We could fill it for the rose ball and the 5,000 Kerrymen going to the semis would let plenty room for any Dubs that could find the place.
KERRY 3:7

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 21, 2007, 07:02:38 PM

What people?

Sure the dubs are only interested in 2 or 3 county games in july and august.
At least we are intertested in them unlike Cork, Sligo, Kerry and Laois too name a few

Gnevin

Quote from: snatter on August 21, 2007, 07:14:32 PM
Quote from: small white mayoman on August 21, 2007, 04:31:39 PM

Sell it to the Govt to develop as true national stadium.
All 3 sports have to pay same one-off capital contribution and the same rental.
We get our money back, and still have access for big games when we need them.
And we no longer subsidise IRFU / FAI when they make more money per game out of croker than we do.

Maybe develop one other high class 40k stadium thats it.
Take money and spend on urban development of new clubs / coaching.

Been saying it on here for years.
3 sports so Hurling , Football and Ruby or Soccer?