The Old Derry / Londonderry name problem

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, August 20, 2007, 11:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Roger on September 30, 2009, 04:14:06 PM
Quote from: Main Street on September 30, 2009, 03:59:50 PM
Undeniably, a Klu Klux Klanner would have the right to consider themselves American.
Meaning?
It isn't all about you, I was more replying to

"if you are proud to be Irish then how could you be British first and foremost".

Subjective opinions about a persons beliefs or culture don't diminish their right to a nationality, neither would subjective opinion about a persons Britishness conflicting with their claimed Irishness have any validity, imo.

boojangles

Quote from: Olaf on September 30, 2009, 02:10:21 PM
Quote from: boojangles on September 30, 2009, 01:50:24 PM
Quote from: Roger on September 30, 2009, 10:37:01 AM
Quote from: boojangles on September 30, 2009, 10:18:11 AM
Quote from: Olaf on September 30, 2009, 09:59:55 AM
Quote from: boojangles on September 29, 2009, 10:49:24 PM
Quote from: Olaf on September 29, 2009, 10:26:02 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 29, 2009, 10:14:25 PM
QuoteYou are of purest Gaelic blood?

I imagine not, who is? Whatever blood I have and whereever those ancestors came from, I now identify with Ireland and not the places they came from.

QuoteI am British first and foremost with the distinction of beng born in Ireland from a line of people born in Ireland dating back hundreds of years and am proud to be Irish.

Stop talking nonsense, if you are proud to be Irish then how could you be British first and foremost.

Because they are not mutually exclusive identities and you can therefore value one identity as having more significance to you than the other should you so wish.

Mutually exclusive identities-Such shite. Proud to be Irish but British first and foremost. Confused or what?

The Good Friday Agreement is oft quoted in these parts.

It explicitly provides for what you describe as the brown stuff , should the person feel so inclined.  I think you'll find about 1 million of these type of persons  knocking about Northern Ireland.

This principle was accepted by the vast majority of Nationalist people in Northern Ireland at the time who presumably didn't find it all that confusing .

Dress it up anyway you want but behind it all the Million? people you refer to are British. Irish people don't believe in the Union and don't want the Union.Simple.
I'm not sure if that is just arrogance or plain old blinkered bigotry.

I think going on your views on the Nelson thread,You would be the best judge if whats bigotry. Wise Up will ya,times have changed and the days of Double Standards can no longer be tolerated. Unionists cannot have their cake and eat it.

What do you mean by this?

If it refers to the ability of Unionists to legitimately refer to themselves  as Irish and British those days are here .

Sorry I didnt actually mean that.I went off topic a bit in reference to the Nelson thread.I was referring to the fact that Nationalists/GAA are expected to bend over backwards to please Unionists/DUP/Sports Minister yet the same standards are not consistently expected from Unionists/Loyalists/Orange Order/Soccer clubs.
I have no problem with people calling themselves British and Irish,I just think it is a bit of a cop-out TBH.Maybe British and Northern Irish but not British and Irish.Thats my opinion.

Eoghan Mag

Quote from: Roger on September 19, 2009, 12:55:31 AM
Quote from: Eoghan Mag on September 19, 2009, 12:43:24 AM
I think a lot of you are coming at this name thing from the wrong angle. Did any of you look to check up on where the name London comes from? It is from a Celtic God Lugh or Lughaidh Lamhfhada. Therefore if either Londonderry or Derry is used both are Celtic in origin and the Anglo-Saxons are all merely the subjects of the powerful Celts!! Next time someone insists on Londonderry throw this fact at them and watch 'em squirm!  ;D
All over the British isles names derive from such origins.  Shankill? Belfast? London? Don't think many squirm too much.

Where the f*ck are the British Isles?

boojangles

Quote from: Eoghan Mag on September 30, 2009, 05:58:03 PM
Quote from: Roger on September 19, 2009, 12:55:31 AM
Quote from: Eoghan Mag on September 19, 2009, 12:43:24 AM
I think a lot of you are coming at this name thing from the wrong angle. Did any of you look to check up on where the name London comes from? It is from a Celtic God Lugh or Lughaidh Lamhfhada. Therefore if either Londonderry or Derry is used both are Celtic in origin and the Anglo-Saxons are all merely the subjects of the powerful Celts!! Next time someone insists on Londonderry throw this fact at them and watch 'em squirm!  ;D
All over the British isles names derive from such origins.  Shankill? Belfast? London? Don't think many squirm too much.

Where the f*ck are the British Isles?

Roger informed me last night that whether we like it or not,Ireland is part of the British Isles. :D :D :D :D :D
You can only laugh really.Deluded I think.

Olaf

Quote from: Main Street on September 30, 2009, 05:22:10 PM
Quote from: Roger on September 30, 2009, 04:14:06 PM
Quote from: Main Street on September 30, 2009, 03:59:50 PM
Undeniably, a Klu Klux Klanner would have the right to consider themselves American.
Meaning?
It isn't all about you, I was more replying to

"if you are proud to be Irish then how could you be British first and foremost".

Subjective opinions about a persons beliefs or culture don't diminish their right to a nationality,

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Actually I believe Olaf and Roger can claim to be both British & Irish but based on the fact they where born in the United Kingdom or of recent British decent. But claiming to be British because of an Imperialist, colonial, outdated, ignorant, wrong label such as the British Isles is stupid, because Ireland has never been a in a group of Islands called the British Isles, even when it was the conqured by a foreign and cruel neighbour to become the Lordship of Ireland, the Kingdom of Ireland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Olaf

Quote from: boojangles on September 30, 2009, 05:44:18 PM
Quote from: Olaf on September 30, 2009, 02:10:21 PM
Quote from: boojangles on September 30, 2009, 01:50:24 PM
Quote from: Roger on September 30, 2009, 10:37:01 AM
Quote from: boojangles on September 30, 2009, 10:18:11 AM
Quote from: Olaf on September 30, 2009, 09:59:55 AM
Quote from: boojangles on September 29, 2009, 10:49:24 PM
Quote from: Olaf on September 29, 2009, 10:26:02 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 29, 2009, 10:14:25 PM
QuoteYou are of purest Gaelic blood?

I imagine not, who is? Whatever blood I have and whereever those ancestors came from, I now identify with Ireland and not the places they came from.

QuoteI am British first and foremost with the distinction of beng born in Ireland from a line of people born in Ireland dating back hundreds of years and am proud to be Irish.

Stop talking nonsense, if you are proud to be Irish then how could you be British first and foremost.

Because they are not mutually exclusive identities and you can therefore value one identity as having more significance to you than the other should you so wish.

Mutually exclusive identities-Such shite. Proud to be Irish but British first and foremost. Confused or what?

The Good Friday Agreement is oft quoted in these parts.

It explicitly provides for what you describe as the brown stuff , should the person feel so inclined.  I think you'll find about 1 million of these type of persons  knocking about Northern Ireland.

This principle was accepted by the vast majority of Nationalist people in Northern Ireland at the time who presumably didn't find it all that confusing .

Dress it up anyway you want but behind it all the Million? people you refer to are British. Irish people don't believe in the Union and don't want the Union.Simple.
I'm not sure if that is just arrogance or plain old blinkered bigotry.

I think going on your views on the Nelson thread,You would be the best judge if whats bigotry. Wise Up will ya,times have changed and the days of Double Standards can no longer be tolerated. Unionists cannot have their cake and eat it.

What do you mean by this?

If it refers to the ability of Unionists to legitimately refer to themselves  as Irish and British those days are here .

I have no problem with people calling themselves British and Irish,I just think it is a bit of a cop-out TBH.Maybe British and Northern Irish but not British and Irish.Thats my opinion.

And frankly neither you nor anybody  should . Whether  you think it is a cop-out is neither here nor there because it is a reality.

British and Northern Irish will do for me too.

Talking of reality I don't see the GAA "bending over backwards to please Unionists ".  That's their choice and they can do or not do  what they like.  Its not for me or anyone else to tell them what to do. Doesn't mean non-Gaels can't hold an opinion on it or feel dis-inclined to join

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Have you ever been to a match Olaf, what county are you from?

heganboy

QuoteNo such place as the Republic of Ireland and no such title, she is the President of Ireland.

technically she's actually "Uachtarán na hÉireann "
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: heganboy on September 30, 2009, 08:04:49 PM

QuoteNo such place as the Republic of Ireland and no such title, she is the President of Ireland.

technically she's actually "Uachtarán na hÉireann "

Sorry what did that mean again?  ::)

Roger

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 30, 2009, 07:21:44 PM
He is from Belfast.  It's not a county even though the county should take the name from the main town according to some. 

It's ironic that in Lynchboy's theory on towns and counties that is only actually taken up by the Orange Order, they have a Belfast County   :D

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Roger on September 30, 2009, 09:01:07 PM
He is from Belfast.  It's not a county even though the county should take the name from the main town according to some. 

It's ironic that in Lynchboy's theory on towns and counties that is only actually taken up by the Orange Order, they have a Belfast County   :D

prob because Antrim was the main town first?
thats a guess, but look at the rest of the country - its not irony - its reality  ....you seem to keep getting mixed up with both !

however I also believe that woger et all are perfectly entitled to be both british and Irish.

it wont mean a jot though come reunification time when the Britich gov sell back the six counties (though when I say sell, the british gov will pay to get rid of them !! :D)

Roger

Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 30, 2009, 10:16:23 PM

prob because Antrim was the main town first?
Like Coleraine?
Quoteit wont mean a jot though come reunification time when the Britich gov sell back the six counties (though when I say sell, the british gov will pay to get rid of them !! :D)
From the guy who pathetically tried to reassure unionists about the reality of his fantasy island and continues to bulldoze and abuse anyone who disgrees agrees with him, it's a complete joke.  Enjoy you life of torment, rage and aggitation. Bye.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

You got a point there Roger, I'm from County Mayo, not County Castlebar  :D

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Roger what county are you from?