should we just sell croker to the fai and build a new stadium in Athlone

Started by small white mayoman, August 21, 2007, 04:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galla

Gnevin I think you need to get a life. Not every post on this forum has to be turned into a discussion of 'Arent Dublin great' . The question is about building a new stadium not about how many dublin 'fans' will be there on sunday

Gnevin

Quote from: galla on August 22, 2007, 12:01:05 AM
Gnevin I think you need to get a life. Not every post on this forum has to be turned into a discussion of 'Arent Dublin great' . The question is about building a new stadium not about how many dublin 'fans@ will be there on sunday
But we are great !
;D :P
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Pangurban

Good idea to sell Croker and build on green field site, with Coach and Car parking facilities. As to the location, while Athlone is a reasonable proposal geographically, the likelihood that the majority of major fixtures in the forseeable future will involve teams from Ulster, the Maze near Lisburn should be considered, there may even be a large grant available for such a prestigious development. It would also facilitate the stated aim of the association to reach out and embrace our separated brethren. In ten years time we could possible witness Minister Poots of the DUP, throwing in the Ball at a Down V Cavan AI. final. Now theres a dream

ludermor

Gnevin,
you are the single greastest source of badwill towards dublin fans on this site. At least Tankie is on a constant obvious wind up but you are just a bitter insecure little man. Get over yourself and be happy that your team is in the semi finals and you have something to cheer about

AbbeySider

Quote from: Gnevin on August 21, 2007, 06:53:37 PM
Quote from: we are blue... etc on August 21, 2007, 04:58:53 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on August 21, 2007, 04:43:10 PM
Quote from: we are blue... etc on August 21, 2007, 04:41:51 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on August 21, 2007, 04:39:24 PM
Quote from: we are blue... etc on August 21, 2007, 04:36:21 PM
Even better, put the money into proper development of Thurles/Portlaoise/Cork/Navan/wherever into proper 40k+ venues where AI semi-finals etc. can be held. I'm sure there'd also be plenty of interested tenants.
Sure why waste money on people who aren't that interested in our games would be better spent on coaching .

What people?
The people who cant be bothered to travel to Croker , sure you could have a All-Ireland Semi final in Kerry and still only get 5k fans

You reckon that is a realistic scenario?? Explain....
Well i'm sure the GAA would charge an extra tenner as its a Semi Final game and sure that would break the lot of them and lets not forget the price of petrol .

In all fairness Gnevin, if Corke Park existed outside of Dublin, the dubs wouldnt travel to the games in the hoards that they travel in to Croke Park.

There was an All-Ireland semi final reply in Thurlus where Dublin were playing Kerry and most of ye got lost on the way down because you didnt know how long it would take to get there.

And those slights and comments about an extra tenner breaking people from down the country and the price of petrol etc are a disgrace. There is more poverty and crime in Dublin per cap than in the rest of the country. So how dare you make fun of people because of what they may or may not be able to afford. Sort out your own problems before you go around saying that people cant afford to travel and that a dearer ticket is the reason people dont travel to our shit hole of a capital.

Croke Park might be in Dublin but you dont own it, you triumphant Dublin w**ker

his holiness nb

Personally it would kill me to see Croke Park sold to the FAI, not that they could ever afford it.
Too much history involved.
BUT, I wouldnt object to a stadium in Athlone of somewhere similar if it did happen.
Of course you wouldnt get 75,000 Dublin travelling each time, but they would still travel in numbers.
And to be honest, I couldnt give a f**k who else from Dublin travelled, I would.
Ask me holy bollix

Romeo

Quote from: AbbeySider on August 22, 2007, 09:36:39 AM
Even better, put the money into proper development of Thurles/Portlaoise/Cork/Navan/wherever into proper 40k+ venues where AI semi-finals etc. can be held. I'm sure there'd also be plenty of interested tenants.
Sure why waste money on people who aren't that interested in our games would be better spent on coaching .

What people?
The people who cant be bothered to travel to Croker , sure you could have a All-Ireland Semi final in Kerry and still only get 5k fans

Well i'm sure the GAA would charge an extra tenner as its a Semi Final game and sure that would break the lot of them and lets not forget the price of petrol .

In all fairness Gnevin, if Corke Park existed outside of Dublin, the dubs wouldnt travel to the games in the hoards that they travel in to Croke Park.

There was an All-Ireland semi final reply in Thurlus where Dublin were playing Kerry and most of ye got lost on the way down because you didnt know how long it would take to get there.

And those slights and comments about an extra tenner breaking people from down the country and the price of petrol etc are a disgrace. There is more poverty and crime in Dublin per cap than in the rest of the country. So how dare you make fun of people because of what they may or may not be able to afford. Sort out your own problems before you go around saying that people cant afford to travel and that a dearer ticket is the reason people dont travel to our shit hole of a capital.

Speaking of bitter little men................. U try to prove someone's bitter by being 10 times as bitter yourself???

AbbeySider

Quote from: AbbeySider
.... There is more poverty and crime in Dublin per cap than in the rest of the country....
... to our shit hole of a capital.
... tryumphant Dublin w**ker

Quote from: Romeo on August 22, 2007, 11:16:10 AM
Speaking of bitter little men................. U try to prove someone's bitter by being 10 times as bitter yourself???

Not bitter Romeo, just very angered by Gnevin and his pompous crap

orangeman

Gnevin

Quote from: AbbeySider on August 22, 2007, 09:36:39 AM

What people?

I believe  it was a quarter final and the game was a sell out and their was far more Dubs than Kerry fan. I'm just saying people in Cork etc must be on the breadline ,their was days of moaning about an extra tenner.

Did i claim to own it ? No i believe the assocation owns it . Whats with the insecurity?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Onlooker

The FAI do'nt buy grounds.  They sell them - Milltown, Flower Lodge etc.

Gnevin

Quote from: ludermor on August 22, 2007, 08:13:05 AM
Gnevin,
you are the single greastest source of badwill towards dublin fans on this site. At least Tankie is on a constant obvious wind up but you are just a bitter insecure little man. Get over yourself and be happy that your team is in the semi finals and you have something to cheer about
Would you ever f**k off , you lot need no excuse to have bad will towards the Dubs you moan if players point, you tar every fan with the one bush you accuse us of all being knackers coke heads and scumbags and when i point out the bullshit excuses some people offer for getting less than 40k too a AI semi i'm bitter insecure little man ? Me thinks the accusers don't like to be accused

lynchbhoy

I suppose a central stadium would be geographically better for the rest of the country
but firstly I would have it closer to Mullingar than Athlone.

I think that real GAA sports fans dont really care that they have to travel to Dublin to attend their county's games - its a bit of a pilgrimage after all. I know a lot of northern folk would prefer to go to croker than clones or Celtic Park in Derry city for example.

the people it is hardest for are the Kerry , West Cork and possibly North Donegal folk - there are no decent direct roads down to Dublin from North Donegal and going via Omagh & monaghan is a joke.

I just dont think there would be enough interest in GAA people to justify building a new stadium in the middle of Ireland let alone selling Croker.
The only aspect that has slightly changed this recently imo is that the qualifiers have meant there are more games than what people in kildare, Leitrim, Carlow and rosommon were used to . This might change the desire to travel up to dublin.
But i'd leave it as it is.

Gnevin

Quote from: Onlooker on August 22, 2007, 11:42:33 AM
The FAI do'nt buy grounds.  They sell them - Milltown, Flower Lodge etc.
Grounds are going concerns don't make money ,if the GAA continue to rent they will get a lot more out of it

small white mayoman

Quote from: orangeman on August 22, 2007, 11:38:09 AM
You're taking the piss on this thread !

i was taking the piss about selling croke park,but something needs to be done about developing other grounds around the provinces so that they can hold crowds of 40 to 50 thousand.I know its every players dream to play in croke park but the place needs to be nealry full to generate a real athmosphere, look at thurles for the hurling the athmosphere is unreal i'm sure the hurlers would rather play there that in croke park with a crowd of 35 to 40 thousand
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007